A Quick Trip to Ash Creek CG Modoc NF

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1
Too hot in Susanville, took a quick run up tp Ash Creek CG on the Modoc to try to learn how to fly fish-this is my first attempt at adding text and photos from another site (with marks help)! This is not as neat as some postings but I'm trying!

Ash Creek CG is easy to get to! Just follow the county road east on the south end of Aden (299-139 intersection) past the gas station to the fs road and follow the signs. About six prim camps/fire rings, water tap (need to boil), no fee open April-Nov. depending on Snow! Not many people, except for fly fisher persons, nice and quiet.

100_0673.jpg

Camp set up

First night had lightning, thunder, fire clouds and lot's of wind! A couple of fire engines bussed by! Sky lit up from the fire etc-fun.

100_0670.jpg

Overview of Ash Creek CG/Meadow
100_0679.jpg

Time to fly fish

100_0677.jpg

Bob ready to pounce from the shadows on the first trout

100_0676.jpg

Gotta be some trout here!

100_0678.jpg

nice stream

100_0680.jpg

Truck/FWC resting in the shade

100_0675.jpg

Would you believe cows-cows coming into the picture! Never understood, the government spends lot's of time and money to rehab these meadows/riparian ares and then they let cattle in to again destroy 'em again-glad i'm retired. Spent allot of time on rehab teams!

100_0684.jpg

Think positive-Maybe I'll figure out how to tie the right fly and catch a pan sized trout out there!
100_0681.jpg

I did it-anyway a week was spent and fun was had by all, still learning to fly fish-maybe better next time

Nice pics Smoke. Fly fishing just takes patients.What size rod and line do you use? Looks like about a 7' rod would work on that stream.That's just about all I fish with.I have a 7' bamboo that I have fun with.Anything up to 5# or so,but I don't usually go after or find myself in large fish areas.I have driven past that area many times usually passing through.Have wanted to stop and fish the Pit but it seems like a lot of private property around there.Next time we need a travel stop or a place to go might give Ash Creek a try.
Thanks for the report.
Frank

Clear streams require stealth. I often will walk by a stream I intend to fish with polarized glasses and watch the trout scurry for cover. I note the deep undercuts and holes where the bigger fish are likely hold in primo feeding positions. Trout want cover and food, just like us. Think like a fish. :)

Then show up with an 8' or 10' leader on a 3 weight, possibly 5 weight rod. Use a small #16 fly, something dark during brighter days. Stay low and well back from the stream edge as much as twenty feet. I like small dry flies with little white poly puffs I can see with my fifty something year old eyesight. I use floatant frequently and dry my fly constantly (between fish, which tend to sully my fly :D 0.

With practice; including many a fishless outing, you can find many fun little fish in streams and lakes, Smoke. Give it time. There's some good literature out there too to learn from.

Nice pics Smoke. Fly fishing just takes patients.What size rod and line do you use? Looks like about a 7' rod would work on that stream.That's just about all I fish with.I have a 7' bamboo that I have fun with.Anything up to 5# or so,but I don't usually go after or find myself in large fish areas.I have driven past that area many times usually passing through.Have wanted to stop and fish the Pit but it seems like a lot of private property around there.Next time we need a travel stop or a place to go might give Ash Creek a try.
Thanks for the report.
Frank

Thanks Frank, seems like there is allot to learn about fly fishing and allot willing to help us "newbies" ! One fisher person even gave me a properly tied 7 foot leader to help me get started! Thing that still bothers me is the creek isn't fenced and the cattle are still messing the streams health up-to much algae and other stuff in the creek. Anyway, it's still a nice place and the "lope" do come down to play here.

Smoke!

Clear streams require stealth. I often will walk by a stream I intend to fish with polarized glasses and watch the trout scurry for cover. I note the deep undercuts and holes where the bigger fish are likely hold in primo feeding positions. Trout want cover and food, just like us. Think like a fish. :)

Then show up with an 8' or 10' leader on a 3 weight, possibly 5 weight rod. Use a small #16 fly, something dark during brighter days. Stay low and well back from the stream edge as much as twenty feet. I like small dry flies with little white poly puffs I can see with my fifty something year old eyesight. I use floatant frequently and dry my fly constantly (between fish, which tend to sully my fly :D 0.

With practice; including many a fishless outing, you can find many fun little fish in streams and lakes, Smoke. Give it time. There's some good literature out there too to learn from.

Help!:LOL:Tell me please that I'll be able to understand all this fly talk one day Lighthawk! So much to learn, but they say learning new things is good for my old brain-keeps it healthy or something! I'm starting to understand parts of what you guys are saying-or is some plot just to make me "think" I understand:unsure:!

Smoke

Help!:LOL:Tell me please that I'll be able to understand all this fly talk one day Lighthawk! So much to learn, but they say learning new things is good for my old brain-keeps it healthy or something! I'm starting to understand parts of what you guys are saying-or is some plot just to make me "think" I understand:unsure:!

Smoke

Smoke it's not that hard the basics anyway.I fish my own style.I have been fly fishing since I was a youngster in the 50's,but I try to use all info available where I can.Also if you see "real" fly fishers they will help you,like the one who gave you the leader info.Andy's info is real good and just about all you need to have fun and catch some fish.The sport has gotten way over my dollar input so I keep the basic flys and rod and reel. All my gear I carry in my vest.Most "fly" shops will help with your questions.A good on line store is the Flyshack.com . One thing Andy mentioned was the polarized glasses they are a great help and also keep all that glad from your eyes,which isn't good for them.
I usually don't fish "big" water it can dangerous if you don't know the area especially if you are wadding. A wadding stick is a must as are good shoes and if you get into some deep water a life vest of some sort is good the suspender type works and isn't restrictive. I use light weight gear,small flys 16 to 20's mostly dry but there are times that a good wet fly can get some hits.I do enjoy using a dry fly and watching the fish attack it,even if it doesn't take the fly.I look at it like "counting coup".Like the Indians would do to their enemies in battle,getting close enough to touch them.
As for terms,remember 1.trolling is,striping in,2. a bobber is a strike indicator.
The main thing IMO is to have fun,be out in nature and as you mention respect the environment.
Well enough for now ,have fun.
Frank

Smoke it's not that hard the basics anyway.I fish my own style.I have been fly fishing since I was a youngster in the 50's,but I try to use all info available where I can.Also if you see "real" fly fishers they will help you,like the one who gave you the leader info.Andy's info is real good and just about all you need to have fun and catch some fish.The sport has gotten way over my dollar input so I keep the basic flys and rod and reel. All my gear I carry in my vest.Most "fly" shops will help with your questions.A good on line store is the Flyshack.com . One thing Andy mentioned was the polarized glasses they are a great help and also keep all that glad from your eyes,which isn't good for them.
I usually don't fish "big" water it can dangerous if you don't know the area especially if you are wadding. A wadding stick is a must as are good shoes and if you get into some deep water a life vest of some sort is good the suspender type works and isn't restrictive. I use light weight gear,small flys 16 to 20's mostly dry but there are times that a good wet fly can get some hits.I do enjoy using a dry fly and watching the fish attack it,even if it doesn't take the fly.I look at it like "counting coup".Like the Indians would do to their enemies in battle,getting close enough to touch them.
As for terms,remember 1.trolling is,striping in,2. a bobber is a strike indicator.
The main thing IMO is to have fun,be out in nature and as you mention respect the environment.
Well enough for now ,have fun.
Frank

I'll keep on trucking-after all I've learned to tie 2 new knots but my old fingers refuse to learn to many new things at a time!:LOL:

Smoke

Yeh I know what you mean.One of these days we might run into each other and cast a few flys.Hope the smoke from the fires clears away soon.
Frank

Frank
Maybe-lot's of places to see and fish still out there! Did meet MarkBC and another out at the Steens----man, the smoke is getting bad, more grog, before my eyes tear up and i can't find the frig! (Just Kidding-can always find the frig)! Just checked that camping site out that Ted suggested-a place to unload all those pictures I've taken over the years!

Smoke

I must have been eight, maybe ten. Small stream, we could see the fish. My dad tried for hours dragging all kinds of lures, bait past the fish. Finally he gave up and gave me the pole. I didnt drag anything by it, just let the bait (can't recall what it was anymore) sit still out there in front of it. Eventually it reached out and grabbed it.

Never been a fly fisherman but in my younger days I'd hike in and fish small streams. I always fished big rock big pools. Never let them see your shadow. I'd crawl out onto the rocks and just dribble the line over the rocks. Caught a lot of fish that way.

P.S. if you're parent, careful what you say to your kids. I had my dads prized fenwick, stumbled, dropped it into the water, nearly drowned myself getting it back. I know he wanted me to be careful with it but it wasn't that prized!

I must have been eight, maybe ten. Small stream, we could see the fish. My dad tried for hours dragging all kinds of lures, bait past the fish. Finally he gave up and gave me the pole. I didnt drag anything by it, just let the bait (can't recall what it was anymore) sit still out there in front of it. Eventually it reached out and grabbed it.

Never been a fly fisherman but in my younger days I'd hike in and fish small streams. I always fished big rock big pools. Never let them see your shadow. I'd crawl out onto the rocks and just dribble the line over the rocks. Caught a lot of fish that way.

My dad always said: "If you can see the fish, they can see you". Not sure if that's always true, but it's one of those things I've never forgotten. Another fishing-related saying my dad taught us: "A lot of things feel like a bite, but a bite feels like nothing else".
I haven't fished in about 40 years, but I still remember those. :D

I'm not much of a fisherman myself but I'm starting to see a theme here. Perhaps a fly fishing based rally could be put together. It would include those that know how to and those that want to learn. I personally fall into neither category but am throwing it out there as an idea that someone else may want to pursue.

I'm not much of a fisherman myself but I'm starting to see a theme here. Perhaps a fly fishing based rally could be put together. It would include those that know how to and those that want to learn. I personally fall into neither category but am throwing it out there as an idea that someone else may want to pursue.

Me-I'm what they call a recreational fisher type-more into the process than the eating-not that I don't sometimes! I've spent many years throwing things at those shinny things swimming around the pool and hiding in the rocks. So to me this is the next step-using things that look the things they eat to try and catch them-I mean really trying to outsmart them---impossible, but hey, something new to do on that nice stream that I've found while "wandering the west". So, I'm learning something new, so give me a few months of learning before we have a fly fishing rally--but I'm game when ever!:LOL: Tying knots is so far the hardest thing, sneaking up on the fish, is in my nature, and a low crawl to the creek to surprise the buggers is what's it is all about!

Smoke:LOL:

P.S. if you're parent, careful what you say to your kids. I had my dads prized fenwick, stumbled, dropped it into the water, nearly drowned myself getting it back. I know he wanted me to be careful with it but it wasn't that prized!

Too true, Craig. The words of a parent can wound deeply. I remember being in Yellowstone in the late 60's as a sub-teen. I had a stringer of trout as Dad & I climbed the steep road bank up from the stream. I heaved the trout up onto the road as I struggled to climb the bank. Wouldn't ya know? A car came by and ran over our fish. :eek: Well, it wasn't the only time I heard a few curse words.

A better story was when my Dad was showing off to my Mom how flexible his new rod was as he flexed the tip section. Snap-O! :oops: The worst thing was, she could not laugh, and had to hold it in. Now she tells the story with a chuckle and a twinkle in her eye.

But I have to pay homage to the Dad. He took me out on many a Colorado camp out with buddies, fishing and hanging out around the campfire while the guys knocked back Coors. I got hooked at an early age on the Gunnison, Cache Le Poudre, and the Colorado to name a few. Back then it was a bubble and fly on light spinning gear. Thanks, Dad.

Too true, Craig. The words of a parent can wound deeply. I remember being in Yellowstone in the late 60's as a sub-teen. I had a stringer of trout as Dad & I climbed the steep road bank up from the stream. I heaved the trout up onto the road as I struggled to climb the bank. Wouldn't ya know? A car came by and ran over our fish. :eek: Well, it wasn't the only time I heard a few curse words.

A better story was when my Dad was showing off to my Mom how flexible his new rod was as he flexed the tip section. Snap-O! :oops: The worst thing was, she could not laugh, and had to hold it in. Now she tells the story with a chuckle and a twinkle in her eye.

But I have to pay homage to the Dad. He took me out on many a Colorado camp out with buddies, fishing and hanging out around the campfire while the guys knocked back Coors. I got hooked at an early age on the Gunnison, Cache Le Poudre, and the Colorado to name a few. Back then it was a bubble and fly on light spinning gear. Thanks, Dad.

Ditto - thanks Dad! He taught me to fish for strippers in the slews and inlets off of the SF Bay! Every Saturday was off to wingo to fish after the run to the dump!
Smoke

Smoke, looks like there are a few places to practice casting in your neighborhood. Watch out, though. Before you know it you'll be dumping $$ on fly tying vises and tools...

http://www.hookandbullet.com/c/fishing-susanville-ca/

Smoke, glad you answered the call and got out there! Learning something new is good for the soul. With fly fishing, remember the bottom line is to have fun. Actually I think my Dad ended his talk about sex along the same lines.

One book I enjoy about where to fly fish in the Sierra Nevada is Bill Sunderland's book Fly Fishing the Sierra Nevada.

Smoke, glad you answered the call and got out there! Learning something new is good for the soul. With fly fishing, remember the bottom line is to have fun. Actually I think my Dad ended his talk about sex along the same lines.

One book I enjoy about where to fly fish in the Sierra Nevada is Bill Sunderland's book Fly Fishing the Sierra Nevada.

Thanks ski! I'll just keep on plugin along>

Smoke

To many-guess that's better than not enough.

:pSmoke

Smoke you could chech out some of the smaller lakes around and do some "barcalounger"fishing,(that's a float tube).It's fun and really not very expensive.
Have fun Frank

Back
Top Bottom