inReach Messenger Plus

My cost has stayed at $11.95. I have the option to move up for more messages (50 instead of 10) and include detailed weather for the same cost as a message (currently $1 per detailed weather). Cost increase would be $3, and you can't go back to your old plan once you choose to upgrade. I haven't ever used 10 messages in a month, but the increase of messages including detailed weather is something to think about. (all costs are per month).

My cost has stayed at $11.95. I have the option to move up for more messages (50 instead of 10) and include detailed weather for the same cost as a message (currently $1 per detailed weather). Cost increase would be $3, and you can't go back to your old plan once you choose to upgrade. I haven't ever used 10 messages in a month, but the increase of messages including detailed weather is something to think about. (all costs are per month).

We also were on the $11.95 plan with the option of staying on it. Because of our message usage, we moved to the new $14.95 plan as - with the 50 messages - it was more economical for us.

Is this the most popular device recommended for ‘wanderers’? I have been wondering what to purchase for my future travels and know I won’t have cell service for almost all of my plans.

FYI Lots of inreach devices found on Craigslist, so looks like I may be in luck. Seems folks buy for one trip then sell them, if anyone else is in the market might be some good deals.

Julie and I purchased the very first Delorme InReach device prior to Delorme being bought out by Garmin. After many years, it still does all we need it to do. Messaging and such is made much easier by the free Earthmate app on the cell phone that connects to the InReach with that bluetooth thing. It does require a subscription with Garmin - for us $14.95 a month.

We have it with us on all our travels. We have two main emergency contacts - who have extensive SAR/mountaineering/backcountry experience as we do - who we know will work as our advocates if/when there is ever the need. We have used the SOS feature - to help others we've come across.

We have educated close friends how to send our InReach a message so they have the ability to contact us if there is a need to do so.

Is this the most popular device recommended for ‘wanderers’? I have been wondering what to purchase for my future travels and know I won’t have cell service for almost all of my plans.
Some new phones have satellite capability. Deb's does but we've not tried it yet. Phones aren't nearly as rugged as the devices mentioned above though, and battery life can be an issue. We used the InReach emergency once and was impressed with the service. Anyway, since her phone can text anyone via satellite (without charge for another year) we'll try it on our next trip and report back. Another tool that might come in handy some day.

Here's a video that compares one phone with an InReach:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom