'84 8' Caobover complete rebuild

Ripperj

I'm not sure if this violates forum protocol, but I have a build thread going on Expo Portal in the popup camper section. It's way too much work to make two complete threads and things have been very quiet over here. Hopefully everyone is out camping.

You could put your build on a blog and then link to it from anywhere. There’s less interaction, but you only need to document it once. I was half way into a rebuild thread on one forum when the forum went belly up – all the posts and threads locked up and couldn’t be updated or modified. WordPress and Blogger are free and are pretty easy to use. Also, some forums only show pictures to members that are signed in, making it difficult to share your build with family, friends and other non-forum people.

Ripperj said:
I'm not sure if this violates forum protocol, but I have a build thread going on Expo Portal in the popup camper section. It's way too much work to make two complete threads and things have been very quiet over here. Hopefully everyone is out camping.
There's no problem at all with a link to another forum, or as TOC suggested, put it on a blog and link to both WTW & ExPo.

I have been really bad with updates on my Expo Portal build thread, here are a couple pics. A little caulk and installing the seals and it's water tight

Attachments

• 20160904195549.jpg
    20160904195549.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 235
Got to paint the off white water heater door bright white, that's why it's off

Attachments

• 20160904195520.jpg
    20160904195520.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 227
Geez Ripper...it looks brand new..... :eek: ......why is that??

glad you blocked the wheels....I'd hate to see you chasing it down the hill

VERY NICE

are you going to put emblems on it?

Thanks Rusty.
I have not really decided about emblems yet. At this point it's only Alaskan like :). I bought new style emblems from Alaskan, but not sure if they seem too cheesy. I also have the 3 original in great shape, just need paint

I don't see a retainer for the upper door....did you save it...??

nice additional light on the passengers side...there are benefits to spending all that time in the garage :D

I have a door retainer, but it's in the same place as the jack brackets and pirelli seals... I don't really like it and can't drill the holes to mount it :) right now I'm using a piece of masking tape.

Whoa. Just checked out your thread over on Expedition Portal. Seriously impressed with the quality of the work. I'd like to redo the exterior sheet metal someday but don't have that kind of bending/forming skill or experience. Really nice. Hopefully you get out in it soon.

Thanks! I just bought a 10ft siding brake and a 30" harbor freight special brake and went at it. It's not hard, just takes time and definitely a measure two or in many cases three times because the sheet metal traveled 3000 miles to get to me.
The toughest part for me is not scratching the new metal once it's on the camper.

Thanks! But completion is a bit optimistic :), I think I will be tent camping at Vermont Overland Rally the end of the month,vice living in luxury :)

Ripperj said:
Thanks! I just bought a 10ft siding brake and a 30" harbor freight special brake and went at it. It's not hard, just takes time and definitely a measure two or in many cases three times because the sheet metal traveled 3000 miles to get to me.
The toughest part for me is not scratching the new metal once it's on the camper.
scratches are a sign of endurance.....and character....the alternative is not good either way..... :D

if it's not scratched...you're not using it.. :( ......or it's like the one in Montana....too many scratches :oops:

I know some, including myself were nervous this thing would never make it outside :)
image1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom