A danger of Ride Rites, add-a-leafs etc.

I wouldn't say that it is likely to cause tire wear. A typical tone ring will have at least 60 'teeth' on it. So the ABS computer sees 60 pulses per tire revolution. The computer can take the reading, make the relative speed calcs, and make an adjustment well within one tire revolution. What will slow down the response is the mechanical bits. They have inertia and don't move as fast.

Least anyone think that I'm a rabid proponent of ABS, I unplug the rear-only ABS on my Suburban when in the dirt. It's simply too stupid to be able to deal with variable traction conditions and it caused me some damage to the truck in one instance.

I had a frightening 2001 Nissan Frontier that due to the ABS was practically unstoppable on a dirt road, in or out of 4wd. I would pull the ABS fuse every time I hit dirt. Somehow, my Dodge CTD has perfect braking even on dirt roads, even with ABS operating (regardless of in 2wd or 4wd). Maybe the ABS is simply less sensitive on the Dodge.

Thanks for posting this thread, it motivated me to *finally* get around to making that little bracket. It only took 20-30 minutes and the difference in front/rear bias is night and day.

Back
Top Bottom