2000 FWC Hawk bench to dinette conversion

buckland said:
Thanks Ronin that looks great.
Nice wood to make it a home. The table is FWC or other brand and does it interfere with the rollover?
I too installed this year an Isotherm in the same spot. A Big improvement. Red oak at 1/2" is about the same
weight as ply and if you leave room for expansion/contraction makes a real pretty counter top.
Great mods!
The table is from my old Westphalia. The pedestal is from FWC. After a lot of internal debate I decided I didn't want to make the seats higher so the table does interfere with the rollover. I did use 5/16 threaded inserts to secure the pedestal so it's easily removed. In retrospect, if I ever had to do it again I wouldn't bother with a rollover chair and just go with my own homemade chair back that can be just lifted out and used to fill the gap between the seats. I think that what billharr did on one of his builds. It would make it easier to have the seat cushions made and better options (much cheaper) on a table pedestal. Perhaps if I ever go with a new shell model ATC!!

Ah ... I think I'll go with the table mount that Bill suggested. And from my estimate Bill's dimensions of 24x20" seems right for my space in the Eagle 2011. I might have a lift off top under the seat cushion but also keep the under the foot side of the seat box off so one can set your feet back a bit when seated. Probably will just have to make it and install the rollover, then make the seat back to fit. Also want to get the table mount to be sure it works for my setup. If not hopefully be able to return it. I am also hopefully getting a new counter top that I will put in and cut an opening to have the stove near the fridge. Easier to get up and make coffee before the Mrs gets up and pushes the bed back.... as it is now the stove top is under the bed pul out. Thanks again for the inspiring photos.

Just an update I noticed the table pole length was too long for the Eagle to mount as the plate would have to be 10" above floor. I contacted the company and they said it is possible to cut 3 1/2" off the center pole but one would need to re-drill a hole for the locking mechanism. Always a twist.

billharr said:
That came out great. Love to see what others have done to their campers.
Thanks - it's a lot of fun making these mods. Now that I have my Hawk where I want it, I'll probably sell it ( half serious) and buy a new ATC shell. It takes awhile to figure out your ideal setup. I built my 1st camper in '79 starting out with a brand new 1 ton Chevy Van - back in the day when you had to order it and wait 2-3 months for the factory to build it. My first trip in it was to Death Valley armed with the only book I could find on the subject - a geology book. What???..no internet?! As luck would have it the Iranian hostage crisis doubled the price of gasoline during those years - not a good time to have a 10mpg daily driver. Ok I'm showing my age!!

Ronin said:
Here's some pics of my side dinette conversion from rollover couch. My Hawk is a 2005 and I strongly suggest to all wanting to do this conversion to figure out their own measurements as there are small variations of cabinet size and configurations between different year FWCs. As a guide I have 24 1/2" between the battery box cabinet under the front window and the cabinet I built for the rollover chair. Most of the build ideas came from billharr's pics of his build. The side cabinets cases are hickory ply with maple face frames. The doors are mahogany with birch panels.I am including pics of the Truckfridge and drawer mod I did early this year. I bought my current Hawk late last year and the 3 way fridge never worked and many thanks go out to those who suggested the TF51. The fridge sits on top of a slide out made of basic plywood. The face frame and drawer are built from red oak which match the original plywood panels really well. I also installed slide outs in 2 of the small cabinets on the left bank. It takes away some from the storage room but it saves from having to dig things out to grab something.
Very nice interior photos.
Looks like it works well for you.
Great cabinet work.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Very nice interior photos.
Looks like it works well for you.
Great cabinet work.
Frank
Thanks Frank,

It's fun when you don't have to do it. It does get claustrophobic at times working in those tight spaces!

Back at it after doing all the winterization chores for the home. (no furnace...heat with wood stove). I have the Eagle 2011 on a 4x6 trailer in the barn next to my work shop so I now, for the first time can leave it popped up and work on it (albeit cold inside) in the winter.
I finished the dinette conversion from the bench, using the couch rollover hardware and 1/4 L stock (angle) aluminum. Pretty much like Bill's. I have made the cushions but not found a seamster to make the covers... my wife hates to sew and I am limited to straight-line sewing. I relocated the second battery into a baltic birch ply box with red oak top. It is 12" high tucked into the corner (passenger front). I chose this as I like to have my elbow sit on top as an armrest rather that a tall cabinet ... gives me more shoulder room in that seat.

Then came the table support. I bought the Lagun mount (now on sale and cheaper and imo better than FWC) https://www.rv-table-mount.com I had to modify it. I cut off 3.5" off the vertical arm as the Eagle side wall mount is higher and then found the plate also needed to be shortened so I cut an inch and a half off and re-drilled the two hole cut off in the process. (I used a 1/2" bit to counter sink the holes to match the stainless bolt heads). Drilled through the wall and mounted it. It is rock solid. My first idea was to use 1/2" red oak for a table and then I thought as I was replacing the counter top I'd get a table that matched. I ordered the solid counter (I will put stove hole in myself) and the table (20x24) and hopefully it will arrive with the campers being shipped to Mainline Overland's new place in NH. I will go get them as soon as they arrive.

In the mean time today was oddly warm (tomorrow night 28) but today was 58! I did not have fun but getting the stove and sink off was fairly easy. However...... the counter top screws and L brackets were tucked behind water lines, gas pipe and electric wires and one needed a lot of patience and skinned knuckles. I wish I hadn't been so good a chalking the joint where the fridge I installed comes down to the counter. That was the bear. But it finally came free and I have it in the shop to use as a reference on the new one. The new counter will be set up so the gas stove is no longer under the pull out bed. I get up early and want to make coffee and the Mrs is in bed!
We have never used the sink other than as storage with a wood chopping board fitted cover. So I will keep the sink in the attic if I change my mind. Instead I will install the pump faucet such that we can put out tupperware washing up pan under it (it will be an inch away from the opened bed). This will allow to still fill the coffee pot in the AM. If I put the sink in it would still be under the bed but the faucet will reach when bed is put away).

Sitting in the new dinette is great. Should have chosen the dinette from the get go but now we know! I still think the front dinette is better use of space but not possible without a complete tear out. I will take some snaps soon I hope. Again... the advice I got here on WTW has been and is the best.

buckland said:
The new counter will be set up so the gas stove is no longer under the pull out bed. I get up early and want to make coffee and the Mrs is in bed!
We have never used the sink other than as storage with a wood chopping board fitted cover. So I will keep the sink in the attic if I change my mind. Instead I will install the pump faucet such that we can put out tupperware washing up pan under it (it will be an inch away from the opened bed). This will allow to still fill the coffee pot in the AM. If I put the sink in it would still be under the bed but the faucet will reach when bed is put away).
Good plan. We have our faucet set up that way, and other than having to duck under the bed in the morning, it works great.

Here are a couple shots in the process.

Attachments

• IMG_3816.jpg
    IMG_3816.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_3818.jpg
    IMG_3818.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 293
Nice work. Glad you are liking the new arrangement. You might try an auto,boat, or furniture upholsterer or restorer to sew your seat covers. A local auto detail shop did my covers - used the fabric from my old seats so everything matches. Keep posting pics of your project!!

Hay Ronin
Nice job on the conversion. I like the net that you installed and was wondering where you picked it up. Looks like it's beefy net.
Russ

CougarCouple said:
Hay Ronin
Nice job on the conversion. I like the net that you installed and was wondering where you picked it up. Looks like it's beefy net.
Russ
I've bought nets from various places. I think the net I used on my current camper is from organizedobie. The small nets on the inside of the cabinet doors worked fine but the wide net above the front window pulled in from the top and bottom in the center of the net. I contacted the company and after a 2 week wait I finally got ahold of someone and to make a long story short the result was very unsatisfactory. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I think I found nets at Camper World a couple of years ago.

Ronin said:
I've bought nets from various places. I think the net I used on my current camper is from organizedobie. The small nets on the inside of the cabinet doors worked fine but the wide net above the front window pulled in from the top and bottom in the center of the net. I contacted the company and after a 2 week wait I finally got ahold of someone and to make a long story short the result was very unsatisfactory. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I think I found nets at Camper World a couple of years ago.
Just Googled cargo net storage and saw this company - looks promising!

http://www.rigritemfg.com/pages/cargo_Nets.html

Thanks Ronin
Was looking (thinking about using some nets) for nets to possible place in the corner passenger side front. Kinda like a basket, but could use 2-3. As opposed to making a cabinet. Like the net idea as you can see what you looking for and not trying to remember.
Thanks for the link, when I saw the ones on the doors l liked the look of them.
Russ

Back
Top Bottom