2007 Grandby for sale-SOLD

buzzman

It's time to sell our much loved Grandby. I'm asking $9000 for it. I'm listing here on WTW first. The members on this forum were very helpful back in the summer of 2007 when I was trying to decide what kind of truck camper to buy and which options to choose. I purchased this camper in October 2007 through Sean and Diana Dempsey in Eagle WI. They were a lot of help too.

This camper works best on an 8 foot bed, at least 3/4 ton truck. I currently have it on a 1998 Dodge 2500 and it's a very good match. The first three years I had it on a 1/2 ton Chevy, but it was a bit heavy for the 1/2T truck I had. Some of the newer HD 1/2 trucks may do okay with it. The camper weighs 1320 lbs dry. We have used the camper an average of two to three months each year touring the USA and Canada. And it has been an absolute blast! When not actually travelling, it has been stored inside my climate controlled shop. It has been well maintained, and everything works, looks, and smells like new. I have applied "303" protectant a couple times a year to the soft pop-up material and the rubber trim. The soft side material and rubber seals are like new. There are no scratches or dents on the exterior. The interior is like new. Never any leaks or mildew. The camper stays on the truck most of the time without the corner jacks bolted on, so they are like new. These FWC campers are built sturdy and this one has held up very well over the seven plus years we have traveled with it.

This camper has most of the options that were available in 2007, except no hot water/outdoor shower system, and the front window is not a slider. Without the hot water system the plumbing is simplified and there is more storage space. If we need hot water, we just heat it up on the kitchen stove.

On the roof, it has front and rear powered vent fans. The front fan is a 10 speed, reversible, Maxxfan that can be operated when it's raining. The rear fan is a Fantastic three speed, reversible fan. It also has a full length factory roof rack, suitable for mounting a solar panel if you want.

For the interior, I have added toy box lid supports to the under seat storage lids so they stay open when we are digging around for things. The lid supports are strong enough to hold the seat cushion up. I have also added a Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relay to separate the truck batteries from the camper battery. And it has a digital thermostat for the furnace. Other than these changes, it is all factory stock.

Here's a list of what it has:

80 amp hour AGM battery (purchased new in Sep 2014)
Blue Sea System SI-ACR battery separator (with manual battery cutoff to positively separate the camper and truck batteries when desired)
Iota converter/ charging system with IQ4 Smart Charger add on
20 lb propane tank, (propane regulator replaced Feb 2015)
20 gal water tank with 12v water pump
3-way 3 cubic foot frig that works great. (has the add-on cooling fan with inside control)
Propane furnace with digital thermostat
Rollover couch
Extra tall rear closet
Extended bed (which was an option in 2007, standard now I think)
Two burner cook top
Stainless steel sink
Porta potti
12v and 110v outlets
Interior florescent lights
LP and CO detectors (that were replaced in 2014)
Outdoor flood lights and porch lights
Rear wall steps
8' side awning
Screen door
Front and rear powered vent fans as mentioned above
Factory roof rack
A factory 12v electric post roof lift
Solar plug on roof
It also has the factory table, that I have never used
Four turnbuckle tie-downs
Wiring harness that goes from the truck batteries to the camper

I'm asking $9000. I live in west TN near Memphis. I can deliver it, within reason, and can help with the install on your truck. I will be in Colorado, at Fort Lupton, sometime in April, probably late April. Let me know if you have any questions or want any other information, photos, etc. I'll add more photos in additional posts.

Buzz

IMG_0007.resized.JPG
IMG_0010.resized.JPG
IMG_0015.resized.JPG
IMG_0040.resized.JPG

What is the aluminum structure on the back of the roof?

JJ, that is just part of the FWC roof rack. It provides a place to strap things...sort of like a basket. When I was using a regular cab truck and needed extra cargo space, I would use bungy cords to hold things on the roof. I carried folding chairs, the Zodi Extreme shower, the portable grill, etc. up there. I don't use it as much now with the quad cab truck I have.

Buzz

Here's some better pictures of the rear of the roof rack on the 2007 Grandby. The roof rack is 3" high...basically three layers of 1" aluminum square tubing stacked up. With the three layers of aluminum tubing the roof rack is fairly sturdy. With the roof lowered, I can set a 1/2" piece of plywood on it to spread the load so I can crawl up there and lay on the roof to do maintenance. I found a picture to show how we strapped some gear to the rear of the roof...back when we were using the regular cab '77 Chevy to haul the Grandby.

Buzz

Attachments

• P7230025.resized.JPG
    P7230025.resized.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0074.resized.JPG
    IMG_0074.resized.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0071.resized.JPG
    IMG_0071.resized.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 114
Thanks for that info, buzzman. I've read about the aluminum tube racks but hadn't seen a pic of one yet.

Do you have the external measurements? I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and there have been some changes to the bed design since 2007, so I need to know whether it will fit, or what mods might be necessary. Base to wing height, base to cabover, etc.

Anyone reading this have experience putting a 2007 Grandby on a late model Ram 2500?

JJ, here's the dimensions:

Base to wing = 21 1/2"
Base to cabover = 46"
Width at rear of base = 58"

At the rear, I have 1 1/2" of space on each side of the tailgate opening on '98 Dodge.

Buzz

JJ1 said:
Thanks for that info, buzzman. I've read about the aluminum tube racks but hadn't seen a pic of one yet.

Do you have the external measurements? I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and there have been some changes to the bed design since 2007, so I need to know whether it will fit, or what mods might be necessary. Base to wing height, base to cabover, etc.

Anyone reading this have experience putting a 2007 Grandby on a late model Ram 2500?
Have you read this info on the FWC website? Looks like it should fit.

Buzzman,
I am very interested in your camper. I have a question, will the corner jacks lift the camper 42 inches off the ground? The distance from the ground to the bottom of my truck bed is 41 inches.

Buzz
I ask the same question to the dealer I am working with on ordering a new FWC, I will let you know if he gets back to me. I also need to go out and measure the distance on my truck from the bed to the top of the cab. The FWC websites says I may need a platform, for a used FWC to fit my 2006 F-350.

MC0321

Nice camper at a fair price, it should move quickly.
I have to ask you about the 12 volt lifter you have pictured. I've never seen anything like it, how well does it work? Was this made by FWC or another company for them?

Thanks
DanT

mc0321, if my measuring is correct, the jacks will lift the base of the camper 47" off the ground when they are fully extended. However, they seem somewhat unstable.

Buzz

Dan, the 12v lifter post was made by the FWC factory and they included it with my new camper, at no cost me if I remember correctly. Back in 2007, FWC was apparently experimenting with different lift assist systems and I think this was one of the things they were trying. I used to carry it with me when I was travelling with stuff stored on the rear of the roof rack, just in case the roof was too hard to raise, or I suddenly got weaker. It works the best for lifting the rear...not so good when lifting the front end. I have practiced using it and in my opinion, it is somewhat clumsy to use...and very slow. So far, I have never needed to use it while travelling. This camper also originally had a pair of gas struts mounted inside near the front of the over cab bed, that pushed against the front lift panels. I think they were somewhat experimental also. I removed them after about a year because they really didn't help much and they got in the way when sleeping at the front. You might be able to see the factory holes used to mount the brackets to the front lift panels in my picture of the cab over bed...on each end, about half way up. I removed the brackets but never covered the rivet holes. I can't seem to find any of my pictures with the gas struts hooked up. I still have all the parts.

FWC has developed better lift assist systems now and I think they could be retrofitted to the old campers.

Buzz

1. Buzz, thank you for the info, I have decided to order a new FWC. It was a tough decision as yours looks so nice, just didn't have some of the options I was looking for and decided not to compromise for once in my life. Thank you, MC0321

Back
Top Bottom