2011 Hawk Electrical Problems

AZ Pat

I have a 2011 FWC Hawk and I'm at a loss figuring out the electrical. Here's what happened.

I left it plugged into shore power for a little while and then the 12V power supply wouldn't work even though the batteries were fully charged. Then, after unplugging the 120V power and plugging back in, neither 12V nor 120V works at all.

I've checked the voltage on the shore hookup and interior batteries and even though both of those systems power supplies are working, absolutely nothing in the camper is working.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Sounds like your converter may have gone bad then. That would be about the only thing I could think of other then something in your breaker box or fuse pannel going south. I would get a volt meter and check if you have power both 12v and 110v going into it and if nothing is coming out you have found the problem. Good luck.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

Update, checked AC and DC voltage going into the converter.

12V DC in converter is just fine, also when I hit the DC reset switch under the dinette seat, above the battery bank all of the lights turn on on the converter, but nothing else.

No AC going in

Tracked up to the outlet under the kitchen counter that is supposedly connected to the 120V power source (this is the one you access by taking the left hand drawers out and reaching all the way back toward the outer wall of the unit on the side dinette configuration).

plugged into this outlet are both the fridge and converter, so there's no juice going to either.

This is the earliest point in the circuit that I have determined there's no AC activity. What comes before this, that I should check?

You should have AC breakers in the AC section of a distribution panel. If the breakers are all on, then you will need to trace from the camper outside AC connection into the AC distribution panel. The interior outlets, as is the converter, are on the load side of the AC breaker panel so you need to keep going upstream until you are outside the camper.

A few things come to mind, but all things you may have already checked.

1. Maybe the outlet in the garage you are plugging into doesn't have power ?
2. Maybe the extension cord you are using is bad?
3. Maybe the one of the AC circut breakers inside your camper cabinets is bad, or has a loose wire?
4. Something else, somewhere, is not plugged in?
5. Do you have any "in-line" fuses near the camper battery posts? Check those if you have them. They are a small blade style fuse, 30 amp.
6. Did you buy the camper used, and maybe the original owner did some electrical modifications? I don't remember FWC installing any "reset" switches under the dinette seating ?? <<I hit the DC reset switch under the dinette>>

The AC 120V side of things inside the FWC's is really simple and rarely has problems.
The DC side is usually wired great too, but 12V DC has many more items that can be checked / need to be chacked when you are having a problem.

You can always call our service department if need be.
Ask for Roy (800) 242-1442

Figured it out, Stan- you saved the day, I found some in-line fuses tangled up under the batteries that were blown. Also, coincidentally, the ground feed coming out of the shore power plug on the exterior wall came loose somehow.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

Happy trails, all

Back
Top Bottom