A Wander Around NM, AZ, UT

Wow highz, congrats on the retirement! May it be long and refreshing and prosperous. I'm going to save your new blog for today so the Lady & I can enjoy it together. Can't wait!.............and we just finished your very enjoyable trip report/blog. Well done! We look forward to reading many many more!

Thanks all. The geezer card more than paid for itself on that trip. I'm thinking of somewhere closer next (the gasoline budget was stressed with the last trip). Maybe the Pecos River north of the town of Pecos? Hmmm.

Great start to the rest of your life, highz! A tour of some nice areas, and you got some nice pics of those areas, too. :)

Just think -- you're no longer limited by lack of free time to do the things you want to do!

It's been a while since I was up in the Pecos country, but Elk Mountain was a great trip. Jack's Creek was a nice camp ground, right at the end of the road (63). There is an old mica mine off the beaten path (or used to be off the beaten path, maybe not so much now) east of Rd63. Beautiful country, well worth your time and money if you go when the major crowds are gone. We used to be able to find great spots to just pull off and camp but that may have changed over the years.

Thanks Mark & Argo. Thanks also for the Pecos info, Argo. I had been thinking of Jack's Creek as a jumping off point for a hike or two into the Pecos Wilderness. Your suggestion of the road to Elk Mountain is intriguing! That's road 646, right?

My map (old map here) says 645 and then 156 for the roads to Elk Mountain. Past Terrero and around Willow Creek. I don't recall any signs on the roads when I was trotting around there, just went where I felt like going with an IH 1210 4X4 and Alaskan. The mica mine was on a side track from what I am pretty sure was 156 on the map.

Another spot I intend to revisit is the Canjilon Lakes. Pretty sure you could fish there. I remember it as very pretty country in the Tierra Amarilla area.

A fun trip is to go to White Oaks and through the Jicarillas to exit near Corona. Lots of old mines there and you have to be careful where you step as the old shafts are not marked and not closed. Run down a mountain and disappear....

My map (old map here) says 645 and then 156 for the roads to Elk Mountain. Past Terrero and around Willow Creek. I don't recall any signs on the roads when I was trotting around there, just went where I felt like going with an IH 1210 4X4 and Alaskan. The mica mine was on a side track from what I am pretty sure was 156 on the map.

Thanks. I think I may need another map(s) for this area. I have the Benchmark atlas, which doesn't have quite enough detail, and the Pecos Wilderness map, which doesn't cover the Santa Fe NF area. Time to download some topos.

Another spot I intend to revisit is the Canjilon Lakes. Pretty sure you could fish there. I remember it as very pretty country in the Tierra Amarilla area.
Canjilon Lakes is on the NM Dept.of Game and Fish Fishing Report. I'm adding it to my list
smile.gif
Probably on a different trip.

A fun trip is to go to White Oaks and through the Jicarillas to exit near Corona. Lots of old mines there and you have to be careful where you step as the old shafts are not marked and not closed. Run down a mountain and disappear....

That could even be a day trip for me. I went through Ancho toward Jicarilla quite a while ago - that must be on this route.

Great ideas for nearby trips.

As an aside, the Black Canyon campground is on the East Fork of the Gila. I don't know that you could fish there, but there is an old road down the canyon to explore and that wild picnic table.

I'd have to check my maps, but I think the road through the Jics was above Ancho, along the ridge line. Anyone know about Ancho bricks??

All I know about Ancho bricks is that they shipped bricks to help rebuild San Francisco after the great quake in 1906. I have a feeling I should know more...

Back
Top Bottom