2001 eagle model

journeygirl

Hi all -

I've been looking into buying an eagle shell for my 2005 Toyota Tacoma. I just found a 2001 used eagle camper. I'm wondering what kind of changes and improvements have been made in the past 15 years. Does anyone know the 2001 model and how it compares to the new eagle campers? Are there significant changes that have been made? The used one seems like a good deal, but I'd like to hear if anyone knows about the newer models and whether there is are good reasons to buy a newer one. Thanks!

journeygirl said:
Hi all -

I've been looking into buying an eagle shell for my 2005 Toyota Tacoma. I just found a 2001 used eagle camper. I'm wondering what kind of changes and improvements have been made in the past 15 years. Does anyone know the 2001 model and how it compares to the new eagle campers? Are there significant changes that have been made? The used one seems like a good deal, but I'd like to hear if anyone knows about the newer models and whether there is are good reasons to buy a newer one. Thanks!
If the 2001 is in good shape,go for it you can save a ton of money ,so you have some to spend on"building" the camper as you want it.
Frank

I have a 2000 eagle on my truck. Its a little rough for wear (mostly my fault) but still very solid. Be sure to check the vinyl very closely and to make sure they applied 303 or another type of vinyl protector at least once a year.

Things I have noticed that the newer models changed (anybody feel free to step in):
-Wiring, the old campers have solid core wires (stiffer) and I believe the newer campers have braided
-Propane location/tank style, I like the old single tank style vs the new two tank.
-Lift gates, I believe the newer ones are no longer made out of wood
-Door, newer doors have rounded corners

Depending on the condition you may have to do some work but all said and done if it is in decent shape and good price don't hesitate.

Thanks so much for this input! Do you know if it would be possible/ difficult to wire for solar with this older wiring?

It shouldn't be that difficult. The ceiling is made up of fiberglass insulation so it should not be that hard to run the wires from the plug on the roof to the lift gate (where the wires for the light come down). Once you get it to the lift gate it just follow the black and yellow wires to reach the fuse box or follow the white and back wires to the battery. The hardest and most important part is sealing the roof around the wires.

Here is a photo of when I had my ceiling taken apart. This is at the back looking forward to the front of the camper.
gallery_4850_816_1147937.jpg

I personally prefer the older model Ranger II/Eagle models more that the later editions. The old style couch gives you 7" more usable aisle space than the newer roll over couch and they are several hundred pounds lighter.

cwd

Thanks all. I didn't get to that used one in time. Now I"m trying to decide whether to go for a new eagle shell before they stop making them in a few days!

I wanted to get a few options in the shell - a furnace so that we can camp in the winter, a roll over couch, and a solar panel. I read in another post about the option of having the couch on the opposite side so that it is not blocking the window. It seems like a bummer to sit on the couch with the window blocked behind your back. But I just learned that it isn't possible to get the furnace option and the couch across from the window because there isn't room for that layout. Has anyone creatively dealt with this issue? Thanks!

It would be nice to have that way. But I wouldn't give up my furnace, stove combo to do that. You have to remember even if you were across from the window your head is above it. You would be looking at the ground.
In a shell without curtains the couch does provide a reasonable amount of privacy.
The bed cushions also make a nice seat on the passenger side ledge. You can sit there and semi fold the couch for a view and additional light.

You were referring to my thread so I'm sure you've seen the pics.
I have the eagle shell with both vents( if ordering I would get them with the basic fans).
Stove, furnace combo. Haven't used the stove yet but glad I have it.
Rollover couch. I can sleep on it no prob and I'm 6' over 200#.
Battery package.
If you camp in campgrounds occasionally shore power package might be nice. I just stick an extension cord through a tie down door.
I would get the solar connector already installed in both places on a new one. But would do the rest myself. If you get the roof rack tracks the panels can be mounted there.
I'll eventually add the Trimetric monitor and the matching charge controller. Seems like the best option out there.

I also plan to put a Truck Fridge in the truck cab. I have a pass thru window in both the truck and camper. I think it will keep any noise up front and frees up space in the camper. We normally cook outside anyway.

Other than that I really like the openness of the shell.

I'm sure others may add to or subtract from these suggestions. But this might give you a place to start. Everyone has different needs and wants.

Ask if they can mount couch in front. Suggest 2 batteries, and the rails. If you have the funds get the solar panel and controller from FWC. Might be able to get curtains. Consider thermal liner, stove, fantastic fan, extra vent.

You didn't mention water or fridge so I assume you weren't planning on those.

Good luck. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

One more question. I've seen a couple more used eagle campers out there. Have the eagle campers or shells changed their basic dimensions over the years? Will an eagle camper of any year since 2000 fit a 6 foot bed on a Tacoma truck? It looks like the dimensions have stayed the same...

Back
Top Bottom