A Day Hike in the Crystal Range - July 2019

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
What do we do when we are not off on a trip? We live in a spectacular area and since "staying home and sitting on our butts is not an option" we are usually off somewhere exploring. Here is a short day hike that also involved local history. You are most welcome to take a look at the story now posted to our blog -

A Day Hike in the Crystal Range - July 2019

Ski great hike.When we had our cabin in Dorrington we did lots of day hikes into the Ebbets pass area.
Lots of high meadows with some of the same history as your area.
Thanks for the "hike" along.
I always liked finding the "marker tree" then looking at the map to see where we were.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I always liked finding the "marker tree" then looking at the map to see where we were.
Forest Service Location Poster is often called a "K Tag". I was curious why. It took some digging to find out. In the early days of the Forest Service a ranger was required to have a list of items. The list, for some reason, used the alphabet instead of numbers. "K" was the location poster.

What a nice day in beautiful country. Glad to hear the land will be preserved. Thanks for the report.

ski3pin said:
Forest Service Location Poster is often called a "K Tag". I was curious why. It took some digging to find out. In the early days of the Forest Service a ranger was required to have a list of items. The list, for some reason, used the alphabet instead of numbers. "K" was the location poster.
Thanks Ski interesting fact.It's fun to find them out in the forest.
Frank

I'd heard the FS acquired the land but I didn't know it was open to the public yet. Gorgeous country.

There is some dispute over the origins of the K tag but that story is as plausible as any.

Back
Top Bottom