2000 FWC Hawk bench to dinette conversion

AmyandTheFinger

We love our 2000 FWC Hawk and have logged many wonderful miles. When we were shopping a few years back for the camper ( used) one of our must haves was dinette seating vs. bench. The deal we found was too good to pass up even though it had a bench. We would love to know if anyone has done a bench tear out and dinette build in a similar camper. Thoughts, plans, tips, suggestions?

It shouldn't be that difficult to do a conversion to a side dinette, as you will have the bench to start with. If you're not wanting to do it yourself, give Marty and Jeff at ATC a call. They do very nice work, not to mention easy and great to work with.

Bill thanks for re posting your camper work. I always enjoy viewing your workmanship.
Tell me about the mirror on the rear lift panel. We use a hand mirror and sometimes it's a real pain.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Bill thanks for re posting your camper work. I always enjoy viewing your workmanship.
Tell me about the mirror on the rear lift panel. We use a hand mirror and sometimes it's a real pain.
Frank
That is the stock 4WC mirror. I do need to move it down it is too high for the wife.

Ronin said:
Hi Bill,

I picked up a 2005 Hawk recently and want to convert from the rollover couch to side dinette. Any idea where I can source the rollover chairs that you have? BTW - beautiful work you did on your Hawk - thanks for the pics!!

Paul
You can get the roll over brackets from FWC. ATC may also carry them. 3 years ago they were $150, I had two sets from my shell; used one and sold the other on WTW for $75. Build your own chair back with plywood and foam.

I'm a newbie here. I like Bill Harr's side dinette conversion. There are a lot of great ideas that I'd like to use in my upcoming build. Thanks for sharing the videos!

Ronin said:
Hi Bill,

I picked up a 2005 Hawk recently and want to convert from the rollover couch to side dinette. Any idea where I can source the rollover chairs that you have? BTW - beautiful work you did on your Hawk - thanks for the pics!!

Paul
I believe you can use the rollover brackets off your couch. They should be the same type of brackets used on a side dinette chair. Looking at Bill's build, you should only need one chair to roll over to convert to a short bed. If it's convenient try to visit the FWC factory and check out how they install the side dinette. Take a lot of pics and take measurements. Keep us posted on your conversion. Good luck!!

billharr said:
You can get the roll over brackets from FWC. ATC may also carry them. 3 years ago they were $150, I had two sets from my shell; used one and sold the other on WTW for $75. Build your own chair back with plywood and foam.
I spoke to Aaron at FWC - they have the brackets, but he said if I have a rollover couch to just use the brackets off of them. I haven't looked at my couch yet because it's been raining for over a week here but it does make sense that the brackets would be the same. I can order the seat bottom cushion and back cushion from them but really pricey at $163.00 and $153.00 each. Ouch!! I'll have to put some effort into finding an upholsterer that can just modify the existing cushions that I won't be needing.

Ronin said:
I spoke to Aaron at FWC - they have the brackets, but he said if I have a rollover couch to just use the brackets off of them. I haven't looked at my couch yet because it's been raining for over a week here but it does make sense that the brackets would be the same. I can order the seat bottom cushion and back cushion from them but really pricey at $163.00 and $153.00 each. Ouch!! I'll have to put some effort into finding an upholsterer that can just modify the existing cushions that I won't be needing.
My 2002 did not have roll over brackets, there was a pull out and you put the back on it to make the lower bed. On the 2002 I cut down the foam and plywood base on the bench to make my cushions. Good friend cut down the covers for the cushions. I did not use a roll over bracket on my 2002 Hawk. I used ski poles and brackets to hold the seat back, you can see then in the video of my 2002 Hawk. Roll over brackets are much better and the way to go.

