A cautionary tale & question, anyone had issues with the SAE Solar roof outlet?

Stokeme

When I removed my roof panels & frame I had to of course unplug the SAE connector from the SAE roof outlet. The pigtail & the POS metal prong on the plug looked pretty aged, but Ok. I tested the panel’s V in the side yard & then moved to the backyard for my “formal” panel comparison testing. I setup & tested again, it registered on the multimeter, & then all of a sudden, the meter went to zero. I first thought I had to reset the meter tips into the plug, but as I went to do that, I could see the POS prong had broken off the plug. Too old & brittle I guess. It probably would have held up plugged in place on the roof for a while, but at some point, it would have lost contact leaving the system w/o any incoming Current. I had made a new pigtail, with Mc4 connectors, so I had an immediate replacement. I’ll have to make another. I now have a greater concern about the roof outlet. Has anyone had any issues with their Solar SAE roof outlet due to age? A broken roof outlet prong is something I can not easily, or at all, replace. Really problematic.

I completely agree. Thanks for the link. I have definitely thought about such a roof outlet. Can you offer any tips about how you handled the install, re interior/exterior? Would appreciate any insight, especially, that might prevent collateral damage.

Stokeme said:
I completely agree. Thanks for the link. I have definitely thought about such a roof outlet. Can you offer any tips about how you handled the install, re interior/exterior? Would appreciate any insight, especially, that might prevent collateral damage.
Remove the old SAE plug. You will likely find a connection between the plug and the camper hard-wiring just under the roof's sheet metal. Cut this off at a length that is usable for you to make new connections to.

Buy one of the suggested roof solar entry plates. I used one like this
https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-RNG-MTS-CE-Housing-Caravans-Marine/dp/B01N04XAHC/ref=pd_sbs_263_1/134-8284085-6478840?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N04XAHC&pd_rd_r=eae8ac51-ac3b-4496-a960-d2b3bca45702&pd_rd_w=E0PbL&pd_rd_wg=WylGX&pf_rd_p=bdc67ba8-ab69-42ee-b8d8-8f5336b36a83&pf_rd_r=M5Q3KWCN5BWR4C7CWWT4&psc=1&refRID=M5Q3KWCN5BWR4C7CWWT4

Like Ckent says above, seal with 3m 4200 or Dicor Lapseal.

As I recall, I took the screws out, carefully cut the sealant to get the SAE plug out and there was connections right there.

to install the new one I used Waco Lever Locks for the wires, Rtv and screws to mount it and Eternabond tape over the mounting flange.

I used what I had laying around.

Appreciate the feedback as I don’t have these supplies in stock. I am definitely going to swap out my roof outlet,
from SAE to MC4.

I don't like SAE or MC4 connectors. No connectors one mine. I figure the likelihood of my needing to remove the panels is slim and it won't be that big a deal to cut the wires and reconnect if I ever do.

Back
Top Bottom