A New World Opened Up

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Funny thing happened today. The last several days the rain has been relentless. I wouldn't be surprised if Noah knocked on the door and inquired if we'd be interested in a boat ride. Today it made a great day to go to the movies, our first time in probably three years, to see the new Spielberg movie, Lincoln. Yeah, we're cheap and hit the bargain early show. We were getting our tickets. I was looking at the prices and it hit me. I am now a senior. I told the Lady and the young woman selling tickets that it had just registered to me. We all three laughed out loud. She asked to change my ticket for a senior one. I said no, I'd save the discount for later.

Funny thing happened today. The last several days the rain has been relentless. I wouldn't be surprised if Noah knocked on the door and inquired if we'd be interested in a boat ride. Today it made a great day to go to the movies, our first time in probably three years, to see the new Spielberg movie, Lincoln. Yeah, we're cheap and hit the bargain early show. We were getting our tickets. I was looking at the prices and it hit me. I am now a senior. I told the Lady and the young woman selling tickets that it had just registered to me. We all three laughed out loud. She asked to change my ticket for a senior one. I said no, I'd save the discount for later.

Ski, welcome to the club.Take advantage when you can.Soon you can get your "magic kingdom"card from the NP service.
Frank

That's OK, Ski. You still aren't eligible for a reverse mortgage plan
wink.gif

Ski,
You're still a kid. Last Saturday I hit the age equal to the the speed limit between Sacto and Red Bluff on I5

Ski,
You're still a kid. Last Saturday I hit the age equal to the the speed limit between Sacto and Red Bluff on I5

Congrats on the milestone Mr. chnlisle! Are all the side benefits adding up? :D

More movie-related aging savings:
I don't go out to movies much either or I'd have gotten in on this sooner...but I went to see "Skyfall" recently (VERY entertaining, BTW).
At the concession counter at our local Regal mega-plex they offered several AARP deals (AARP card required) on popcorn/soda, such as "Large/Large" for $8.50. That's about 30% off what the youngsters have to pay. They also offered "Medium/Medium" and "Small/Small" deals...but why get Medium or Small when you could get Large?
blink.gif
So I got Large/Large. Score!
Here, "Large" is really "MEGA", but: Diet Coke, so there's no calories in the soda, and popcorn is a whole grain so that makes it health food. No butter, of course, but yes to salt (did you know that you'd DIE INSTANTLY if you had no salt in your body?
ohmy.gif
It's true!)

And you only have to be 50 to join AARP, don't have to actually be a retired person either, though I now qualify on that score, too (that, and paying my membership dues).

(My parents never joined AARP 'cause they think it's too liberal...and as a result they don't get discount popcorn/soda at Regal Cinemas. Yep, it's all about choices.
tongue.gif
)

Congrats on the milestone Mr. chnlisle! Are all the side benefits adding up? :D

Thanks Ski,
Just being on the green side of grass is a plus.

There's grass in The Old Pueblo?

http://azstarnet.com/sports/football/college/wildcats/arizona-football-arizona-stadium-likely-to-get-turf-in/article_7a45f9c4-8f02-5946-a576-abeb05c844bd.html

Welcome to the club brother. Not only do I ask for the senior discount, I hand them a coupon too! And then I pay them with exact change. This is after I drive there with my right turn signal on the whole time. One of the nice things about being an old guy is not worrying about being embarassed or what others think.

Mike

Welcome to the club brother. Not only do I ask for the senior discount, I hand them a coupon too! And then I pay them with exact change. This is after I drive there with my right turn signal on the whole time. One of the nice things about being an old guy is not worrying about being embarassed or what others think.

Mike

made my day, thanks Mike! :D

Mike

Mike, I always enjoy it when you chime in. :LOL:

:LOL:Ski
They have a point-being able to do what you want and not care, but we need all the bennies to keep us paying out taxes, because with the good comes the bad, high blood pressure, a pot, pills you never had before, suspenders, taking allot longer to walk that mile or climb those hills! Your next milestone will be that speed limit--65! When I hit 65, it seemed like I fell apart, one day a few zantacs, the next crestor, atenolol, and mylan! But as the say, the alternative is very much worse. I can deal with the pills, but arthritis and these newly discovered muscles that don't want to work as good as before are the worst problem-me I spent my life backpacking and hiking, climbing hills etc-now its allot harder to do!--but there is hope, as has been mentioned in other "Wonder the West" threads and posts, we have our FWC's to still get us out there:LOL: into the wilds. Maybe we can't do all the things as well as before, but again as someone noted before "when I go, I'll probably be sitting in my strong back chair with a nice vodka and cranberry juice, and a good book, while I sit under the awning of my FWC in some wonderful place"! So enjoy there are lots of adventures out there, just have them!

Smoke

I turn 65 next month: all set up for Medicare. I am relatively healthy and only take one medication for my low thyroid. What ticks me off is that I have to have prescription coverage or I will be penalized. I stay young by getting outside as much as I can, eating fruit/veggies from our garden, and trying to reduce stress. It doesn't hurt that all 4 grandparents died at from 89 to 100 and both parents are still alive. I have my passions: music, photography and travel. The first thing I did at 62 was get my parks pass. And, I use the senior discounts frequently. Fred Meyer (Kroger) has 10% off first Tuesday of each month on non-food items plus Fred Meyer brand foods. And, I am enjoying the 12 12 12 concert; just saw Eddie Vedder and roger waters singing "Comfortably Numb". Best wishes to everyone this holiday season.

Back
Top Bottom