'72 Cabover Lowering Problems

Jackie, I believe they changed the piston design a number of years ago. As far as the wrong side of the country, there's a way to resolve that... :)

After I retire and wander out there to see if your cookies are as good as ours maybe......

gallery_5796_848_73799.jpg

Alaskan did upgrade from a 1" to 1.5" piston years ago.
Between the Alaskan and FWC, if better insulation, a hard top vice soft walls and in my opinion a warmer(looking)and cushier interior, go Alaskan.

If you don't mind the softwalls( or even specifically want the big windows). and the more Spartan interior, and want a camper that will last decades with just a washing, and if weight is a big factor, go FWC

So that last statement does bring up some questions.... Beside the Pirelli flap what other maintenance would the Alaskan need? Do you have to do anything to the hydraulic system or use it til it breaks and then fix it? Anything else that would be special to the Alaskan? It is a warm and inviting interior and the seats were a lot more comfortable than FWC. Didn't try the bed but willing to bet it was also....

Happyjax -
My Alaskan is a 2002 which has the larger diameter cylinders. The problem I had, as stated, was preventable.
I would strongly recommend the Alaskan. Over the 60+years ther have been a lot of evolutionary changes, and today's buyers benefit from all that experience.
I would have bought a new Alaskan, but for the lack of a shower option. Btw, a shower would be an easy modification on a new build flatbed build, but modifying to a flatbed hauler is not cheap/simple/easy change to make in both truck and camper.

Actually I talked with Bryan online and he said they could do a portable shower inside and also could put a platform on the roof I could photograph from..... He seems like a real nice guy. I just wish it wasn't so crazy far to pick the camper up...lol

thought I'd post this photo of a campground I stayed at in Banff NP - notice on the black board, "No tents or soft sided trailers due to bear actiivity" - although some may feel apprehensive about camping in a place with known bear activity even in a hard sided camper, I felt very secure. Had the place almost to myself too :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 145
Happyjax said:
Actually I talked with Bryan online and he said they could do a portable shower inside and also could put a platform on the roof I could photograph from..... He seems like a real nice guy. I just wish it wasn't so crazy far to pick the camper up...lol
Ahhhh - a road trip can be very thereputic - with a good supply of cookies - & coffee :)

or a directory of In and Out burger spots....

road trips are a good thing.... ;)

Wes...my new one is a match to your interior..including the avocado stove and oven

rusty,
i just love the layout of the side dinette floor plan. i thought about repainting the avocado stove,but i remember when most appliances were that color in the "good ol' days". maybe it will come back.at least my truck isn't the old ford aqua that my '69 was. eventually. my wife will change the upholstery to a better color, but for now ,it's fine. hopefully, your interior walls are in better shape than mine were.

wes

side dinette makes so much sense after you've had a forward dinette for so many years...this one came up fast....

it was for sale for 18 minutes....walls are almost perfect

now if I can just remember how to post pictures...LOL....I saw a yellow stove top/oven...I'm not saying where... :)

Back
Top Bottom