A summer on the Oregon coast

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
I've found myself in a situation where I will be spending my weekdays camping around Newport, Oregon, and weekends taking side trips or visiting my folks in Eugene. I haven't spent much time on the Oregon coast so this will be a good time to make some new discoveries. I've been at the coast two weeks so far and I'll keep updating this report as time goes on.

Jack Morgan County Park on the Siletz river:
gallery_2_16_247583.jpg

South Beach State Park:
gallery_2_16_34968.jpg

Home sweet home:
gallery_2_16_45367.jpg

Yaquina Bay Bridge from south jetty:
gallery_2_16_36041.jpg

Get/rent yourself some crab rings and a little boat and go crabbing out in Yaquina Bay.
I haven't done this in years, but back in the day we'd rent a house in Newport and go out on the Bay and (usually) catch a goodly amount of delicious marine crustaceans!
Free food!
biggrin.gif

Get/rent yourself some crab rings and a little boat and go crabbing out in Yaquina Bay.
I haven't done this in years, but back in the day we'd rent a house in Newport and go out on the Bay and (usually) catch a goodly amount of delicious marine crustaceans!
Free food!
biggrin.gif

Yeah I'd like to get out in a boat at some point!

Great pics, better weather. RVs burn hot and fast don't they. Ouch!
So many beautiful places to explore and you can always dart inland a few miles if the fog gets too bad. Pacific City and Cape Lookout State Park are a bit north, but they are good places to watch or catch a ride on a hang glider.
Looks like a fun summer.
Enjoy

The Heceta Head lighthouse is just a short hike off the road a short distance north of the Sea Lion caves. There is a wide flat beach under the bridge just south of the lighthouse with parking, and a trail goes up the hillside to the keepers mansion and then another 400 yeards to the lighthouse itself. There are trails on the wooded hillside behind the lighthouse also. They should be restoring the lighthouse this year and next so the lighthouse may be closed. It was open for tours last summer by volunteers. The Mansion is a B&B also. Stayed there last July 4/5th. Excellent breakfast and views and some very nice photographs of the light beams from the windows with the setting sun. The views are killer from the NW to the south all the way to Florence 13 miles away. Not good for camping, but worth a stop if passing through there.

Yeah I'd like to get out in a boat at some point!

Look for a captian called 'Crabby', right on the waterfront in Newport... Nothing about his operation looks touristy, but he can drive a boat and get you onto some crabs.

I love that section of the Oregon Coast! I used to 'work' (if you could call it that) Lincoln County 2 days a week, loved it.

Cheez, the "Captain Leisure" nickname needs to be resurrected for sure! Some kinda life pal.

Looks like you are having fun. How is my pal diego liking the cooler coastal weather?

Those are some great pics, keep em coming!

Somewhat-famous Earthroamer rebuild spotted at South Beach State Park. Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to the owner:

gallery_2_16_215380.jpg

Mike must not have known that the tent sites are cheaper, nicer, have more privacy, better showers and bathrooms, and will accept most campers. Just for future reference :)

For you vegetarian types: roasted beets with goat cheese and balsamic reduction:

gallery_2_114_19201.jpg

The D Unit:

gallery_2_16_164715.jpg

Kerstin south of Newport

gallery_2_16_13880.jpg

For those of you that thought you would never see me in a suit and tie:

gallery_2_1_262181.jpg

Weekend trip to the country fair

gallery_2_16_36683.jpg

gallery_2_16_231202.jpg

gallery_2_1_262181.jpg

Weekend trip to the country fair

OMG!
ohmy.gif

I've never attended that great tradition -- the Oregon hippie fest...though I hear it's more "family-friendly" than in the those free and easy days of yore.
rolleyes.gif
Or maybe that just means it's more legal now...

Was the Fair fun, DD?

OMG!
ohmy.gif

I've never attended that great tradition -- the Oregon hippie fest...though I hear it's more "family-friendly" than in the those free and easy days of yore.
rolleyes.gif
Or maybe that just means it's more legal now...

Was the Fair fun, DD?

There's still a lot of nudity but I say boobs are good for family morale. Yes, it was an incredible time and I can't wait to go back next year.

gallery_2_1_262181.jpg

Is that thar what they call an Ory-gun Tan Farmer Dog? Dead sexy you lady killer!!! I can smell the patchouli from here (and I love patchouli!)

Back
Top Bottom