A Successful Hunt

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Two nice ruffed grouse for dinner.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

Jonathan, it’s a CZ Teal in 20 gauge, 28” barrels, choked IC & M. A tad bit heavy for chasing chukar and huns, but still a nice upland gun. You can find them on sale under $500.

For the steep stuff, I prefer my Beretta Silver Pigeon 286 with 26” barrels. Or… if I want to miss with 3 shots, a Franchi Affinity 3, also with a 26” barrel, choked M. Both are 20 gauge.

So, are you a SxS guy? Gotta be careful with those double guns…😇
IMG_1258.jpeg

No, I didn’t do that.

Two nice ruffed grouse for dinner.
View attachment 111387
👍 that’s great Steve!! Love it. Our Fall weather is just beginning here in Southern IL.

In 2009, at 10,800 ft in the Weminuchee Wilderness Area, I killed a ruffed grouse with my longbow while hunting out of state in Colorado.

With a small game, Elk, and Black bear tag in my pocket and sitting around the campfire that evening I told Gilbert, my hunting partner “this is the most expensive chicken dinner you’ll ever eat”

It’s about the experience, filling a permit is secondary, but rewarding. I gun hunt too

Congratulations! my friend…..

The blown barrel is on my grandfather’s L C Smith Field grade 16 gauge, probably choked modified and full. I’m hoping to find a compatible barrel set, or a double gun capable gunsmith with the skills to replace the right barrel so it can again be a shooter for future generations.

In the 1970s, a cousin was trying reloads and had a squib. Instead of checking the bore, he put another shell in and you see the result of his mistake.

Remember, shotguns are like fly rods in that not all will do everything well.

Frank, I used a batter mix (dry), with light poultry seasoning, then pan fried in butter. Summer squash and rice as the sides, plus a bit of rosé to wash it down. A nice fall meal.
View attachment 111482
Very yummy. Many years when I was into bird hunting the quail I managed to get were sauteed
in butter. Very tasty. Thanks.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom