30# or #40 Roof Thingies ?

A.Smith

Advanced Member
Thanks to All for all the insight on Roof Lift Assists.
I have a 2006 Hawk, nothing on the roof. Who knows the future.
So should I get the 30# or the 40# Suspa Gas Struts?
Thanks
Fred

Well, here's another viewpoint...

I first had the 20# struts, and they worked fine until I put a 160w solar panel on top of my Hawk. Then I put 40# struts on. I could lift the top fine, but I found it very difficult to lower the top no matter what method I tried. Last summer I got fed up with them and ordered a set of 30# struts from Suspa (same price, but special order took a little longer). Now the top is still easy to put up (my wife can do it) but it comes down with little effort.

Here is a chart from FWC, and they recommend 30# if you have a solar panel:

file:///C:/Users/Charles/Downloads/EXTERIOR%20GAS%20STRUT%20ROOF%20LIFT%20ASSIST%20(1).pdf

My Hawk has a 160 watt solar panel mounted on the factory aluminum rack in addition to the 100 watt factory panel. Factory installed lift struts were 20 pounds front and rear. I switched to 30 pound struts on the rear as my wife said it was too hard to lift with the 20 pounders after adding the 160 watt panel. It's only a little strain when lifting the first couple of inches, then the struts really kick in. I have to give the front bar a tug to start it down and it settles down without falling.

We're certainly not spring chickens at 63 & 71 but we're in decent health and active. I use my legs & shoulders to start the lift, then finish with arms. Works thus far. As I get older, I will likely buy one of the crank up speaker stands rather than going to 40 pounders.

The front dinette arrangement gives me places to sit to raise the rear and, also, the front which helps to keep my back straight.

My $.02

Paul

Trailbob said:
Well, here's another viewpoint...

I first had the 20# struts, and they worked fine until I put a 160w solar panel on top of my Hawk. Then I put 40# struts on. I could lift the top fine, but I found it very difficult to lower the top no matter what method I tried. Last summer I got fed up with them and ordered a set of 30# struts from Suspa (same price, but special order took a little longer). Now the top is still easy to put up (my wife can do it) but it comes down with little effort.

Here is a chart from FWC, and they recommend 30# if you have a solar panel:

file:///C:/Users/Charles/Downloads/EXTERIOR%20GAS%20STRUT%20ROOF%20LIFT%20ASSIST%20(1).pdf
Ditto. I have 40# and a 265W solar panel on front part of the roof. Still have to tug the roof down to get it to lower, and it does not "fall" on the way down. Without anything on the roof it would be very hard to lower it.

My Thanks to All.
I placed my order with Suspa..
The responses and comments have been great. I will post results. I will have made a great choice or have a set of slightly used shocks for sale.
Fred

Then I put 40# struts on. I could lift the top fine, but I found it very difficult to lower the top no matter what method I tried.
I have #40's on my new Hawk and had the same problem when I took everything off the roof. But then I shut the door and used the fan to help lower the roof - worked great. Now I use the fan to help raise the roof when loaded.

I was just thinking this weekend my 40s aren't quite as up to job as they used to be (or I"m getting older and weaker). Thats with two solar panels and two maxtrax up there.

Back
Top Bottom