28 miles of new fishing access in Western NV

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
For those of us that like to 'wet a line' on occasion - there is some pretty good news coming out of the Capitol this year. See below from the State Parks website. Also promising for hiking and other exploring.

This project is subject to approve by the 2017 Legislature which starts next month. (NV residents - shoot your legislator a support email on this and the Governor a thank you!)

I figure the resident fish should be naive and hungry - a good combination for my fishing skills.

I had occasion to chat with a couple of folks from the State who are working on this project the other day and they raved about the beauty and pristine condition of the properties. I'm really looking forward to this. -Vic

The foundation of the Explore Your Nevada initiative is the unprecedented donation of properties that together will be known as the Walker River State Recreation Area. These three historic properties in west central Nevada will bring in excess of 12,000 acres into public use while providing access to 28 miles of the pristine and picturesque East Walker River for the first time in many, many generations. Together with historic structures and valuable wildlife habitat, what will become four distinct park units – Pitchfork, Rafter 7, Flying M and Nine Mile – are set to offer extraordinary opportunities for camping, hiking, biking, wildlife viewing, nature study, outdoor education and, of course, fishing.

Map of the proposed Walker River State Recreation Area
During 2016, the State’s Executive Branch explored this possible addition to the state park system after a non-profit organization approached the state with the extraordinary offer to donate several large, former ranches nestled in the celebrated East Walker River corridor. These ranches were purchased from willing sellers by the Walker Basin Restoration Program in order to increase in-stream flows to Walker Lake through changes in surface water use. After extensive due diligence, it was determined that acceptance of these properties was indeed in the best interest of Nevada and its residents. The donor will transfer the land to the state with no acquisition costs and the Governor has proposed through his initiative and budget the funding to provide baseline staffing and the first phase of facilities for camping, fishing access, hiking trails, full hook-up and primitive campsites and even rental cabins. Future opportunities at these four park units abound, including retreat and group use facilities, equestrian activities, additional campsites – including those specifically for OHV users -- more cabins, competitive archery sites, and the list goes on and on.

I have greatly enjoyed my time in that area over the years. This sounds great, thanks for the post. Interesting reading up on the Gov, it sounds like he made a personal commitment to visit every state park in NV.

some good news on public lands for a change - today the Nevada Legislature approved this new state park. Technically it has a few more steps through final approval and signature by the Governor, but being as it was his proposal, its probably good to go. I understand it may be open to the public as early as this fall. I can't wait to visit it.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/2017-legislature/money-to-create-state-parks-gets-first-ok-in-nevada-legislature/

Also a new park in So. NV to explore. Kudos to Governor Sandoval and the Nevada Legislature for this move.

Back
Top Bottom