2016 Hawk camper with a twist

Last month I sold my 2013 Hawk. Some people asked why I was selling it so quick after getting it only to buy a new one. For one when I got it it was my first camper and I wasn't sure how I would fit in camping and how I'd like it. Found out I loved it and it changed my life for the better.

I also learned that I would like a front dinette instead of a side one. Mainly because of the extra storage.

But I also decided to get another camper because of a feature I'm going to be testing and reporting my feelings to Four Wheel Campers on.

under bed storage2.jpg

I've worked with them a while so they are allowing me to be a design tester.

Makes for a fatter lip over the cab and a taller camper. I want to see how if any affect in gas mileage and how usable the under-bed storage is in every day camping use. Does it make extended trips easier to manage?

See photos. Here is the camper during the build and all finished. Next week out to New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and Arizona

Attachments

• inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 667
  • on floor.jpg
    on floor.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 634
  • prep1.jpg
    prep1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 579
  • prep2.jpg
    prep2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 599
  • side 2.jpg
    side 2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 553
Very sweet set-up. Under-bed storage would be an awesome addition. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Great looking set up. Look forward to seeing your feedback
Reported in.

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

As a Hallmark owner that has the under bed storage, it works great. We use it for clothing which has the added benefit of added insulation. However, that means you need to have the next days clothes out or wait for your significant other to get up. Also, not accessible unless top is up so not easy to get too while on the move.

Hay there DW
Let us know when you come thru LV NV . Would love to see it, got space in drive way for boondocking will even throw in 115v.
:)

I was thinking of cloths in the under bed storage. It will be nice to have someplace other then a suit case in the car for them. I also like I could put stuff in there and close the top and if the camper was broke into someone would be unlikely to locate those items.

I travel alone mostly so no waiting for someone to get up to get at under bed items. My wife likes traveling...when hotels are involved. But she supports my wandering on my own and I like solitary travel anyway so it works fine.

I will post some reports from the journey and what I think. I don't plan well so have no idea of my route or where I'm going. I just kind of decide where to point it each day.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

The idea of a little taller cab-over section in front sure would help my Eagle situation. My chief complaint about my current rig is that I have to take the bed apart every day because there is not enough space between the bed and roof to keep bedding in place with the roof down. All other aspects of the camper I love. Chris

I have wished for that option since seeing it on the flat bed model. Just wish there was some magical way to add it to my Hawk. ;)

Can you explain the construction a bit? In most four wheel campers the cabover is part of a single piece of large aluminum channel that is the entire top section of the camper body. It your picture #3 it looks like here it is wood. You can see this - link here

gallery_1902_252_226371.jpg

gallery_1902_252_2306.jpg

Your front dinette looks a little longer, (a little larger) north to south, than the normal Hawk. It looks closer to a Granby (or in between the two) sized front dinette.
The camper also looks a little longer or is it the way it is positioned on the truck, more extended in the rear. Do you have the specs?
It appears very promising as there is no clothes storage currently available. Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air. Cheers

I would hope this is an option, not as the only design available. Why? Because it would prohibit me from owning a FWC, since the extra height wouldn't fit into my garage.

Looks really like a interesting new option, thanks. Beside the extra storage... Is it possible now to sit inside when the roof is closed? The fact that it is not possible in the normal FWC was the only reason I've looked for a hardside model.

Best
Johannes

It is not an option now and may never be. It really is just a test rig they made for me to try and report back.

Except for the under bed storage and the extra height that creates it is exactly the same as a regular front dinette hawk. The dinette is the same size. I think it just looked bigger because of the distortion created by my ultra wide angle lens.

I'm sure there is more weight but I don't know how much. They did weigh it when it left. It weighed 1538. I'm not sure how different that is to the normal front dinette with bat wing and all other options. The under bed storage does fit my Marlin rifle at an angle. Have not tried the 30-06 yet.

The photo is the first step in the making it showing the similar construction. Just a larger piece of aluminum up top to bend.

Attachments

• IMG_2899.JPG
    IMG_2899.JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 221
I would love to have that storage for clothes and linens. Hope it doesn't have a condensation problem or you will end up with mildewed clothes. Are there any ventilation ducts/louvers?

DesertDave said:
I would hope this is an option, not as the only design available. Why? Because it would prohibit me from owning a FWC, since the extra height wouldn't fit into my garage.
Yep...me too.
At a certain height point you might be better off with a smaller hard side with a aero nose.

This would definitely be on my want list. SInce I have a 3/4 ton there is no garaging for me so a few extra inches would not be a big deal - big gain in storage.

I'm sure if it ever becomes an option it would only be an option and the original nose would be available.

Funny thing I noticed. I'm 5 foot 7 and because of the added height I need to get a taller stool to access the awning.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom