2001 Tacoma, Std cab, 2WD enough truck for shell Fleet?

munchmeister

Advanced Member
Noob here. Got a chance to buy 2001 Tacoma, Std cab 2 WD and wanna put a shell model adding jacks to it but not much else. I'll use Coleman stove. Mr Buddy heater, water jugs, maybe a small fridge. One person, used to packing light enough to live off a motorcycle for a few days at a time. Might pull a small, light motorcycle trailer with a Honda CRF250L on it (350 lbs). Am I just asking for it? Anybody carry a Fleet shell with this truck config? TIA.

I'm not sure what a Fleet shell weighs, but you would probably have to beef up the rear springs, either with additional leaves or air springs.

2001 Tacomas had that fatal frame-rust problem, so investigate carefully before you buy! I'm pretty sure Toyota's buy-back recall program on those has ended.

- Bernard

We had an 88 Toyota pick up (pre-Tacoma) with an 89 Fleet that was pretty loaded (strove, sink, three-way refrigerator, etc.). It had the old 22ER motor. I had a local spring shop re-arch the stock springs and add a leaf. This set up worked very well for the 10 years that we had that camper with one drawback, it did not do particularly well climbing long, steep hills . . . . and I see that you live in Colorado. Something to think about.

Back
Top Bottom