2017 F250 PSD - Tire question.

Freedom

I'm getting a new 2017 F250 Lariat PSD next week on 9/7/17. I live in Louisiana and I want to start traveling out west, so long road trips. I've never done it and thus I'm not sure what I will encounter in my travels. I want to be able to get into the national and state parks and off the beaten path. Maybe Baja when ULSD is available there. I will probably get a moderate size travel trailer at some point, but not now. Never owned a 3/4 ton truck before, but I'm interested (if needed) in maybe up grading tires from the Michelin 275/65R20. I may stay with the same size or one size up, but I think I need a tougher, little more aggressive tire. A major retail tire store said they would use/keep the Michelins as it is not worth the extra money for the little improvement in performance off road.

I want to keep the factory wheels and not have to run spacers. I know I could recoup some the cost of new tires by selling the Michelins on Craig's List.

What do you guys think? Keep Michelins or would you point me in the directions of another tire and same or different size?

Freedom

The Michelins will do fine, but know that Ford does not recommend using chains with the 20" wheels. You might look on the local Craig's list for a set of 18" wheels and tires where someone wanted to go fancy. You might even swap if that is something that the other party was interested in.

I went to Cooper AT 3s when my Michelins wore down (2014 F350 PSD).

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The Michelins will do fine, but know that Ford does not recommend using chains with the 20" wheels. You might look on the local Craig's list for a set of 18" wheels and tires where someone wanted to go fancy. You might even swap if that is something that the other party was interested in.

I went to Cooper AT 3s when my Michelins wore down (2014 F350 PSD).
I wanted 18" wheels and looked into ordering a new F350 with 18" wheels, but I got a much better deal by buying the F250 they had on the lot. The dealership looked at me and said that would be silly to get 18" wheels on a SD. I will look for a set of take offs for a 2017 SD XLT, as I really don't like all the chrome on the Lariat package and wheels.

I have a 2016 F-350 Lariat with the Michelins on 20" wheels. Not a single issue on a 12.8K mile trip out west this past spring.

I had good fuel mileage on pure diesel (non-bio) fuel and minimal noise associated with the tires.

We did a lot of overlanding in AZ and UT and no problems with the tires, not even in sand up to the rim.

I did have to winch through 14" of snow in WA but that was due to the wide track of the truck compared to the narrower ruts in the snow.

Also, no issue anywhere in Baja with the tires, even in moderate sand. But, I carry all the tools for self-recovery.

No problem sourcing ULSD as far south as El Rosario on Mex 1. I then drove down Mex 1 to Mex 5 and up to Alfonsinas which has ULSD.

Ted White has been sampling diesel fuel in Baja for years. Ted believes all of Baja Norte is ULSD sourced from either the US (San Diego) or Japan.

Some time (or by) next year PEMEX must produce ULSD or stop diesel fuel deliveries throughout Mexico.

FYI....quite often the dealer you buy your new tires from will take the OEM's in trade...

i have had good luck w/ the Bridgestone Duravis (OEM)...27k on them....probably go 35-37k+ if i did not live in the mountains...not sure these will make it through another winter without some "white_knuckling"...

... i am thinking about the Cooper AT3's....reviews sound good...

good luck...

Hello Freedom
Our 2016 Superduty came with LT275/70R18 Michelin LTX AT2. I have been real happy with them so far. That said we're on rough rocky roads with little mud. Hay we live in the desert. I understand LA. is not built like that however you might give em a try first.

Russ

Congrats on the new truck!

Michelins will work until you get into mud, then the tread will fill up and you'll just spin. If you expect muddy roads get a more aggressive tread.

I bought a set of brand new 18" takeoff wheels and tires from a 2017 F250 for $1,000. The tires are Goodyear Wrangler Adventure with Kevlar. They have been awesome so far on my 2005 Superduty. They are quiet on the road and have very good off-road traction. Minimal wear observed after 5,000 miles (as opposed to ridiculous wear on my Toyo mud terrain tires that these replaced). If I was lucky enough to be buying a new Superduty, I would definitely get this tire and wheel combo.

Hey there Freedom,

You're just getting started with the truck so my vote would go for keeping what you have for the time being. Spend some time getting to know the truck and how it responds to a variety of terrains and situations. Yes, 20" wheels means less sidewall on the tires. Yes, the Michelins are more road tire and have a "harder" compound. But by merely reducing (some) tire pressure and careful placement you can get to a lot of places off the beaten path. Once you get a feel for any change you'd like to see, or feel, on the truck, then you can use your research and the good info offered here and proceed with confidence. Just my 2 cents.

BTW: my FIL just bought a 2017 F-350 FX4 CC LB...its a beast. But it drives really well and I'm sure you're going to love your truck. Cheers!

Richard

If you don't plan on all off-roading and only will "need" an aggressive tire for a few trips a year....I suppose you could always buy a set of rims from Pick 'n Pull and have the new tires mounted on them. That way you can squeeze the rest of the tire life out of the Michelins locally and when it is time to go to the boondocks, have a tire shop just swap your new "aggressive" tires on the truck.

Depends on where you go, the weather, load, etc. as to the "need" for the aggressive tires and having them on the truck if you plan on using it locally for a lot of miles or not.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The owner's manual didn't give a reason. My best guess is either the chains would hit the wheel well, or the shorter sidewalls would cause the chains to mar the wheels. I bought tire socks to use in an emergency.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/01/snow-traction-when-you-need-it/index.htm
It's usually a potential clearance issue

I didn't want 20's as I want more side wall especially when airing down. The Goodyear Wranglers are an ok AT tire. BFG KO2's or Nitto Ridge Grapplers would a good alternative for a little more aggressive tire. Cooper ST Maxx are nice but they pick up too many rocks in the tread for my liking. When my Goodyear's wear out I'll upgrade to 285 or 295's for a slighter larger foot print and height.

Back
Top Bottom