AC/DC Inverter install

Star152

Well it stopped raining so I installed an AC/DC inverter into the camper. The first step I bought a 1000 watt inverter from Costco for $58.00. The price is right but the unit does not come with a fuse or extra wires. I also found an auto supply web site that sells fuses and other stuff at a good price. Bteam did a great job on his install the switches he used are quite expensive. I also went to Westmarine ant the fuses and holders also cost more than the inverter. The site www.sherco-auto.com I bought a fuse holder 2 fuses (1 extra) and a key switch all for about $31.00. also you need to buy fasteners and extra wires. The best spot for the inverter was under the sofa. I choose to place the route of the hook up as follows battery, switch, fuse, inverter. The reason I placed the switch before the fuse was because the fuse holder had a LED indacator and I did not want to have it drain the battery. The reason I even installed a switch is the inverter has a draw even when the inverter switch is turned off. I placed the switch and I did not like the way it stuck out. I flush mounted it. Everything works………. I plan to place a double plug setup at the stock location. The fuse size is ANL 150 amp.

Attachments

• IMG_4788_1_1.JPG
    IMG_4788_1_1.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_4792_5_1.JPG
    IMG_4792_5_1.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_4794_7_1.JPG
    IMG_4794_7_1.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_4795_8_1.JPG
    IMG_4795_8_1.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 465
Keep in mind if you use it for any length of time, aside from draining your battery, its going to generate a fair amount of heat. Make sure it has good ventilation.

A 1kW inverter can generate a fair bit of heat - be sure not to cram stuff around it. You might want to leave the turn buckle door just a bit open and place a spacer on the edge of the box so that the a gap is left between it and the lid. This also gives a slight backward tilt to the bench, which makes sitting noticeably more comfortable.

I used the same switch (for a different purpose) - and mounted it just the way you did. I got the switch at Kragen. What's nice about it is that in the on position, the key stays in the switch. In the off position, the big red key is removed, so the state of the switch is very obvious.

Looks good. 1000 watts is a lot of power... I think star is going to be mixing a lot of margaritas :D

Thanks for the info on the heat. I think the access port for the turn buckle will let in air. I have been thinking about putting the door on the outside and using velcro and bug screen on the inside........bteam yer right cocktails all around

Back
Top Bottom