A Visit to Lake Superior

takesiteasy

We took a short trip to escape the heat. We didn't succeed but had a good trip anyway. Details in the blog: http://travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com/2013/07/it-was-hot.html

IMG_3995.JPG

Great trip.Sometimes the best trips are the ones that don't go according to plan,but turn out for the best.
Do you take your canoe off the camper to pop up?
As I have mentioned before,your Minnesota/Wisconsin area is a wonderful place to visit,so much to see.
Thanks for sharing your fun.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Do you take your canoe off the camper to pop up?
We usually take it off before popping the top. I've been meaning to try with it on but haven't yet. I'm sure it would be quite a bit harder to lift the front. Thanks for the comments- when are you coming this way again?

mitch h said:
Was the water still about 45 or 50 degrees?
The water was a bit warmer in the shallows in the bays with the warm weather but still cold to swim in. Here is an interesting page showing the current temps: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/lsofs/fore_temp.shtml

takesiteasy said:
We usually take it off before popping the top. I've been meaning to try with it on but haven't yet. I'm sure it would be quite a bit harder to lift the front. Thanks for the comments- when are you coming this way again?

The water was a bit warmer in the shallows in the bays with the warm weather but still cold to swim in. Here is an interesting page showing the current temps: http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/ofs/lsofs/fore_temp.shtml
Have you thought about the roof lifters.They work for us with the 12' canoe we have carried.
Not sure,but your pictures sure make it inviting.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Have you thought about the roof lifters.They work for us with the 12' canoe we have carried.
Not sure,but your pictures sure make it inviting.
Frank
Frank, we have the lifters. They work well. I just haven't tried with the canoe on top. I'm sure the back would be no problem. The front probably not either, except we usually travel with the bed extended so getting leverage to lift the canoe would be hard. If I pushed the bed back, I'm sure we could do it. Usually we are going canoeing where we camp so taking the canoe off makes sense before popping the top. -Al

Having the bed extended would make a difference.We don't extend ours at all,so lifting the front doesn't seem to be a problem.
We just aren't always at a canoeing spot so it would be a pain to take it off every time we popped up.
Actually we now have an inflatable kayak so the canoe will stay home.Haven't used the kayak yet though.
Frank

Frank, Post some pics when you get the kayak out. I'm interested to see how they work- also what they look like packed up. -Al

takesiteasy said:
Frank, Post some pics when you get the kayak out. I'm interested to see how they work- also what they look like packed up. -Al
Al,I'll do that.If you want to see a video of them in action search airkayaks .The one I have is the "blue"one from Advanced Elements.
I hope it works for us.I do like our canoe,but even at 60# as we get older it becomes harder to manage it,and even though it goes up onto the roof without much of a problem it is harder to lift.
The "blow" up one fits in the right rear of the camper seems to not take up any noticeable space.As you can see I have the dinette set up,but there is all the room on the back seat to sit on.Since it's just the two of us the little bit of bulkiness shouldn't matter.
I'll sure let you know.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN6029.jpg
    DSCN6029.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN6030.jpg
    DSCN6030.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 101
Frank, thanks for the pics, helps visualize how it would fit in ours. I'm curious to hear how it works out. -Al

Lake Superior and the Apostle Islands were my aunt's dream vacation spots. I never made it up there during my times in Wisconsin. Some time the Lady and I will make it. We sure enjoy riding along on your trips! Thanks!

ski3pin said:
Lake Superior and the Apostle Islands were my aunt's dream vacation spots. I never made it up there during my times in Wisconsin. Some time the Lady and I will make it. We sure enjoy riding along on your trips! Thanks!
Ski, I have no doubt you will make it there. Be sure to kayak to the outer islands- one of those once in a lifetime experiences. Let us know if you want company!

Back
Top Bottom