6 volt dual battery set up

takingatrip1

Advanced Member
I currently have 2 12volt batteries in my Hawk and am considering dual 6 volt for better amp hours and deeper discharge.

Who has 'em and which ones do you have ?

thanks in advance !

I have two Energizer GC2, 210 AH, 6 volt FLA batteries from Sam's Club, $84, 64 lbs each. After 4 years of use they still measure 1.270+ specific gravity. I have 200W solar. Very pleased with my system.

jim

I have a dual 6 Volt set up with a 160 watt solar panel on the roof. Its a new camper and according to the FWC spec sheet they list the brand as Exide Model #2301WFP-AGM. Although I've only had my Hawk for 4 months I have used it a number of times camping and using the furnace quite a bit with the fridge always on. My last trip was for 7 days without charging or driving the truck and mostly in the shade with no problems.

Bill

Our second hand 2007 camper came with two 6-Volt FLA Golf Cart deep cycle batteries that were originally installed by FWC. Both batteries were marginal and one finally quit taking a charge.

I replaced them with two Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM 6V Deep Cycle batteries. They cost $300 each including shipping. The batteries will probably last a long time but they weigh 66 pounds apiece and they take up a fair amount of room (both are in battery boxes). I installed two 100 W solar panels on the camper roof and use a VIctron 75/15 controller to keep the batteries charged up.

If I were to do this over again I would look hard at using a LiFePO4 12 V 100Ah battery which cost around $950 and only weigh about 27 pounds.

Also I would get a Victron SmartSolar 100/20 ($157 @ PKYS) or 100/30 ($226 @ PKYS) solar controller with built in bluetooth.

I am considering replacing the 100 W mono-crystalline rigid solar panels on my camper (which weigh about 22 pounds each including the mounting hardware) with the Solar Cynergy semi-flexible 120 W panels in order to have less weight on the camper top (that should bring the weigh down to 5 - 7 pounds for each panel including mounting hardware).

Regards,

Craig

We also have the Lifeline GPL-4CT AGM batteries in our 2016 Grandby. Expensive, yes, but hopefully they will be worth it. We have the 160 Watt solar panel and the 130 liter 2 way fridge. The batteries have worked well through two 3 month trips, the first of which was Baja when our converter was not working so all charging was solar. The second trip was Alaska where we had many overcast and rainy days requiring shore power or the Honda generator to keep the batteries up. They are working great so far and are almost 1 year old. We're headed to Baja again, this time for 3-1/2 months.

We installed two Full River six volts. 224 AH each.

7 year warranty (2 year replacement, 5 year pro-rated). They have performed flawlessly.

fourwheeldrivekc said:
We installed two Full River six volts. 224 AH each.

7 year warranty (2 year replacement, 5 year pro-rated). They have performed flawlessly.

I have the same setup, also very pleased. They have been installed since 2/2016, they didn’t see much use until May 2017, prior to that I just used them to run the hydraulic pump on my Alaskan when rebuilding it. They were on the Magnum Charger the whole time

2 Rolls/Surrette 220 AH AGM batteries with 265W solar on the roof, Victron controller/monitoring. 35 days camping, 130L fridge, one roof fan, LED lights, charge phones, laptops, cameras, elect drill, etc. Never discharged below 85% except during one 3 day test when I disconnected the solar panels.

Anyone care to chime in what the advantage of using the 6v over the 12v are?

Is it an amp hour thing? size? weight?

Currently planning my setup and not to familiar with the 6v stuff

Thanks
Kevin

Since I just made a decision. I will try and name a few of the pros and cons between the two.

12V Pros. (Lighter, Cheaper, smaller). Cons (less energy)
6V Pros (more energy, Not that much heavier, not that much larger)

I went with 12V, because I am only going to run a furnace fan, and a few lights. But if I were to have a karaoke machine, and strobe lights, there is no question, 6V running is series can store more energy.

So Cal Adventurer said:
Anyone care to chime in what the advantage of using the 6v over the 12v are?
Is it an amp hour thing? size? weight?
  • 6 volt golf cart batteries are the cheapest of the true deep cycle batteries.
  • They are the most widely available. Any place with a golf course will have a distributor in the area. They can be found at Sam's Club and Batteries+Plus.
  • Most 12 volt batteries sold as 'deep cycle' are not. If the battery doesn't weigh about 60 lbs per 100AH, its not deep cycle. If a battery advertises lots of cold cranking amps its not deep cycle.
  • A single 12V, 200AH deep cycle battery will weigh ~ 120 lbs; a lot to man-handle.

jim

Also, note that six volt batteries (true deep cycle ones like those mentioned here) have thicker plates than 12 volt batteries. Thus they can endure periods of deep discharging and recharging with lower impact on their lifespan.

I'm a value shopper on most commodities, but never on batteries (or tires, meat or mattresses) :)

Kevin,

6 V FLA (Golf Cart) batteries must be vented. They also must remain upright or they will spill corrosive electolyte fluid and they require periodic maintenance to check and top off the electrolyte fluid in the cells.

AGM, Gell and LiFePO4 batteries are sealed and do not require (or even facilitate) electrolyte level checking/topping off. Also while the battery compartment should be vented the amount of gasses vented by these batteries is tiny compared to FLA. Another consideration is orientation, most if not all of these batteries do not have to be upright and will not spill.

An advantage to using 6 V deep cycle batteries is that you can connect two 220 Ah batteries in series to get 12 V and 220 Ah. While each battery weighs about 66 pounds they can be moved around by one person and put in a regular battery box.

In comparison a single 12 v 220 Ah deep cycle battery is twice as large as a single 6 V and weighs about 140 to 165 pounds. Putting one of these beasts into a camper would be no simple task.

A 12 V battery having the same weight as one 6 v 220 Ah battery (around 66 pounds) will only have about 100 Ah - 120 Ah capacity (there is no free lunch with regard to plate size and Ah capacity)

It is however reasonable to look at using a single 100 Ah -120 Ah 12 V LiFePO4. A single 12 V 120 Ah LiFePo4 battery can provide almost the same usable capacity as two 200 Ah 6 V batteries because it can be discharged more deeply than a AGM, FLA or Gel cell battery and it weighs about half as much as an equivalent size (Ah) AGM, FLA or Gell cell. However the cost is significantly higher.

All of these battery types have pros and cons which should be considered and which may make one or another a better choice depending on the particular use situation (on-road vs off road, minimal venting, weight, Depth of Discharge and number of deep discharges over the lifetime, etc).
Regards,
Craig

Thanks. I am currently running the Odyssey PC2150 (group 31) with 100AH and have an additional one in my garage (long story) that I was going to mount in the camper.

I will look into the 6v setups more closely and maybe change my setup around.

Am I correct in that wiring (2) 6v 220ah batteries will essentially give me 440ah? Dang

Thanks

So Cal Adventurer said:
Am I correct in that wiring (2) 6v 220ah batteries will essentially give me 440ah? Dang
Two 6V batteries wired in parallel = 6V and 440AH

Two 6V batteries wired in series = 12V and 220AH

jim

So Cal Adventurer said:
Thanks. I am currently running the Odyssey PC2150 (group 31) with 100AH and have an additional one in my garage (long story) that I was going to mount in the camper.

I will look into the 6v setups more closely and maybe change my setup around.

Thanks
If you already have two 12v batteries there is no reason not just to use those.

Back
Top Bottom