4Cyl 4Wd Tacoma Extended Cab With A 4Wc Or Atc?

walker.malone

Hi All,
Am a new member and just about to sink the money into a 2000-06 Tacoma and a 4WC or ATC camper top. I already have a few questions emailed to 4WC and ATC Currently camping with an old Chevy Van and ready to upgrade. The big question in buying the Tacoma is if I should even consider a 4cyl? I would use it for desert and mountain here in the northwest, usually Washington thru Calif., Maybe a little Canada. I dont need it to go fast, just the speed limit and enough power to handle the hills.
Any feedback?
Thanks,
Walker

Hi Walker: That's an interesting question. Before you decide which engine to get you need to decide which camper you want? If you are getting a shell model or a fully loaded one will push you one way or another.

I have a Standard Cab 2001 4x4 Tacoma with Automatic. It has a 4 cyl. I wanted the Standard cab so I had to have the 4 cyl. But, later I ended up getting a fully loaded ATC Bobcat. Sometimes I wish I had more power so I wanted to buy a 6 cyl. Tacoma. But with that said, I have spoken to couple of good mechanics and they tell me the 4 cyl. is a better engine.

So, there are my two cents. If your in the hills a lot, I recommend the 6 cyl.

Darryl

Hey Darryl,
The truck will be used, but the camper will be loaded. Either the ATC Bobcat, or the FWC Eagle. Glad to hear the regular cab 4wd gets you by. You dont happen to know the internal height of the Bobcat do you? That's one of the questions I emailed to ATC. I know FWCs is 6'4 and I am 6'2.

Hi All,
Am a new member and just about to sink the money into a 2000-06 Tacoma and a 4WC or ATC camper top. I already have a few questions emailed to 4WC and ATC Currently camping with an old Chevy Van and ready to upgrade. The big question in buying the Tacoma is if I should even consider a 4cyl? I would use it for desert and mountain here in the northwest, usually Washington thru Calif., Maybe a little Canada. I dont need it to go fast, just the speed limit and enough power to handle the hills.
Any feedback?
Thanks,
Walker
[
"I don't need to go fast" that's good because you won't, and some of the hills around here are actually mountains, and that little 4cyl.motor is going to be working real hard, and you're going to be doing a lot of shifting unless you go auto. in which case the motor will be working even harder, the harder it works at the top end of the power band the more fuel it burns, I would want the 4.0 not the 3.4, I've had both, the 4.0 makes way more torque, with a way wider power band, much better for hauling a load. I just heard here that the 4cyl. is a better motor, but I didn't hear why, I would like to know. If it were me I would forget the Toyota, because for about the same amount of money you could have say a Ford F150 4.6lt.v8 and a truck that can actually handle a camper, not only that but you can have a camper big enough to turn around in, Just my opinion.

Well the height is a good question. I'm not sure. I am 5-4 and my wife is 4-10. I think its 6-4 as I can barely reach the lights. In regard to the engine, Jon is probably right for the most part. I wanted what I got and I really like my truck. With the 4 cyl, you are going to be going slow up the hills and I could use a little more power on the freeway. Especially, when it is windy. I know as I go to the Sierras almost every weekend except for the winter time. Going up an average grade is 45 miles per hour. The steep grades such as the top of Sonora pass are 15 - 20 miles per hour. But with that said, I do not push the engine. The ol lady and I just cruise along. I don't go to the mountains to be in a hurry. But, I do pull over a lot to let people by.

In regard to the size of the truck. I know I can take my Tacoma places the bigger trucks can't go due to how short it is. Many places I go, I just see Jeeps and ATV's. And, in 4 WD Low Low. My Tacoma is like driving a tractor. It has never had any problem making it up anywhere. But, I drive real slow.

I still say the 6 cyl. is probably better. But, it sounds like you may have already found the truck. You know, I need an additional truck for my business and I have been looking at a Ford Ranger. They aren't bad. They got some nice 4X4's with 6 cyls.

Oh, and in regard to the 4 cyl being a better engine. Both Mechanics told me the 6 cyl is very expensive on maintenance and repair.

Darryl

ower band, much better for hauling a load. I just heard here that the 4cyl. is a better motor, but I didn't hear why, I would like to know. If it were me I would forget the Toyota, because for about the same amount of money you could have say a Ford F150 4.6lt.v8 and a truck that can actually handle a camper, not only that but you can have a camper big enough to turn around in, Just my opinion.
:LOL:

I wasn't going to chime in as I don't have a Toyota but my thought run along the same line. I have a 97 Granby which I put on an F150 longbed 4.6L. I have plenty of hills/mountains/passes/elevation change and while the 4.6 got me where I was going it had to work damn hard with a lot of down shifting and prolonged running in a lower gear. Not only do you have to carry the extra weight but also increased wind resistance. As the song says I can't drive 55, maybe the 4.6 would have been OK if I could. It's a long jump from a small 4 banger to my current power, the 7.3 diesel. I get better mileage with the 7.3 over the 4.6 and rarely does it even need to downshift. The 4.6 was getting seriously worked, now I loaf along. Not too long ago I thought a F250 would be overkill, now I wouldn't go with anything less.

From a Tacoma owner, get the 4 liter 6 cylinder. The 4 will get you there and back, but the 6 has more horsepower and torque and pretty close to the same mileage when loaded with a camper. Figure on getting some type of stiffening on the rear suspension: bags, super springs, timbrens, whatever you decide. Bobcats have 6' 4" interior height when raised as do the similar FWC models. As for room, we find the Bobcat size good for two people and a large dog. We do travel light as far as equipment is concerned so your needs may vary.

As an aside, the 4 cylinder is a stout engine, known for its ability to last even when used very hard. It has a world wide reputation for durability. The 6 hasn't been around as long, but the three versions I have owned have been pretty bullet proof even when used to tow a 3500# travel trailer.

From a Tacoma owner, get the 4 liter 6 cylinder. The 4 will get you there and back, but the 6 has more horsepower and torque and pretty close to the same mileage when loaded with a camper. Figure on getting some type of stiffening on the rear suspension: bags, super springs, timbrens, whatever you decide. Bobcats have 6' 4" interior height when raised as do the similar FWC models. As for room, we find the Bobcat size good for two people and a large dog. We do travel light as far as equipment is concerned so your needs may vary.

As an aside, the 4 cylinder is a stout engine, known for its ability to last even when used very hard. It has a world wide reputation for durability. The 6 hasn't been around as long, but the three versions I have owned have been pretty bullet proof even when used to tow a 3500# travel trailer.

The early v6 motors were dogs, couldn't keep a head gasket in the useless lumps, the 3.4 motor was better, but the narrow power band issue made for lousy fuel economy, not to mention the timing belt problems, the 4.0 is much better, but issues are starting to show up with timing chain cover leaking, and the motor is far from the fuel milage king. A Tacoma with a loaded camper is at gross, put 2 people in the truck, and your wife's purse and now your over, all the airbags, springs and whatever else you can come up with won't matter, because you're still overloaded, I don't get it, not a good way to start.

While I like the idea of a V8, I opted to supercharge my 05 Tacoma 4.0 V6. At the moment, it is kicking out 330 HP with other mods. The main reason being it's smaller size over a full sized truck while doing tighter trails. It is currently carrying a fully loaded Bobcat for 30 day+ travel outings.

I have 88K on my 05 and all is good, knocked on wood.

3rz motor with an extended cab and a 4WC (in my opinion,) is asking a bit much out of the truck. I ran with my ranger on my 2002 xcab 4 cyl for a while until I bought a suitable truck (the 96 in my sig) to bolt it to permanently, and it was just a dog. The extra weight of the cab and frame PLUS the camper put it outside of it's limitations. Singlecab? Anyday. But then you have the drawbacks of storage space (you have to pack and organize very wisely,) and the short wheelbase makes it a bit more top heavy. But I can do 80 on the highway all day long and I hardly even notice the drag of the camper. It zips. If you must have an extended cab, definitely go for the 4.0L v6.

Just my opinion, but FWIW I have owned 3 1st gen Tacomas; all with 4 cyl's. Bought my first one (also a s/c 3RZ 4x4) new when they came out in 95 and I've been driving them ever since. I just prefer the reliability and ease of maintenance of the 4 cyl motor (for the reasons others mentioned above,) over the other comforts.

I've a 06 Tacoma 4.0 V6 with supercharger on 265/75R16 tires it's just enough power for my liking. With a 4 cyl the engine will work really really hard to pull the weight and wind resistant from the camper. If I can do it over again, I would be really tempted to get a 250 diesel.

Hi! I purchased an 09 Tacoma V6 extended cab and an FWD Eagle. I camped in Colorado in late Sept. and the truck handled the weight and the trip beautifully. The gas mileage did go down to 16 miles per gallon from 21. I bought air bags and they handled the weight and the truck handled the open road and rough 4 wheeling without any noticeable downside to being mid-size. If I wanted a camper with a built in toilet facilities and more space I would want a bigger truck. However, I bought the truck I wanted,and then bought the camper that fit.

Just remember what the GVWR is, probably just over 1400?? Put the camper, a driver, a passenger, and gear and you hit that pretty soon.

I would recommend new Tacoma owners to get the heavier spring pack covered under a TSP. 3 leaves + a helper makes a difference in how the truck handles with the camper and cuts the need for high air bag pressure to compensate for the camper weight. I don't believe the GVWR is changed by the new springs but the handling of the weight is better. I get the impression from reading the posts here and experience with my own Toyota trucks that the Toyota GVWR is conservative, but trying to stay with the maximum weight of 5230 # is a pretty good idea.

Toyota Service Bulletin. Sorry about the P instead of B. Info at
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/3563-review-suspension-tsb.html

ame='jon' date='11 November 2009 - 09:00 PM' timestamp='1257998416' post='29182']

:LOL:

I wasn't going to chime in as I don't have a Toyota but my thought run along the same line. I have a 97 Granby which I put on an F150 longbed 4.6L. I have plenty of hills/mountains/passes/elevation change and while the 4.6 got me where I was going it had to work damn hard with a lot of down shifting and prolonged running in a lower gear. Not only do you have to carry the extra weight but also increased wind resistance. As the song says I can't drive 55, maybe the 4.6 would have been OK if I could. It's a long jump from a small 4 banger to my current power, the 7.3 diesel. I get better mileage with the 7.3 over the 4.6 and rarely does it even need to downshift. The 4.6 was getting seriously worked, now I loaf along. Not too long ago I thought a F250 would be overkill, now I wouldn't go with anything less.

This kind of brings up a problem with these campers, they are only “light weight” compared to most other truck campers. They certainly aren’t light weight with respect to the carrying capacity of light trucks, including ½ ton trucks. Unless you have a ¾ or 1 ton truck you are really overloading your truck with one of these, at least when you add passengers and gear. And driving ¾ and 1 ton trucks isn’t exactly sporting, I have a F350 crew cab short bed which I avoid taking anywhere that might have tight parking or that I would have to make a U-turn or other tight maneuvering. Not great for exploring forest service roads or similar, it can make for some anxious moments if you are unfamiliar with the area you are in. Flip pac campers are much lighter (but still relatively heavy because they are fiberglass) and I’m curious why compact truck owners (Ranger/Tacoma etc) wouldn’t consider one of those first - no power or overload problems even with 4 cylinder (I assume), no added suspension or tire requirements, better off-road. There are obvious differences but for something used for recreational camping it would seem to be much less hassle and expense. To each his/her own I suppose

I don't understand the sudden musings as to why some of us put campers on Tacomas, Rangers, and Frontiers. It is a combination that seems to work. These trucks with their Eagles, Bobcats, Rangers, etc. wander around the trails with very few reports of truck failure that I am aware of. There are those who take them on rather taxing trails with success. We all make our choices. Isn't that the idea?

Back
Top Bottom