A New Baby!

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN
After months of searching for the right unit at a decent price and many failed "adoptions" on Crazedlist...I'm pleased to announce that it is now *official* that the FWCStork will bring the mtn-high's a *new* bundle of Joy here in W. Colorado sometime between 7-15 and 8-1-2008!!

BTW...it's a well-fed HAWK!

wooo hooo...I can't wait for the first flight!

mtn-(way)high

Attachments

• 07_Four_Wheel_001-250x196.jpg
    07_Four_Wheel_001-250x196.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,100
here is a picture of his new camper

the pictures really don't do it justice though

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 3333.JPG
    3333.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,121
MT,

Sorry, I completely missed the "new from the factory" Hawk. So it's a bunch of aluminum, wood, and plastic located in Woodland, CA. Still looks good and you're going to love it.

Stan,

4-6 weeks lead time, you guys must be pumpin' em out quick these days.

we are about as busy as we have always been (more or less)

running about 6 weeks for production times

Pat is getting his camper from Go Anywhere in Wisconsin.

Sean Dempsey pre-orders most of his campers, so he is selling one he has sloted to Pat (I believe).

Over all, sales are a bit slower than a few years ago, but still good & steady

(slow economy & high fuel prices don't really help anyone -- except the big oil companies)

If I had to sell anything RV related right now, I think we have one of the best products (some of the lowest priced RV type products available, light weight, and low profile)

====================================================

MT,
4-6 weeks lead time, you guys must be pumpin' em out quick these days.

Attachments

• 22222222.jpg
    22222222.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,122
You had my wife laughing hard @ the pile of aluminum stock, stan. (I was a machinist for many years so she knows the gig)

I had originally thought I'd do like many other guys and head west to see stan/FWC to snag the unit. However, time constraints over the next few months precluded me from making the drive as it's 4 hard days of driving from my place in W. Colorado to Woodland.

Top that off with the high cost of fuel, the miles on the truck, and the inevitable speeding tickets (LOL) as I raced West to get my camper...and I figured that having it freighted would probably end up being a smarter (i,e. cheaper) way to go in the long run. With Go Anywhere/sean being further East than even I am...it all just made sense to find a place in Wyoming to jump in front of the delivery truck and snag the unit rather than drive, drive, drive, and that's basically how it all fell into place.

I didn't go with any racks on my unit...nor did I get an awning. We're looking @ options @ present...and my thought @ this point is to rig up my own shade cloth-type apparatus. I need to look around and see what others have done in this area a bit more before coming up with a solid plan. Anyone have any ideas to show off? I have a few/a preliminary idea in mind I keep coming back to...and I guess the only way to find out if it will work is to buy the parts and put the thing together and see!

either way...this is gonna be fun and we're already looking ahead to *when & where* we can go...

Pat aka mtn-high

Congrats!!

Pat, you sound real excited! I know the feeling. I got my Grandby last Nov from Sean and I really love it. I'm sure you will absolutely enjoy your Hawk. Sean is great to work with too. I sometimes wish I lived in CO where you are. Much closer to the mountains than W. TN. Post some pix when you get your hawk.

Buzz aka buzzman

Do a search on awnings. We've had very long and interesting discussions about them. At least you left off the options that are relatively easy to add later.

New options?

I'm well into the gestation period here @ this point on the new Hawk. The FWC stork should arrive in a month'ish...so I'm hearing @ this point.

I don't wanna steal anyone's fire here...but there are apparently a few new options coming down the pipe @ FWC that I thought a few folks on the brink of ordering a new unit might want to be aware of.

The first one I was alerted to is that they will be using a different slider unit in the front window...one that a few other manufacturers evidently use/are using with good results. Evidently this window can also be easily removed, a (hopefully!) plus for folks like me with the full-drop electric rear window on their Tundra.

And yesterday I got a call asking if I'd like to add a new "lift system" to the topper that supposedly makes the top easier to pop up. With the threads and stories here @ WTW about folks building various types of levers/lift mechanisms to accomplish this and folks talking about it being a challenge @ times...I added the option and I guess we'll see what it is all about when it gets here! LOL. It's only money! (this could easily be cheaper than a trip to the back/neck doc though!) I was told that this option could be added later...so I'm speculating/guessing/talking-out-my---- here but I'll wager it can be added to most of the newer units...and maybe the older ones too. Stan?

