A question for DLN, please

Darryla

Hi DLN: I am wondering if you have any special springs or airbag upgrades on your rig. I am thinking of buying Supersprings before I pick up my camper? What do you think?

Also I can't tell, is your truck an extended cab or standard?

Thank you,

Darryl

Stand By

I'll be stripping the entire front and rear suspension off of an 09 Tacoma, this weekend, for a complete upgrade, upper control arms, spring packs and hydraulic bump stops, King adjustable coil overs. I would go for the bags, especially if you remove your camper often, you'll have more adjustability, and probably a better ride unloaded. I'm going to post what I do for you Tacoma lovers, this is the rite way, coming up weather permitting. EAT MORE FISH

Darryla,
Not DLN but I've the same truck like yours. I've Firestone air bag with add-a-leaf and Bilstein 5100 shocks. The stock shocks does not have enough damping to control the added/stronger spring. Not sure if you are aware there is a TSB on the leaf spring, SU006-07. Toyota address the issue of the weak leaf spring with a new leaf spring and shock from the sport package Tacoma. That TSB only applies to 06-07 Tacoma I read there is a newer TSB for the 08+ Tacoma.

Fisherman,
Can't wait to see your approach in upgrading the suspension. What was the goal of your upgrade? Is it for better handling or load carrying or ?

Alex

Darrly,

Alex just about answered your question for me but I'll respond also. I started with an add a leaf from a spring shop which took the weight fairly well but created some bucking over highway slabs. So I changed to a set of 4 heavier shocks and this slowed the bucking and added some needed damping to the truck. But, as others have stated, the final and absolutely necessary addition was the ride rite air bags. They allow me to take the sag out of the driver side and adjust to all conditions, not to mention help with leveling in camp. Oh, almost forgot, my truck is an extended cab. As to the Supersprings there have been varying opinions here on the forum about them. I'd say if you intend to keep the camper on full time or even most of the time I'd go with the add a leaf for simplicity. If not I'd go with the Supersprings for versatility.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'll put it out there.

I just had Firestone airbags installed on 06 Tundra AC with 18" TRD wheels.
Ride-Rite suggests minimum of 1/2" clearance from wheel to airbag, but I've got more like 1/4"
Makes me uncomfortable even tho I jumped up and down, bouncing the truck while the mechanic watched.
He'll do some research tomorrow, but thought it would be ok. Another possibility is to put spacers behind the
wheel to shim it out. Anyone have any experience with these clearance issues?

I will say it rode a lot firmer on the way home with 40 PSI in the bags.
Long term plan is to have the FWC Hawk on the truck 30% of the time, otherwise ride bare.
No other suspension mods on the TRD package has been done other than the 18" (stock?) wheels.

Andy
www.pbase.com/lighthawk

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I'll put it out there.

Andy
www.pbase.com/lighthawk

Andy,
I also have had this issue. I have a 2002 Tundra w/an Ocelot. Before mounting the camper I installed Air Lift air bags on the truck. After installing them I noticed that the bags were quite close to the tires and figured I would keep my eye on it. After I picked the camper up in Sacramento I inflated them and frankly was quite pleased with the ride. I really forgot about it until we did a White Rim trip with the camper. During that trip I became concerned about how close the bag was to the tire with all the rough roads we were on. Sure enough during the trip the tire contacted the bag several times. Fortunately not enough to puncture but definitely enough to wear on it. When I returned home I took a close look at it and decided that with the amount of off road driving we would be doing it just wasn't worth the risk. Airlift was not much help and said they had not heard of any issues. I ordered a set of spacers from spidertrax for the wheels and installed them and they provided plenty of space. I have since switched to supersprings and left the spacers on. I find the supersprings to be a "compromise" if you will. They do hold the camper but IMO are not as firm of a ride. I am sort of stuck to be honest with you. I like the ability to take the camper off and not feel like I am riding on railroad ties. The next best choice I am considering is a custom leaf spring pack. One member here has done that and has been quite happy. I just have spent enough $'s for now so I will have to save up. If I had it to do over again I would have started with just the add-a-leaf and gone from there. Like many things everything is a compromise...sort of the "spork" approach. I plan on living with what I have for a while as I feel like the supersprings are not going to leave me stranded down some road and seem to support the weight just fine. The spacers do not seem to have any ill effects and I check them regularly for safety and they are doing well. As a side note I guess the spacers create a slightly wider track for you. Hopefully some others will chime in here I am really just a shadetree type of guy with this stuff. Good luck and I look forward to hearing some of your solutions.
Steve

boy! thats a good description of your experience with airbags.
theres always a lot of discussion about springs and airbags, especially on the small trucks.
this is valuable insight

I’m using Bilstein 5100’s front and back with a new leaf pack with Timbren bump stops and like the results on and off road. I think airbags alone are dangerous with a loaded camper.

Thanks for the write up Steve! Somehow I missed your response to my query.
So far I've seen no rubbing, including last weekend with 30 miles of very rough road.
Still, it's a concern.

I'm still in the honeymoon of spending money on my truck and am shopping for a set of E rated tires.
The amount of sway I'm getting from the Hawk, sitting somewhat high, on my Tundra is more than I like.
I've watched my tires with side mirror on a curvy road and they squish around pretty bad at 42 PSI which is
max for SL (Standard Load) rated tires. I've gotten quotes on Mastercraft Coursers and looking at BFG KO's.

My concern is that the new heavier tires may even encroach farther into the clearance between the bags and
the tires. Guess I may be looking at some spacers too.

Final (dangerous word!) mod in the works is a Helweg rear anti-sway bar which I've received. It's scheduled
to be installed next week : )

I'm hoping that the E rated tires, plus sway bar and air bags is gonna be enough for me to feel confident on most
off road trips. Planning a Black Rock or similar tour over Labor Day, so I've got an incentive to get this done.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom