2006 Tundra Helper springs or air bags

beerbrewer

I have a FWC Kestrel and it has been on a Toyota T-100 and I have upgraded to a 2006 Tundra double cab. Just wondering if folks are using air bags, helper springs, or nothing at all. I am open to all suggestions. I do quite a bit of off road driving, Forest Service roads and spur roads. If you are using either helpers or air bags how has it effected the ride without the camper in the bed of the truck? Thanks for the advice.

I have a 2005 Tundra with a Hawk. I have air bags and they work well for what I do. Don't forget a sway bar. I have a Helwig and is makes a BIG difference.

Bill

I have a 2005 Tundra with a Hawk. I have air bags and they work well for what I do. Don't forget a sway bar. I have a Helwig and is makes a BIG difference.

Bill

Thanks for the reply, did you notice that the ride got stiffer once you added the air bags when the camper isn't in the back of the pickup? How did the sway bars help things?

Thanks for the reply, did you notice that the ride got stiffer once you added the air bags when the camper isn't in the back of the pickup? How did the sway bars help things?

Sway bar stops the sway if you are on a windy road of have to make a quick turn. I had some asshat cut me off on I-5 and had to move to the other lane quickly. I did not even think about the camper on the truck. I could fell the sway bar keeping the camper from leaning. Actually it makes so much difference I would add it to the truck with out the camper.

I just drop the bags to 10 psi with the camper is off. I did add 10 ply tires later and they make the ride stiff with the camper off.

Bill

Sway bar stops the sway if you are on a windy road of have to make a quick turn. I had some asshat cut me off on I-5 and had to move to the other lane quickly. I did not even think about the camper on the truck. I could fell the sway bar keeping the camper from leaning. Actually it makes so much difference I would add it to the truck with out the camper.

I just drop the bags to 10 psi with the camper is off. I did add 10 ply tires later and they make the ride stiff with the camper off.

Bill

Is your camper in the back of your truck right now? If not could you post a shot of where your mounts are in the bed of the truck? I used to have the camper in the back of my Toyota T-100 and the spot that they used to put the eye bolts actually bent my bed. I am thinking that the mounts should be closer to the edge of the bed so it will have more torsional strength. Also with the bed being bent up the turn buckles would loosen as it bends more.

I've got a similar rig: 06 Tundra AC with Hawk installed only part time.
Like Bill, I've got a sway bar and air bags. I like the sway bar for both curvy paved roads and off road.

When the FWC is off the truck I drop to 10psi, when installed I run as much as 60psi. I don't notice any particular stiffness when driving unloaded.

Here's a photo of the install:

The only problem I have had with the Ride Rites was the cheapy bolts they provide. I popped two of them in DV on during the same trip! Now I've replaced the original nuts&bolts with grade 8's from my local hardware store and have had zero problems since.

2004 Tundra w/Timbrens here. No bounce, no sway. Camper has been on full time for about 50K.

Perfect for my uses. No pumps..no gauges...no airing up/down/etc.

happy trails

mtn

Back
Top Bottom