Hopefully a few folks will make their way to the Santa Barbara show this weekend and these options will be in place/be able to be viewed in person so we get a bit more info/comment/user opinion on these new options from FWC users/Stan/etc...as well as on any other "new" options/develpments that FWC has in store for the remainder of 2008 and into 2009.

One thing is for sure..it's good to see them being responsive to the wants of thier customers as written here/elsewhere!

Uuuhum...lastly...I gotta say that I'm very glad I ordered mine before the Aug 1 base price increase I saw added in the last few days!

waiting...somewhat patiently...but not really...

mtn-high

one less remote camping spot!

Great,just what we need another remote camp spot taken up by a fwc!Hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do!I know we were just as excited as you when we ordered ours a few years back!
Hope you added the screen door opt,the best one in my opinon.
Drive slow and enjoy "its the journey"
Les,Lqhikers

New window and roof lift

I spoke with Stan, and he sent me some pictures of the new front window and the new roof lift system.

The new window is smaller than the old one, but the opening is larger.

What do you think?

Attachments

• Front Opening Window #1.JPG
    Front Opening Window #1.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 485
  • Front Opening Window # 5.JPG
    Front Opening Window # 5.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 498
  • Front Opening Window # 8.JPG
    Front Opening Window # 8.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 494
  • Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #3).JPG
    Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #3).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 502
  • Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #1).JPG
    Lift Assist Picture (gas struts #1).JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 482
Not that I would have an opinion....:D

For me with my short non extra cab I enjoy looking out the back and across the couch and can see out the side window. With a double cab I would miss that. If I was going to buy a new camper with my truck I would want to have the older window installed.

Those shock struts in the bed area I can see that I would have a battle with them at night and I think I would lose. If there was a way to remove them for sleeping and be out of the way that would be nice. What do they do and how do they assist in raising the top. Is it because now that the beds are getting longer it is getting harder to get it raised?

YUCK! NOT THE WINDOW I WAS EXPECTING ***AT ALL***!

This is THE only glitch in the FWC's for my use. Why not use the same window SNUGTOP uses for their shells THAT MATCHES THE TUNDRA WINDOW SIZE?..?

So how does a window boot work here with this dinky wiindow and the full drop Tundra electric rear window??

Answer: it DOESN'T! You lose all ability to have a pass through.

This small window ISN'T going to work for me... I'll back into something the first day!

Disappointing...VERY diappointing! Not only can you not SEE...you can't pass anything through such a small hole. (like MY wife's *** when I need something from the back while driving).

Folks....can the old style window be REMOVED easily like a window in a Snuggie shell? (screws around the frame?) Anyone?? There HAS TO BE A WINDOW THAT FITS!!

Ugghhh..... this hasn't been thought out very well, IMO. With the TUNDRA/HAWK being the #1 combo/#1 seller this is **the fix**??

PLEASE Don't stick that little window in my camper, Stan! (I'll be gettin out the Sawzall!)

Bummer! Wow.

Ditto on the new lift system. I added the option over the phone because it SOUNDED good.....but it's coming off after seeing how it is positioned and what a pain in the ***head*** it'll be at night when ya rap yer face on it rolling over. The shocks supposedly come off with a screwdriver...but even so...I can see these being very intrusionary into a space that is already wayyy too small as it is for a guy 6'3" tall.

Like the wife says...if you're too much of a wimp to lift the top you should just stay home and watch TV and forget goin' camping altogether...

yup.

Mtn Man
I'm guessing its not to late to cancel the lift system and I also think the old front slider must still be available. let us know how it turns out. I agree with you on the port hole up front and your wife is right.

I expected a larger window...not a smaller one!

This poses somewhat of a problem here because Stan told me that the some of the older windows have had moisture problems and that is one reason they are looking at other options. So it's old "leaky", or the new "micro"...yikes.

If these are the only options offered...I will get the older style window and take the unit directly to a good auto glass company and have them make me a custom *removable* unit that I can pop in/out as needed.

In the end there isn't anything money can't fix...not that I wanna do that but for 17K I WILL get what I want!!

It makes absolutely no sense here to do anything else.

I've got to agree with you guys, that small window wouldn't do at all and I know both of us would be banging around on the lift system too, not really very good changes.

window and lift

I agree totally.

I called to have the lift removed after seeing pictures of it.

However, it's too late to cancel the window. It is already installed in my camper. I wished I had known that there was a change in specs. I would have opted for the plain non-opening window over the small portal that opens.

Back
Top Bottom