Bill if you get this ... I have a 2011 Eagle and was thinking of doing the same change to dinette. I have the old roll over couch in the attic so have hardware. I am interested in your table set up... is that a FWC or of your own design? As I have the below couch bench already there it would be a matter of cutting off the are sides to expose the floor area between the seats (have to relocate the second battery into a box in the corner as well).
Do you think it feasible to use the roll over couch back/bed to make the backs for the roll over?
Your work on the cabinets is great. I too will replace the counter top and switch stove and sink locations.
Your work is spot on!
Thanks in advance!

buckland said:
Bill if you get this ... I have a 2011 Eagle and was thinking of doing the same change to dinette. I have the old roll over couch in the attic so have hardware. I am interested in your table set up... is that a FWC or of your own design? As I have the below couch bench already there it would be a matter of cutting off the are sides to expose the floor area between the seats (have to relocate the second battery into a box in the corner as well).
Do you think it feasible to use the roll over couch back/bed to make the backs for the roll over?
Your work on the cabinets is great. I too will replace the counter top and switch stove and sink locations.
Your work is spot on!
Thanks in advance!
Rob we went with the Dinette from new,actually I think it's the 2nd one Marty made.
We really like it.
Somewhere there are posts about using the old hardware from the roll over for new seat backs.
I don't use any seat back for the rear seat as I have a storage cabinet to lean back on.
And the front has the front of the camper.
Works for us.
Frank

Thanks Frank... I have the hardware and the cabinet build will be okay for me ... I just need some 'not reinventing the wheel' measurements for the seat that flips (back) and subsequent foot space (distance between front and rear boxes beneath seats) where it falls to cover foot well.The table shown in the video is great how it can be repositioned. This is a great way to mollify my lust for what is so nice in the new Front dinette Fleet. I would like a place to "be out of the way" leg-wise on a rainy day inside. The bench is great for under the seat storage but that can be compensated by putting a cargo net while traveling across between the two under seat boxes (foot area) and stuffing same things there. Aren't mods fun?! It is the play time between trips making it better... like planning a next trip. This WTW-FWC is getting addicting.

buckland said:
Your work is spot on!
Thanks in advance!
Just got back from Oregon and the total eclipse. I have some work I have to do tomorrow will get back to your questions on Thursday.

Note, the eclipse far exceeded my expectations.

I think I have my plan for the conversion to side dinette using the old rollover couch hardware. I will relocate my second battery to a box built in the passenger side corner. That done and the sketch made I am down to the last measurement needed. The rollover seat back needs to be around 16-17" high so that when it rolls over and fits into the foot space. My question is to those that have done this, after looking at my sketch.... any recommendations on that seat back?

Attachments

• IMG_3503.JPG
    IMG_3503.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 278
buckland said:
Ronin how did the conversion to dinette go? If you have photos ,love to see them.
Sorry- just read your post. The conversion went great inspired by billharr's photo's. I'll put on my contortionist outfit on tomorrow and try to get some decent shots of it to post.

Here's some pics of my side dinette conversion from rollover couch. My Hawk is a 2005 and I strongly suggest to all wanting to do this conversion to figure out their own measurements as there are small variations of cabinet size and configurations between different year FWCs. As a guide I have 24 1/2" between the battery box cabinet under the front window and the cabinet I built for the rollover chair. Most of the build ideas came from billharr's pics of his build. The side cabinets cases are hickory ply with maple face frames. The doors are mahogany with birch panels.I am including pics of the Truckfridge and drawer mod I did early this year. I bought my current Hawk late last year and the 3 way fridge never worked and many thanks go out to those who suggested the TF51. The fridge sits on top of a slide out made of basic plywood. The face frame and drawer are built from red oak which match the original plywood panels really well. I also installed slide outs in 2 of the small cabinets on the left bank. It takes away some from the storage room but it saves from having to dig things out to grab something.

Attachments

• dinette - 1.jpg
    dinette - 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 392
  • dinette - 1 (1).jpg
    dinette - 1 (1).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 417
  • fridge - 1.jpg
    fridge - 1.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 375
  • dinette - 1 (2).jpg
    dinette - 1 (2).jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 365
Thanks Ronin that looks great.
Nice wood to make it a home. The table is FWC or other brand and does it interfere with the rollover?
I too installed this year an Isotherm in the same spot. A Big improvement. Red oak at 1/2" is about the same
weight as ply and if you leave room for expansion/contraction makes a real pretty counter top.
Great mods!

Back
Top Bottom