395 with the Jeep?

craig333

Riley's Human
I managed to get two more days off, unfortunately not Monday or I'd already be on the road. As I'll be dragging the Jeep along I'm thinking its time to see some places I'm unwilling or at least reluctant to take the truck to. Cerro Gordo comes to mind. Maybe the Champion mine. I'm wondering what other places I might consider on the way to the rally? Maybe some more intimate exploration around Mono Lake.

The last time I was up near Bishop I stopped into the Forest Service office on 395 and asked about the road that starts near the Rovana Tungsten mine on Pine Creek Road and it was closed. The Forest Service staff person said that it was opened occasionally, however, it's probably too late in the year to find it open now.

It gets even more fun off the top of this Google Earth image.

img_153639_0_9a5f8a7f3ea87eb7e552b9b05cf51be2.jpg

Some really good fishing at Upper Morgan Lake, Lower Morgan Lake and you could even drive all the way to Gem Lakes, back in the old days..

From what I know the Pine Creek Mine is rarely open for tours and the road is always closed to unofficial traffic. There is a packing station as far up as you can go. From there hiking or travel by horse is an option. If you can get a copy of "Mine In The Sky" at a reasonable price do it. That place is amazing. Wish they would do more tours.

Looks like the road may have even gone past gem lake at some point in the past. Some pretty steep switchbacks there.

Gotta love google earth. Looks like a lot of camping along rock creek road. Never been up that one.

They use to bus the miners up that road to Pine Creek Mine. Story is that there was always somebody at the back of the bus with their hands on the emergency exit in case it went over. I've heard they had to bail out at least once, no one was lost through. I've been looking for a copy of "the Mine in the Sky" but have not seen it anything close to what I would consider a reasonable price (~$185).

Rock Creek is heavily trafficked, good hiking opportunities but not so much for vehicular exploring

I was thinking of camping along rock creek and then taking the Jeep over to Laurel Lake, maybe sand canyon. Of course the coyote flat country looks interesting too. The more I google earth and read my guide books the harder it gets to choose a couple places to visit. Too many good choices! I'm hoping things won't be too populated during the week. I've only been to the volcanic tablelands once, might need to return there. Cerro Gordo for sure but I'm not sure where to setup my basecamp for that excursion.

Of course I could just head over to DV. Take the Jeep up Lippincott and loop around is something I've been thinking about for a while.

Back
Top Bottom