3 way Fridge Advice

kmacafee

I have not had the opportunity to use the fridge (Dometic 3 way) in my Eagle yet but plan on doing so in the next few weeks. In the past, I have always used a National Luna compressor fridge which I love but have not yet figured out where to put it.

Here's where I need some advice. When driving, which mode do you typically use -- propane or DC? It is my understanding that in DC mode, the fridge runs all the time. I have 2 batteries in good shape but will the truck provide enough charge to offset the battery drain running on DC? In propane mode, any idea how long the tanks will last?

Any guidance based on your own experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tanks will last a long time. The 3 way is a very small flame. The batteries will be dead in a short time. I would not use the DC on a 3 way fridge.

kmacafee -
Here are a couple of existing threads that discuss your questions, more or less. Check them out, if you haven't already, for a lot of advice:

"Who runs, or has run, their 3 Way Fridge on propane while the truck is moving?"

"Refrigerator Performance"

I'm not sure if in DC mode it runs all the time...but it is true that it's very inefficient in DC mode; it draws an inordinate amount of power and not much cooling. I used my 3-way in propane mode while driving even though that isn't officially advised.

DC mode is just to maintain box temperature for an interim time. Almost never use it. It will not bring down the box emperature, only theoretically maintain it but with huge draw. Don't count on it maintaining box temp on a real hot day either. The three way is also sensitive to being out of level while stopped. 3 degrees fore and aft and 6 degrees to the side. I leave my truck off road while fishing a lot and almost never find this to be a problem. it just becomes reflex to find a bump or side hill to run it up on and even it out when parking. It's easier to level it up than to find sunshine. I also think those factory stated tolerances are understated. My opinion is that 3 way is the only way to go. Simple easy.put on auto and forget about it. Carry less storage weight and simplify systems.

Thanks everyone. I need to refine my search skills because I did check but did not find anything relevant. :oops:

Last question -- do you run the fan FWC installed to cool the fridge box while driving on hot days or does air flow over the camper keep it cool enough?

Cheers and thanks again for all the help.

kmacafee said:
Last question -- do you run the fan FWC installed to cool the fridge box while driving on hot days or does air flow over the camper keep it cool enough?
I've only used that auxiliary fan when parked and then only when it's hot out.

When the Dometic refrigerator operates on AC or DC, It uses heating elements (different one for 12 and 110 volts) to heat the ammonia in the refrigerator. When operating the refrigerator using 12 volts, this heating element operates at about 12.5 amps. That is a good amount of current. If the battery is not being charged, it is going to drain pretty fast. Also the voltage drop from the wires, going to the refrigerator, is enough to lower the voltage at the refrigerator a fair amount, which means lower heating temperatures at the refrigerator (could be bad in cold temperatures). If you have a volt meter, you can measure the DC voltage at the refrigerator when it is operating on DC with the truck running and not running to get an idea of what kind of voltage drop you are experiencing in your setup.

I replaced the wire between the battery and the refrigerator with a larger wire (I think 8 gauge). I added a fuse at the battery and bypassed the fuse box, which can also be a source of voltage drop. I think the newer fuse boxes that FWC use are an improvement over the older ones. My refrigerator seems to work very well when I operate it on DC while driving. When I first got the camper and upgraded the wiring, I almost always ran the refrigerator on DC while I was driving but every once in a while I would forget to switch back to propane at my destination. The worst case was maybe an hour after I arrived but one of these days, I will forget for a longer period of time. Remember, each time you run the battery down, you are wearing it out. I realize that the amount of propane I am saving doing this is pretty small and the newness has worn off so, unless I have a long drive planned for the day, I just drive on propane.

My Dometic refrigerator turns off when the temperature in the refrigerator reaches the target in all three modes of operation. It does not stay on.

Another thing that is worth being aware of is that the auto reset breakers between your truck battery and camper battery, at least in my camper, are 30 amp breakers. If the batteries in the camper get low, your alternator in your truck is able to deliver more than 30 amps to the camper batteries (I have measured 60 amps once in my truck). If the amps gets above 30 amps, the (in my truck there are two) breaker(s) will start tripping and resetting. This is something that is kind of hard to know is happening. The camper batteries will eventually get charged enough that the cycling of the breaker will stop. If your 3 way refrigerator is on DC, this breaker cycling (if it is occurring) could go on for a longer period of time. I don't know how much longer.

Like others on this forum, I replaced the factory wires between the truck battery and camper battery with larger wires, and replaced the breakers with higher current ones. There are laws that FWC have to meet and the setup that they use meet these regulations. Mine probably does not.

So, to play it safe, it is probably best to stick with the gas position while driving with your camper unless you want to experiment to better understand the personality of your configuration.

