Salt Springs, Sierra Nevada - October 2022

Attachments

• Salt.jpg
    Salt.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 41
EDIT:

Well, the cut-copy attempt to attach a URL keeps disappearing from the text of my post. Perhaps someone with more chops than me (and that includes most anybody on earth) can do a better job of displaying the YT video.

The linked YouTube video titled Southern California Geology--Mafic Enclaves from "Geologically Speaking" includes lots of video of dark colored mafic inclusions within a mass of lighter colored (felsic) intrusive granitic rock. The exposures shown are way southeast of the Salt Springs intrusions but there are similarities in appearance. I had SWAG-ged that the xenoliths (inclusions) were wall rock fragments picked up by the intruding granitic magma but the geologist narrating the attached video refers to a process of a more mafic magma mixing in with a felsic magma to leave mafic "enclaves" (I'm too old to have used that term for the xenoliths).

A very brief search for geologic maps and/or related publications for the Salt Springs area did not turn up any professional writings about the nature of the xenoliths, but now I'm wondering if a magma mixing process may have formed the rocks seen near the reservoir.

Foy

Foy said:
I had SWAG-ged that the xenoliths (inclusions) were wall rock fragments picked up by the intruding granitic magma but the geologist narrating the attached video refers to a process of a more mafic magma mixing in with a felsic magma to leave mafic "enclaves" (I'm too old to have used that term for the xenoliths).
Well Foy, one geologist's mafic enclave is another geologist's xenolith (a term I am more comfortable with).

From airplane beacon towers, to crash sites, to Native American petroglyphs, the history is amazing. I have never heard of the salt basin. We enjoyed the ride along. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom