2006 Tacoma warning

blutaco

My 2006 Tacoma carries our FWCEagle. Last week brake pedal went to floor, only emergency brake could stop trick. Found steel brake line rusted through. Shop replaced all stel lines with copper nickel but warned about other rust. Testing frame with ball pein hammer found frame rusted through on both sides just aft of front wheels. Live in New England so more salt than elsewhere but suggest other owners beware.

blutaco said:
My 2006 Tacoma carries our FWCEagle. Last week brake pedal went to floor, only emergency brake could stop trick. Found steel brake line rusted through. Shop replaced all stel lines with copper nickel but warned about other rust. Testing frame with ball pein hammer found frame rusted through on both sides just aft of front wheels. Live in New England so more salt than elsewhere but suggest other owners beware.
Check with your dealer.Last year there was a recall for "rust through" problems.Even if you didn't buy the truck new the recall was still useable.This recall went back if I remember correctly for all 1st gen Tundras.
It's worth a check.Free fixing is good.
OK my bad you have Tacoma.Well it's worth a check with the dealer.
Frank

I had a tundra and frame rusting was a big concern on the forums. I think Toyota did finally issue a recall, please check with your local Toyota dealer

Here are some photos. Took 2006 Tacoma to dealer, factory rep took photos, waiting for reply.

Those are some ugly photos! I think I will be crawling under my 2011 to take a look tomorrow. Like you, I live in a winter road salt state. I will be interested to hear what Toyota has to say.

So I crawled under the truck to see what I could see. Pleasantly relieved- very little rust so far. Some dirt but no observable rust on the frame. A bit on the springs but I am probably going to replace them anyway. Of course, who knows what the next five years may bring. I guess I will do periodic inspections and keep my can of rustoleum handy.

gallery_2966_573_1855550.jpg

gallery_2966_573_504648.jpg

Back
Top Bottom