2017 Ford F 250 recall

Interesting that they created a new lighter duty transmission for the gas 250..
I would think that once you step up to the Super Duty line that you would have certain expectations of Heavy Duty components...

I agree smlobx, I was a bit dismayed by the "lighter duty" designation of a 3/4 ton truck transmission. I have heard that Ford has had other transmission issues with the 10 speed. This may drive me into a 1 ton whether I want it or not......

Happyjax said:
I agree smlobx, I was a bit dismayed by the "lighter duty" designation of a 3/4 ton truck transmission. I have heard that Ford has had other transmission issues with the 10 speed. This may drive me into a 1 ton whether I want it or not......
I would go with the F350 if it was my decision. I liked my 2000 F250, but the F350 lineup is more capable when it comes to load. I believe resale will be better, too.

while the article said that the Torqshift was a light duty transmission Ford is calling it a heavy duty transmission....but the F250 Diesel and F350 and 450 transmissions do not have a G after them.... Why is the world would they mess with one of their best selling trucks......

Power

Standard
  • Engine - 6.2L SOHC 2-valve Flex Fuel V8 engine (F-250/350)
  • Transmission - TorqShift® Heavy-Duty 6-speed SelectShift-G™ Automatic (F-250 Gas)
Transmission - TorqShift® Heavy-Duty 6-speed SelectShift™ Automatic (F-250 Diesel, F-350, F-450)

The F350 gas gets the non-G transmission so it's not gas. They claim it is geared a little higher for faster take off? Nikon came out with a "G" lens. We called it gelded because there was no more manual control ring. Cheaper to make..... I'm guessing that is the bottom line on the G transmission.....

Just finished driving the 2017 F250 SCSB gas engine with the camper package back to back with a F350 gas. The ride was very similar as far as stiffness. I was pleasantly surprised how much better the ride was from the 2016 models I have driven.

If I were to buy one, I think the F350 would be hard to pass up. Based on the small price difference, the similar ride quality, the upgraded transmission, the beefed up axle and the extra weight carrying capacity it seems like the way to go.

^^^^^^
That was the same conclusion I came to several years ago when we were looking for trucks for our company. The major difference between the 250 and 350 is the addition of overload springs on the 350.
The 17's have further differentiated themselves.

First year of a new model or upgraded model from all manufacturers can be an adventure. Not uncommon for issues to pop up. but, manufacturers are usually very quick to remedy such problems. I wouldn't be too worried. Ford has superior customer service for their Heavy Duty line of trucks. Ford owns the market share in this segment and will do everything to ensure happy customers.

Of ride note, on 2016 and earlier F-350s, 4" blocks are installed between the rear axle and spring packs v 2" for the F-250. While the blocks do not adversely affect ride quality, the 4" blocks can/will cause more axle warp if you drive deeply rutted roads and trails.

SMLOBX and I both upgraded our 2016 F-350s with the Bilstein 2" front leveling kit. The improvement in ride quality is quite noticeable. Now to do something about the harsh factory springs in the rear (when driving off-road) without giving up the enhanced payload option.

Advmoto18 said:
<snip>

Now to do something about the harsh factory springs in the rear (when driving off-road) without giving up the enhanced payload option.
Bill, you're going to need helium balloons or a sky hook! :p

Please find something that works on a 2014 model, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom