A High Sierra Sampler

Very enjoyable read. You need to turn several of your pictures in to Truck Camper's Magazines calendar contest.

I really like this one
4-July-2014-378-copy.jpg

Thanks once again for your detailed and thoroughly documented report! I'm happy to see, but not the least bit surprised, traditional land navigation skills, sans gadgets, being employed. There is no complete substitute for a topographic map, a compass, and the skills to use them.

Foy

Wow. What a trip! You both covered a lot of miles and elevation gain and did more in this trip than most will do in a year.
As always, a true pleasure to follow along with your entertaining narrative, fueled with local knowledge and observation. The photos are the icing on the cake!

Ski,

Thanks for posting such a wonderful post on your trip. I enjoyed the picture and the stories and I'm sure that I will re-read each one.

x2 to everything said already. You two sure do like to put the mileage on your boots (and your bodies)! I too appreciate the "old-fashioned" navigation style. The photos are beautiful. Very cool country- easy to see why you like it. Thanks for the report. :)

Thanks everyone for your very nice comments. Both of us appreciate that you enjoy these stories. :)

Lighthawk said:
Thanks for bringing back fond memories.
Paiute Pass to Mt Humphries was the first backpack trip Susan and I did together.
Glad to bring back some memories for you two! :) It is a special place up there. We had a lot of fun chatting with the folks hiking out from their trips. Lots of interesting tips and info. :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Oh, where do I get some of those 'concubines'?
Better watch out Mr. Sage, first time the Lady saw your user name it came out Wandering Sasquatch. :eek:

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Did you fish the lake with the cruising trout? North lake looks inviting and the campground sounds like a place to spend some time and short hikes out of.
I didn't fish, Frank. Thought about going back up to spend the day at Loch Leven but it looked like lots of people were showing up in the area. Quota on overnight but not on day trips. Lots of hoppers about.

craig333 said:
For fun I followed your route on google earth. Amazing how many lakes aren't named (at least on GE). Never did find Hester Lake.
Hester Lake on the North Palisades CA 7.5' quad

37°05'36"N 118°37'28"W

Foy said:
There is no complete substitute for a topographic map, a compass, and the skills to use them.

Foy
:) Practice the skills, make it habit to use them every trip. I was pulling out the compass and confirming our location.

Nice trip! I've got North Lake to South Lake loop on my radar after Labor Day,so thanks for the pictures they inspire me even more. It was also nice to see Humphreys in the morning. I still count that to be another 14er it is that close. I hope you two crank out more hikes we can read about.

Glad I waited until the end to comment (kept me going while I was stranded here and up at Ash Creek in this heat) ! Lot's of great old places to revisit and new places to think about visiting and plans to make as I add my new solar/batteries and other goodies to my pop up for those long adventures,---now just fill up the frig and go(almost :D)! Thanks again for the great TR---now if we could just get rid of the heat :p and try again to give Bob a butch haircut before he melts ;) before I head out.

Smoke

Thinking about doing North Lake in the near future. Inspired by YOU! ;)
What was the water level in the lake? South lake at the end of April was almost non-existent.

North Lake is a shallow natural lake right before the creek drops. Its level should remain fairy constant. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom