A Winter Western Wee Wander (without wagon)

It was raining when I fell asleep, but the temperature dropped overnight enough that the rain turned to snow -- even at this relatively moderate 1100 foot elevation of Happy Camp. But just barely cold enough for snow and it had turned back to rain when I poked my head outside in the morning.

_DSC8442.jpg

Here's the place as I was leaving:
_DSC8447.jpg

The final leg of my route:

2013-March_NW-California_Wander_HappyCamp-FortJones.jpg

My original plan, or at least a likely alternate plan, was to take the Indian Creek Road north and west from Happy Camp to join up with US 199...and then follow that to the California coast or head the other way up into Oregon. But I saw a sign that indicated that that road gets closed by snow, not plowed. And when I stopped at the Klamath N.F. office in Happy Camp to buy a Klamath N.F. rec map I was told that the road was indeed closed and that it's only open a few months of the year.
So...that meant I would continue on CA 96 towards Yreka/I-5.

At the edge of town I stopped to get a photo of the Klamath River, which I hadn't yet. This photo turned out so nearly colorless that I decided to turn it into full-on B&W:
2013-03_Pano-11_thumb.jpg

Full-size version: Pano-11

Onward, over a little summit then back down along the Klamath:
_DSC8472.jpg

...following the Klamath upstream a few miles past Hamburg...

Though I was headed toward Yreka...I decided that I didn't need to follow the highway to that obvious conclusion -- not without first taking a pointless "long-cut" following the Scott River from its confluence with the Klamath up towards its upper section at Fort Jones (remember, that I'd already encountered the Scott's very-upper reaches at Callahan the day before...at the start of my near-circumnavigation of the Marble Mountains.) So I headed up (south-ish) the Scott River Road.

_DSC8478.jpg

The Scott River Road is very similar to the Cecilville Road -- paved but less than 2-lanes wide -- but there are a lot more homes along the way. Still scenic, but without quite as much of a middle-of-nowhere feeling, due to the human habitation.

But still empty enough to allow wildlife to flourish:
_DSC8496-sasquatch.jpg

I usually don't like to have people in my photos, but this fellow isn't quite a person, so I included this shot anyway. It's amazing that even in an otherwise sharp photo a sasquatch (the native word for Bigfoot) comes out blurry.
huh.gif
Maybe they exist in a slightly different dimension than ours...could explain a lot, I think.
cool.gif

2013-03_Pano-12_thumb.jpg

Full-size version: Pano-12

_DSC8512.jpg

Eventually the Scott River canyon opened up a bit:
2013-03_Pano-13_thumb.jpg

Full-size version: Pano-13

At this point, just upstream of the photo above, I walked out on a bridge to shoot a 360° panorama...just for sumpin to do:
Pano-14
Here's one segment of that 360° pano:
_DSC8571_2_3_tonemapped.jpg

And finally the upper Scott River Valley broadens out as it nears Ft. Jones, where the Scott River Rd joins CA highway 3:
2013-03_Pano-15_thumb.jpg

Full-size version: Pano-15

-----------------------------------------
2013-March_NW-California_Wander.jpg

This was a fun jaunt on roads that I've mostly never traveled...nor do many others. Even though it was raining most of the time, it was beautiful.
As a native of California (central and northern
cool.gif
) and a naturalized citizen of Oregon I think I can speak from both perspectives. California has some very empty / super-rural areas -- more than most people realize...and you don't have to be in the middle of the Mojave to experience them.
My route circled a couple of well-known backpacking/wilderness destinations -- Trinity Alps and Marble Mt Wilderness -- but without even leaving the pavement I had a middle-of-nowhere experience.
Very nice....imagine what it would have been like with a little more sun!
smile.gif

THE END.

Nice photos Mark.But I think you got a picture of Ted there playing as a "big foot".I am going to have to take that road sometime.The river looks like it has good fishing spots.
Frank

Thanks for the great trip report and photos. Your report points up in a good way what we all know that some of the best places to explore aren't necessarily well-known destinations or far from home. I agree with Frank- looks like some good potential fishing spots.

I haven't been up in that area in many, many years. What a treat to see your great photos and read your report. I'm glad to see it doesn't seem to have changed much.

Oh, and love the 'Squatch photo. I think he was just wanting a ride into town.

Wanting a ride into town? I've seen that look a hundred times. He was about to panhandle. Hmmm, maybe both?

I haven't been up in that area in many, many years. What a treat to see your great photos and read your report. I'm glad to see it doesn't seem to have changed much.

Oh, and love the 'Squatch photo. I think he was just wanting a ride into town.

Same for us, it's been several years since we've been through that area and never an extensive circle like you have done. Great trip and wonderful photos and story, thanks for letting us enjoy it too. I wondering if the bigfoot had a shake-board and held on to your bumper for that lift into town?

What an enjoyable trip report. I have not visited this part of our great state and am looking forward the exploring it in the futrue.

Thanks, all -- glad you got something out of it. I enjoy creating trip reports...but not as much as I enjoy the trips!
biggrin.gif

I don't know anything specific about fishing on any of the 4 rivers I traveled next to...but the Salmon had lots of beautiful deep pools and riffles in the canyon.
smile.gif

:LOL:

Nice trip report, reminds me of all those trips I used to make with my old VW and later the truck---you know those preFWC days of living out of a tent (who could afford a motel room) or in the back of the truck and under the camper shell with the dog, my girl friend (when I was lucky) and a case of beer watching it rain on my smoldering campfire and collapsed tent! Ah, those were the days of great exploring!

Smoke

The woman in the forks of the salmon "store" is a little nutty but generally friendly. They usually have gas for sale as well, not always. There is also open wifi there and at the Somes bar store.
The horses and cows if you see them are "domestic". The county is kind of unique, they do not require that people fence in their animals. If you don't want them on your property, you are responsible to keep others animals out (but good luck keeping the bears and deer out of the garden).
If you go back in the summer be sure to check out the fire lookouts. They are all manned during fire season and the rangers are really friendly and happy to let you come up and enjoy the view, and tell you about local areas to check out, swimming spots etc.

The woman in the forks of the salmon "store" is a little nutty but generally friendly. They usually have gas for sale as well, not always. There is also open wifi there and at the Somes bar store.
The horses and cows if you see them are "domestic". The county is kind of unique, they do not require that people fence in their animals. If you don't want them on your property, you are responsible to keep others animals out (but good luck keeping the bears and deer out of the garden).
If you go back in the summer be sure to check out the fire lookouts. They are all manned during fire season and the rangers are really friendly and happy to let you come up and enjoy the view, and tell you about local areas to check out, swimming spots etc.

Thanks for the insider info, brianjwilson!
smile.gif
Do you live in the area or are you just a frequent-visitor/fan?

Thanks for the insider info, brianjwilson!
smile.gif
Do you live in the area or are you just a frequent-visitor/fan?

I spent a ton of time there as a kid, mostly in spring and summer. My grandparents are part owners in a big property out there with a couple cabins and small homes, some old ones built in the early 1900s, and a couple newer small homes/cabins like the one that we built 12-15 years who.
As you pass the Nordheimer campground on salmon river highway, their property is up the gravel road across the street. Gated off about one mile up the road. My wife and I spent a week out there last summer as I hadn't been there in 7+ years, I love it out there.

Don't mean to poop in your thread but here are a couple from last summer if you think about going back... I'd be happy to remove them from the thread if you'd like as well.

98097649.jpg

4d7e7636.jpg

1cb03346.jpg

1a6321b2.jpg

0ec20aa9.jpg

024852b2.jpg

I spent a ton of time there as a kid, mostly in spring and summer. ........
Don't mean to poop in your thread but here are a couple from last summer if you think about going back... I'd be happy to remove them from the thread if you'd like as well.

Wow -- very nice. Thanks for sharing again. Yeah, I know I need to go back there when it's NOT raining and it's warmer...even though I won't have it as all-to-myself during the normal visitor season, I'm sure.
wink.gif

And if the photos bothered me I'd remove them...I'm a Moderator here.
biggrin.gif
They're fine -- and welcome.

That particular lookout is Eddie Gulch Lookout, east of forks of the salmon, if anyone is curious.
I think I've been to Orleans lookout when I was a kid but don't remember for sure.

The area really isn't busy during summer. Sometimes people are out riding bicycles on the salmon river highway, or white water rafting groups come through. Otherwise it's still pretty quiet, especially during week days.

Back
Top Bottom