2015 Tacoma SR5 w/ Eagle Suspension Upgrades

firsttracksbmax

Hey all,

New poster here and also new to the camper world! So psyched to finally upgrade to this camper and be able to stand up, rather than living out of my Fiberglass cap for 2 years in the Northeast.

I recently just bought a 2003 FWC Eagle for my 2015 Tacoma access cab SR5 automatic transmission. Stock suspension, already have E-rated tires. I know there’s tons of threads on this, and many options, but looking for more specific advice for myself from this wise community for my specific scenario.

What sort of suspension and shock upgrades / airbags would anyone recommend? I originally thought about just adding another rear leaf and a sumo spring or other air bag to keep it on the cheaper side, but endless reading has me questioning myself and my brain hurts.

For reference, my truck has lived its entire 160k mile life in Vermont and the road salt has started to show its wear. My plan would be to put the eagle on full time for an extended few year rock climbing trip out west. I’d say a solid mix of paved and washboarded forest roads, but no crazy rock crawling stuff.

After the intended trip, I’d probably either be looking at dropping some money to either service my worn out truck to keep it going, or trading it in for another 2nd gen Tacoma / upgrading to a 3/4 ton. Hence, why I’m hesitant on a full blown few thousand dollar suspension / shock upgrade (would totally do that if my truck was new..) If I keep the same truck, I would still have a solid 5-750lbs in the rear like I do now (fiberglass cap, all my work stuff, Thule bin with climbing gear, etc) for reference.

I’d be trying to carry most of my heavy stuff inside my cab, but of course plans change and there may be some heavier stuff in the camper. Dry weight of the eagle should be around 7-800lb.

Open to any suggestions and appreciate you all pointing me in the right direction, thanks! -Brandon

Our 3rd-genTacoma has been ok (so far! 75,000 mi with some pretty rough roads but lots of pavement miles getting there) with just black Sumosprings, and E-rated tires. It was an off-road version though, so maybe the shocks were more beefy. We are definitely overweight, and all the camper weight is on the rear axle. So you probably don't need to upgrade the front components.

If you're going to leave the camper on all the time then upgrading the springs is a better approach than air bags. If you don't want to spend the money on an upgraded spring pack from a company such as Dobinsons, you might try an auxiliary leaf kit from Hellwig. You might need to upgrade the rear shocks, but the front suspension should be fine.

Thanks for the replies!

Also if any mod sees , can this be moved to Truck accessories and mods? I don’t want to cross post but didn’t see that forum earlier..

Back
Top Bottom