2016 Hawk camper with a twist

Beach said:
I would love to have that storage for clothes and linens. Hope it doesn't have a condensation problem or you will end up with mildewed clothes. Are there any ventilation ducts/louvers?
It doesn't have vent ducts louvers that I know of. It is the same storage as on the flat bed and I've not heard of an issue there though . Now that you brought it up I will really check on that with my test trip next week. That would also be an issue for rifle storage in the space. Condensation and firearms don't mix.

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

The front nose of the camper is still aluminum channel all the way around.

The thin wood covering is applied so that we can get a smooth wrap of the aluminum skin on the front nose.

The thin layer also adds some insulation value.

:)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
What is the extra cost? Does it justify the extra storage?
Frank
When we were at the overland West they had a tacoma and a fleet with this set up. The build sheet showed 2,000.00 for the queen size bed over the cab and additional storage. I think that was more of a ball park guess then a hard final number.

97grandby said:
When we were at the overland West they had a tacoma and a fleet with this set up. The build sheet showed 2,000.00 for the queen size bed over the cab and additional storage. I think that was more of a ball park guess then a hard final number.
Thanks,that is a big option price.
It's a nice idea though.For those who don't have or use the AC/double cab type truck.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
What is the extra cost? Does it justify the extra storage?
Frank
I thought it was worth the price for me considering I will have the camper for potentially 20 years and almost every night at a camp site I was repeatedly going in to my extended cab truck and getting something I needed that wasn't in the camper - and my truck was a mess because of the lack of sufficient storage in the camper (gosh I've made it clear my default mode can be messy). I also thought it was worth it as it is a pretty secure spot to put things. For me as well I financed the camper with a home equity line so another bit of money didn't ad much to the payments over my planned 12 year pay off period.

BTW Mine does not have the queen bed over the cab though. It is just like the the campers with a full over the cab and a queen bed with the slide outs.

Desert wanderer said:
I thought it was worth the price for me considering I will have the camper for potentially 20 years and almost every night at a camp site I was repeatedly going in to my extended cab truck and getting something I needed that wasn't in the camper - and my truck was a mess because of the lack of sufficient storage in the camper (gosh I've made it clear my default mode can be messy). I also thought it was worth it as it is a pretty secure spot to put things. For me as well I financed the camper with a home equity line so another bit of money didn't ad much to the payments over my planned 12 year pay off period.

BTW Mine does not have the queen bed over the cab though. It is just like the the campers with a full over the cab and a queen bed with the slide outs.
Thanks for the insight with your camper.
Let us know how it works for you down the road.
Have fun camping.
Frank

Is the interior height still 6'6"? Or taller? If the interior height is the same, the soft pop up section must actually be shorter, right?

Icansmelldiesel said:
Is the interior height still 6'6"? Or taller? If the interior height is the same, the soft pop up section must actually be shorter, right?
The interior height is taller...the soft pop up is the same size. I'm short 5'7" and the light when reaching over the counter is a reach for me now because of the higher inside height.

This seems like a very good option to me. I can see how the extra storage would be very useful. Many other campers have underbed storage. They should also add a basement below the main floor area at the same time (keeping the interior headroom the same). This would be very useful for canned goods and other heavy items. I added a basement in my previous Hawk shell and it was extremely useful.

I packed the camper for my trip to New Mexico and for the first time I've had more than enough room for everything. The front dinette no toilet option added lots of storage already but the under bed storage was great for all my cloths and a few other things. So far I'm very happy with the option. Never thought of can goods in the floor (nice idea) but I'm not handy enough to be a camper mod person.

Vic Harder said:
Do you have a post/pictures showing how you did that? Sounds like a great idea
Not a great photo, but I have this:
IMG_0409.jpg

The raised floor lifted out in 2 sections each 1 foot wide. I seem to recall the basement was about 3.5 inches deep. One side was full of canned goods, the other side had a broom, tarp, clothes line, dust pan & brush, etc. Because the Hawk shell was built for an F350 It was about 3" taller than normal, and I am only 5'10" so the 6' 1"+/- headroom above the basement was plenty.

Interesting idea but it wouldn't work for me. I just acquired a 2016 Hawk with solar panel. I have it on a 2016 GMC 2500 HD and the combination fits perfectly in my garage with an 8 ft door. The extra height would mean I couldn't have the camper as I need it stored inside, especially during the winter.

um, I think that basement is INside the camper, not under it. So no diff in height of camper/truck combo... or am I missing something else?

Vic, I think rltports was referring to the extra height added by the underbed storage(the original topic of this thread); not the in-floor storage. The underbed storage does add extra height which, if one is already clearing a garage entrance by only inches, would make this height-adding option a no go.

The trouble with more storage area is that, well you pack more "stuff" and your lightweight camper ceases to be lightweight. I wouldn't pack a lot of heavy items under the bed anyway. There is a lot of leverage there.

cwd

Hello WTW Members & Followers

We have just completed the discussion on the availability of the D2 (under bed storage) option on the regular slide in FWC camper models (Fleet, Hawk, & Grandby). As of this morning, the D2 option (thicker cabover w/ under bed storage) will not be available this year. We will continue to work on the development of this new design and will announce a launch date at some time in the future. It may possibly be 2018, but we will make a formal announcement prior to taking orders, and at that time we will be ready to take orders and build the units. Both the management and engineering team feel the need to slow down, catch our breath, do some more prototypes & testing, and get our ducks in a row before officially launching this as an options on some of our camper models. Sorry it has taken so long, but we now at least have a formal answer. Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

PS: The "Flat Bed Models" we make here at FWC won't be changing. We will still be offering the Flat Bed Models with the Extended Cabover Bed and the thicker cabover bed w/ under bed storage.

Stan Kennedy
Four Wheel Campers

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Desert wanderer said:
Last month I sold my 2013 Hawk. Some people asked why I was selling it so quick after getting it only to buy a new one. For one when I got it it was my first camper and I wasn't sure how I would fit in camping and how I'd like it. Found out I loved it and it changed my life for the better.

I also learned that I would like a front dinette instead of a side one. Mainly because of the extra storage.

But I also decided to get another camper because of a feature I'm going to be testing and reporting my feelings to Four Wheel Campers on.

attachicon.gif
under bed storage2.jpg

I've worked with them a while so they are allowing me to be a design tester.

Makes for a fatter lip over the cab and a taller camper. I want to see how if any affect in gas mileage and how usable the under-bed storage is in every day camping use. Does it make extended trips easier to manage?

See photos. Here is the camper during the build and all finished. Next week out to New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and Arizona

Back
Top Bottom