A taste of real winter in the West(ern portion of the NC coastal plain)

Foy

Resident Geologist
Weather junkies can have some fun and make sport of the mass hysteria concerning an approaching nor'easter over here on the Eastern Seaboard over the next 24 hours. Central NC, where I am located (and which is actually way up in the hills of the Eastern Piedmont--a whopping 300' above sea level, but which doesn't lend itself to a "Western" motif), is presently expected to see 6-8" of snow and single digit temps between Saturday morning and Monday morning. The old diesel is fueled, a good dose of anti-gelling additive included, block heater 12 gauge extension cord deployed to her parking spot, firewood stacked and covered by the back door, food and refreshments laid-in (the beer aisle at the grocery store seems to empty almost as fast as the milk and bread aisles do), 2x 50 lb sacks of ice melt for the office sidewalks and a new snow shovel are in the truck, and the babies each have a new pair of Walmart snow boots which they'll likely wear just this once before growing out of them before our next snow.

I anticipate rising well before dawn tomorrow in order to do some volunteer driving for the retirement community where my mother lives. Most of the staff are Middle Eastern and West African immigrants with modest resources so the community's owners, personal friends of my family's for 3 generations, arranges transport to and from the facility throughout snow/ice events for any who wish to have it. I've happily participated in the transport corps for the last 10 years.The only sound likely to overcome the clattering diesel up front and the excited voices speaking strange languages in the Crew Cab backseat will be the sound of thousands of SUVs being clicked into 4WD for the first time. It's normally "dodge ball" on the streets and boulevards as the newbies rocket around in their "bulletproof" toy cars and trucks during amateur hour.

So here we go! Should be fun!

Foy

Preparation, volunteering, helping out, and bumper cars - and a new experience for the little ones!

Be safe and ride it out my friend.

I was going to get some gas this morning here in metro Atlanta for a trip to the Hiwassee NWR Sunday but couldn't even get into a gas station. Guess I'll wait until the panic subsides. ;)

We've got out own fear mongering going on out here due to the approaching "atmospheric river" (formerly known as the pineapple express). Fortunately I'm scheduled to be at work Saturday and Sunday so I'll miss the worst of the panic. Probably not much different there than here, people just can't drive in any kind of weather.

Be safe and take pictures.

Foy, Have fun. Having grown up in the Chicago area and living my adult life in Indianapolis, driving in the snow has never been an issue. Every year I watch in disbelief all of the crazy drives who either haven't driven in the white stuff, or forgot the road was snow and ice packed. Rodeo Bumper Car at its best. 4 wheel drive comes in handy. Looks like you are getting what Indy is missing. We had 2" yesterday and this morning it was 2 degrees and -8 windchill. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Good on ya Foy for the community service. Even here in frozen east Idaho, it always amazes how the first snowstorm of the fall proves challenging for the masses.

Back
Top Bottom