2006 Toyota Tundra Traction Control

FairfaxFWC

Advanced Member
I am hoping that those of you with 2006 (or earlier) Toyota Tundra Double Cab, 4X4 can help me out. I took my new (to me) truck on it's first long trip last weekend and had a strange experience with the traction control (VSC) system. On about 4 or 5 tight right turns the traction control system activated, including the alarm and braking system. I did not feel a loss of traction at the time, but the system obviously thought something was amiss. I have a Hawk camper, Bilstein 5100 shocks, Hellwig sway bar and Firestone Ride Rite air bags. I also have BFG AT tires...C rated. The only think I can think of is that the sway bar may have been lifting the inside rear tire causing it to spin a bit and the VSC system kicked in at this point.

Any ideas, help or similar stories would be greatly appreciated!!

Hmmm. Would like more detail on the VSC issue. I've got an 06 Tundra AC rigged nearly identical: Helweg, Bilstein 5100's, Ride-Rites, BFG (E rated) + Hawk and have not experienced anything unusual. You say you were doing tight, right turns. I assume you were in 4WD low? Uphill or downhill (my guess)? What happens when the alarm/brake system is activated?

The only think I can think of is that the sway bar may have been lifting the inside rear tire causing it to spin a bit and the VSC system kicked in at this point.

You may be right. We had an identical set-up except for the sway bar and E-rated tires and never had a problem.

I've got the exact same set up as you minus the sway bars and you have me baffled. More details might help.

Here are more specifics. I was in two wheel drive, the tires are at about 47 lbs and the sway bar is in the middle of the three available positions...figured that was a neutral place to start. I was going about 35-45 entering the turns on a paved, and I think mostly dry road. At the apex of each turn the VSC alarm would sound and, although I was probably on the brakes, the truck would apply them harder than I was. You could also tell that the ABS was being activated. I'm going to take the truck into the dealer to see if they notice anything and I'll report back. I'm a little worried about the "C" rated tires. I had "D" rated on my T100 and they seemed to be overly stiff and overkill for a 1/2 ton truck. "E" also seemed to be overkill...more for a 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I couldn't find "D" rated BFG's that would fit my 17" rims without going to a much larger size, so I decided to go with the "C"'s. They do seem a bit softer and the truck does sway a bit more than I would like, given that I have good shocks, airbags and a sway bar. This may have contributed to the VSC activation as I said above.

Back
Top Bottom