Steve

From the FWC support/Service manual page. Lots of info there.
5.1 dc Heating element
---snip---
NOTE: The DC mode is a holding mode not a full cooling
mode. DC should be used once the unit is cooled down on
gas or AC and driving (constant supply of DC) down the
road.
Model Watts Amps
RM2354 150 12.5
RM2454 175 15.0
RM2554 175 15.0
RM2663 215 18.0

Here is a post I made last year, 12v is almost useless, I run the fridge on propane unless we are plugged into 120v.hope this helps.

My wife and I had a great 10 day trip along the Colo. River in central Texas. Camped off the grid 6 out of ten days, we ran the fridge on propane for all ten days so we could test the run time. Outside temps were mid eighties to ninety degrees so the fridge was set between 4.5-5 the whole time. Ran the 12v coil fan to help cooling. Fridge temp varied from 33 to 46 degrees. The higher temps were after getting food out and having the door open for a minute or so, but it did take 1-2 hrs to recover to a lower temp. I was impressed with the amount of propane we used or should I say did not use. Tare weight on the tank(empty weight) is 20.2 lbs, full weight is 36 lbs. Weight after the trip was 28.5 lbs, which means we used about 7.5 lbs. 8+ lbs remaining propane should be enough for another week plus some. No other appliances were run on the camper propane supply. I will add, keeping the fridge side of the camper in the shade is a huge benefit to keeping the fridge temp low in hot weather.

Great thread Kmac!

Just getting my 3 way figured out for a spring Baja go around.... (doh-metic).... Got some instant advise I had been looking for!

One thing I would like to ask the crew..... Does the 3way get colder on propane ? Or AC? Thanks

Edit: also, those of you driving with the fridge operating on propane, are you putting any kind of additional shield inside the cover door?? Mine seems to go out while driving...it's an older unit, 2001

TT

Tomas Tierra said:
Great thread Kmac!

Just getting my 3 way figured out for a spring Baja go around.... (doh-metic).... Got some instant advise I had been looking for!

One thing I would like to ask the crew..... Does the 3way get colder on propane ? Or AC? Thanks

TT
Propane always got colder on my old 3 way. Sometimes too cold.

My prior experience with the large 3 way fridge was that the fan was completely necessary at most times, except driving of course.
The biggest problem is that the heat gets trapped behind the fridge inside the camper between the back of fridge and vent space. It greatly limits the heat transfer process.
I gave my old fridge (3 way) to my brother who owns a hard sided popup camper. He built a cabinet for it with a heat vent to the ceiling that extends when popped up. No fan needed. Works just like it is suppose to because the fridge was never designed to vent the way FWC has them. It's more like RV setup. Hot air vents up and out.
I personally would not buy the larger 3 way fridge for that setup again.
I could never keep food cold in my FWC but the same fridge in his Siesta works perfect. I'd only buy compresser fridges after my experience.

You can run camper on 12 volt or 3 way while driving. Your truck will likely charge at 12-15 amps a time if setup is similar to mine.
Just don't expect to charge your batteries at the same time and if the separator senses the voltage is too low, it will cut out the power from your alternator and then you will be in trouble.

Tomas Tierra said:
Edit: also, those of you driving with the fridge operating on propane, are you putting any kind of additional shield inside the cover door?? Mine seems to go out while driving...it's an older unit, 2001

TT
I've cleaned the gas burner twice since I bought the camper, so about every two years. When the burner slots are clogged it's harder to light and the flame goes out more easily. Since I cleaned the burner last time, we haven't had a problem with it going out while driving.

Lighthawk said:
I've cleaned the gas burner twice since I bought the camper, so about every two years. When the burner slots are clogged it's harder to light and the flame goes out more easily. Since I cleaned the burner last time, we haven't had a problem with it going out while driving.
As Lighthawk suggests, CLEANED BURNER = GOOD PROPANE FRIDGE

Here's a thread that was very helpful to me regarding cleaning a propane-fridge burner,
(thanks to leadsled9 :) )

Thanks Marc!
I needed to see that link....tomorrow's chore, then some testing.. If this soaking rain ends :)..boy do we need it..

I'm hoping to get away with a 9 hour drive on DC (after a big cold load night in the driveway on AC)with a couple of frozen bottles of water in there.. Then propane overnight, and repeat..After that it's propane full time for ten days... I am going to carry an 80 qt, thick walled cooler with block ice as well for the first week ( I hope the ice will last a week!)..cocktail ice! And the cooler to get some grouper fillets chilled......

Back to reality....

TT

Absorption fridge uses about 12 amps per hour to run the heater that vaporize the ammonia mixture.

My advice start the truck engine than switch from propane or 110 volt to battery going down the road. Battery almost maintains the temp propane or 110 volt lowers the temp too. Two 80 amp hour batteries will give you 50% or 80 amps of usable voltage.

You can leave the fridge on battery for 30 minutes or so engine off - fuel station stop, etc.

When you camp switch to propane off the grid or 110 volt in RV park.

Back
Top Bottom