2012 Early-January to Central Nevada

Good stuff Mark. All untapped territory for me. Very motivating pics. Nice trip.

Yep-Mark, another good trip, wish i'd run over there before the snow hit:LOL: too!

Smoke

Really enjoyed reading your trip report, and love the photos, as always. You covered territory I know nothing about. I've got the Nevada Benchmark open to compare with your maps. Thanks for posting!

Even though I've been out that way many times, Mark, you seem to roads and places I've missed! Keep the adventures coming!

Trust me, you don't want to try and take your truck up that road to the summit. I came down it last September and the top and the bottom are good, but the upper middle, not so much. It gets very overgrown, looks like only ATV's have been using the road and there is a spring that runs into/across the road that would make it very difficult for a truck to get up, it is pretty dug out from other vehicles.

This is below the spring. I didn't get any pictures of the two trees I had to cut out of the way.

I didn't get any of the rough area, I was too busy getting through it.

Here is my write up.
http://www.wanderthe...__fromsearch__1

Great write up, I am adding some other roads/places to my list.

Jack

Jack -
I remember reading your post on this some months ago -- now I remember -- but I didn't remember that it was over Ophir summit.
So, thanks for the reminder. Now I don't feel like a wimp for turning back, now I feel wise!
tongue.gif

I used the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest maps (Austin District map and Tonopah District map) for most of my navigation on this trip, and it/they made this route look OK. But then, maybe they don't concern themselves with roadside-vegetation hazards...or maybe the map is just wrong.

Quote from Nevada Trip Report

“I wonder if I can get information about Forest Road 017. It runs from the Reese River Valley up to Ophir Summit on the west side of the Toiyabe Range”. I was talking on the phone with staff at the Forest Service Austin Ranger District Office in Austin, Nevada.
“Oh, it’s a maintained road on the west side up to the top. We maintain it, but only up to the summit. We don’t recommend anybody drive the road on the east side.” The woman was helpful in answering my questions.
“Yes, I’ve been up the road on the east side. That’s the reason for me calling about the condition on the west side.”
I appreciated her good attitude toward helping the public. I thanked her for her help.

Mark, conservative approach to safety is not being a wimp. You were wise.

Quote from Nevada Trip Report

“I wonder if I can get information about Forest Road 017. It runs from the Reese River Valley up to Ophir Summit on the west side of the Toiyabe Range”. I was talking on the phone with staff at the Forest Service Austin Ranger District Office in Austin, Nevada.
“Oh, it’s a maintained road on the west side up to the top. We maintain it, but only up to the summit. We don’t recommend anybody drive the road on the east side.” The woman was helpful in answering my questions.
“Yes, I’ve been up the road on the east side. That’s the reason for me calling about the condition on the west side.”
I appreciated her good attitude toward helping the public. I thanked her for her help.

Mark, conservative approach to safety is not being a wimp. You were wise.

Thanks, ski.
Hmmm....I guess I should have read your report more-closely, too. All I remembered from your report was that you went up to Ophir summit and it looked really cool.
tongue.gif

I agree with the conservative approach...which is why I expect I'll never need to use all those handy new getting-unstuck tools I recently bought!
biggrin.gif

Thanks, ski.
Hmmm....I guess I should have read your report more-closely, too. All I remembered from your report was that you went up to Ophir summit and it looked really cool.
tongue.gif

I agree with the conservative approach...which is why I expect I'll never need to use all those handy new getting-unstuck tools I recently bought!
biggrin.gif

That's the right attitude:LOL:!

Smoke

Jack -
I remember reading your post on this some months ago -- now I remember -- but I didn't remember that it was over Ophir summit.
So, thanks for the reminder. Now I don't feel like a wimp for turning back, now I feel wise!
tongue.gif

I used the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest maps (Austin District map and Tonopah District map) for most of my navigation on this trip, and it/they made this route look OK. But then, maybe they don't concern themselves with roadside-vegetation hazards...or maybe the map is just wrong.

Not wimpy at all. Very wise indeed.

Jack

Nice TR MBC. As per usual. Thanks for the honorable mention at the Pike Creek Camp and thanks again for making an appearance. Nice to have re-enforcements for the New Year's campfire vigil.... :rolleyes:

We should plan a rendezvous at No/So Twin sometime, its been on my list for a big hike/explore for years. Maybe even an overnight pack in????

Nice TR MBC. As per usual. Thanks for the honorable mention at the Pike Creek Camp and thanks again for making an appearance. Nice to have re-enforcements for the New Year's campfire vigil.... :rolleyes:

We should plan a rendezvous at No/So Twin sometime, its been on my list for a big hike/explore for years. Maybe even an overnight pack in????

Thanks CM.

RE Toiyabe camp and hike: Yes.
I wrote a comment on the FONW FB page recently that a goal for this year is to hike up Mt Jefferson (the Toquima one, not the Cascade one) and Arc Dome in the Toiyabes. I was thinking a day hike in both cases...but hiking from a backpacked-in base would be fine, too.
I haven't backpacked in soooo long though...
blink.gif

Have always wanted to check out some of those obscure Bristlecone Pine areas on-top of the remote NV ranges. Would not be surprised if Mt Jeff has a few. I feel a trip in the air... If I could just get this whole "working for a living" thing to sort itself out. :unsure:

Mark,

A very nice and completely inspirational trip report. Many thanks for taking the considerable time to work it up.

Foy

Back
Top Bottom