2002 'hawk' on my 07 F350 superduty longbox?

jeffyg

Advanced Member
hi all first off i want to say hello to everyone on the forum some great reading on here!

i have a question i was hoping some of you can help me out with. i am looking for a popup for my truck (2007 F350 longbox diesel with extended cab NOT crew cab)

i have searched and poked around all over this forum and still haven't found what i am looking for but am sure its been done already.

i understand that being a super duty this will have to be jacked up approx 3 inches to clear the truck cab but how will the trailer sit in the truck bed. idealy i would have it all the way forward so i can close the tailgate and still be able to store my jerry can's, spare propane, and tire chains in the truck box.

but looking at the pictures i notice that where the wheel wells will be probably won't allow it all the way forward leaving me to thinking i could put it all the way back just forward enough to shut the tailgate... and leave approx 13 inches in front of the trailer for a milk crate, propane tank, and some jerry cans.

anyone have any imput or pictures of a similar setup? i will be towing my tandum sled trailer into the back country so i have to stay light and low and be able to pack extra fuel along

thanks hoping for some replies
jeff

jeffyg, welcome to the family!

We have a 2000 Hawk that we purchased for our 1998 F150 supercab as an experiment to see if we liked the FWC camping life. We did!

Now we have the Hawk mounted on our 2006 F250 FX4 CC SB. There's about 4-1/2 inches of space between the front of the camper and the front of the box. And we had to lay 2x4's flat-wise to get the overhang to clear the cab.

If Stan responds to your IP, that would be great, 'cause he's got the official word on what fits what. Meanwhile, browse on over to the FWC website to see what's posted there.

But above all, welcome!

Mark

P.S.: I'll get some pictures of camper on truck by and by...

thanks for the replies guys keep em coming.

i know someone out there has the picture i am looking for! i don't think by looking at the specs that in my application (hawk/F350longbox) that i would be able to get the camper all the way to the front like the picture in that thread.

thanks again!
jef

edited to add: i don't think it will look to bad all the way back with some covered storage in front....

I'm thinking that, too.

If you have a longbox, then definitely go with a grandby or keystone!

I'm thinking you'll be happier with the Grandby, also. Carying extra fuel on the trailer. There will be room inside the unit for your chains.

i see what you guys are saying for sure but location is a bit of an issue for me (i live way up in northern bc) and i have found a 2002 'hawk' down where i am visiting for 4500cdn with a furnace.

I understand your situation regarding the Hawk and think you'd be happier with a Grandby or Keystone. However, just to through out some ideas...I wonder if you could fit a fuel transfer tank between the back of the cab and the front of the Hawk, then add some custom built boxes to fill in the rest of the space above the transfer tank. Lots of fuel and extra storage!

good idea i thought of that too... there are some small tidy tanks that would fit for sure...

hello jeffry....where are you in northern b.c..
we are in the yukon..

robbie

hello jeffry....where are you in northern b.c..
we are in the yukon..

robbie

living in terrace, bc. not a bad part of the world at all

hawk on a 250

hi all first off i want to say hello to everyone on the forum some great reading on here!

i have a question i was hoping some of you can help me out with. i am looking for a popup for my truck (2007 F350 longbox diesel with extended cab NOT crew cab)

i have searched and poked around all over this forum and still haven't found what i am looking for but am sure its been done already.

i understand that being a super duty this will have to be jacked up approx 3 inches to clear the truck cab but how will the trailer sit in the truck bed. idealy i would have it all the way forward so i can close the tailgate and still be able to store my jerry can's, spare propane, and tire chains in the truck box.

but looking at the pictures i notice that where the wheel wells will be probably won't allow it all the way forward leaving me to thinking i could put it all the way back just forward enough to shut the tailgate... and leave approx 13 inches in front of the trailer for a milk crate, propane tank, and some jerry cans.

anyone have any imput or pictures of a similar setup? i will be towing my tandum sled trailer into the back country so i have to stay light and low and be able to pack extra fuel along

thanks hoping for some replies
jeff

Jeff, my hawk is on a 250 diesel ford shortbed. When I originally bought my camper I had a 150 ford shortbed. After changing to the bigger truck I had FWC build a box thats connected to the bottom of the camper, it seems to work very well. I had tried the 2x4s layed flat, but it didn't seem right. Also, if your camper is against the cab of the truck you can put a boot in (from FWC) and have access from camper to truck. I never take my camper off so the hawk works well on the 250, it doesn't look so big. Hope this helps. Enjoy, Terri

here are some pics of a short bed (hawk) camper on a long bed truck.

also a pic of a sample platform under the camper.

hope this helps with a visual.

Attachments

• wood base platform.jpg
    wood base platform.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Hawk on Long Bed Dodge.jpg
    Hawk on Long Bed Dodge.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Hawk on long bed truck.jpg
    Hawk on long bed truck.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 410
  • short bed camper on a long bed truck.JPG
    short bed camper on a long bed truck.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 814
Terrace is a good town. We used to live near Smithers at Trout CREEK, just a few miles from Moricetown. SO got to TERRACE quite often.
Still get down to smithers for steelhead fishing in the Bulkley River, every so often..

robbie

thanks for the replies and pictures guey sorry it took soo long to get back on here.

well i ended up picking up the camper for 4200 in great shape! and have since put about 1000km on it and a few nights in it and its great!

i will take some pictures of it today or tomorrow and post them here for you guys to see... it actually looks really good on a white long box truck, i mounted it so i have enough room to still shut the tailgate and i think the room up front for propane and fuel jerry cans and possibly a ski rack mounted across the truck bed.

i put my thule 'rocket box' on the roof and it fits well on the aluminum rack that is on there however i am not sure if i want to keep it on there even empty.. seems like keeping it on there might be a bit more weight then i want.. anyone else have one of these on their truck? when the roof is down all that will be in there is 2 pairs of skis and poles and they will be removed once the roof is going up

thanks again for the imput
jeff

a few quick pix

going to be doing a little minor adjusting but this is the just of it

Attachments

• hawk1.jpg
    hawk1.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 227
  • hawk2.jpg
    hawk2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 227
  • hawk3.jpg