AC power not working when plugged into shore power 2017 Hawk

mctacoslayer

Hey WTW'ers

I just received my 2017 Hawk (whoot! will post some pics soon!)..Took it out for a easy weekend to a site with shore power to learn the unit. Plugged it in, and noticed at first the fridge did not switch to AC power mode. then I tested the AC outlets and nothing. The DC components work and are getting power (battery charging, USB/cigarette lighter ports work, etc) so its an AC power thing. What should I be checking to troubleshoot the problem?

thanks!

T

First check the outlet at the camp site to be sure its on, if it is good then check the breakers in the camper. Still no volts and I would contact FWC.

In my 2016 Grandby, I had the same problem. What I found is a 5 amp fuse behind the black grill where the converter is positioned. Replacing the fuse gave me the 120 volts at the GFCI outlet, but didn't solve my problem of no 12 volt. Be sure you circuit breakers are off when you hook up to shore power to prevent any surge that might blow that fuse.

camper rich said:
In my 2016 Grandby, I had the same problem. What I found is a 5 amp fuse behind the black grill where the converter is positioned. Replacing the fuse gave me the 120 volts at the GFCI outlet, but didn't solve my problem of no 12 volt. Be sure you circuit breakers are off when you hook up to shore power to prevent any surge that might blow that fuse.
It turns out that the 5 amp fuse next to the converter is not for the converter. It is actually for the running lights on my 2016 Grandby. It was a red herring. My converter still doesn't work, we suspect a loose wire somewhere within the cabinet.

You shouldn't have to turn circuit breakers off or anything off to plug into shore power. Anytime you plug into shore power you want to make sure the power is off at the campground plug in before you plug in the camper. jd

Beach said:
First check the outlet at the camp site to be sure its on, if it is good then check the breakers in the camper. Still no volts and I would contact FWC.
Piggy backing on Beach's comments I was advised when we bought our camper to buy a power cord that had a light on the female end indicating that there was indeed power from the campsite. It has helped on a couple of occasions.

Did you pull the silver kill switch?
I don't know about the new campers but my 2013 has a tiny light on the cover of the outside plug. I can tell instantly if the camp ground has power.

idahoron said:
Did you pull the silver kill switch?
I don't know about the new campers but my 2013 has a tiny light on the cover of the outside plug. I can tell instantly if the camp ground has power.
Mine, also. Lasted about one year until the little blue LED cried "uncle!" Sigh. Sometimes it was more easily seen reflected off the siding & definitely better in the dark. Now, I rely on the small green LED on the AC outlet panel and the voltage displayed on the Zamp charge controller.

Paul

We purchased a 30-amp extension cord and a 30-amp surge protector. The sure protector also has a lite. Again make sure the campsite power is off before plugging in. We also bought a 50-amp pigtail, so we are completely covered when staying at campgrounds with electric. 3 different lights to confirm power is working, inside camper, at outside plug and surge protector. Jd

longhorn1 said:
We purchased a 30-amp extension cord and a 30-amp surge protector. The sure protector also has a lite. Again make sure the campsite power is off before plugging in. We also bought a 50-amp pigtail, so we are completely covered when staying at campgrounds with electric. 3 different lights to confirm power is working, inside camper, at outside plug and surge protector. Jd
Longhorn, I just purchased a 30 amp 10 gauge extension cord and a 30 amp surge protector also. My issue is the female end of the extension cord is way bigger than the plug of the FWC 30 amp pigtail. I've been told to get a 30 amp male to 15 amp female pigtail to connect to the FWC pigtail. Seems like I'm losing 15 amps or 1875 watts of potential power by doing this. How did you address this issue? Thanks.

strayDog said:
Longhorn, I just purchased a 30 amp 10 gauge extension cord and a 30 amp surge protector also. My issue is the female end of the extension cord is way bigger than the plug of the FWC 30 amp pigtail. I've been told to get a 30 amp male to 15 amp female pigtail to connect to the FWC pigtail. Seems like I'm losing 15 amps or 1875 watts of potential power by doing this. How did you address this issue? Thanks.
PS.Used to live in Greenfield In. not far from you! Great country.

strayDog, our 30-amp cord is 30'. The female end that attaches to camper has a gray cap that screws onto the threads at the power access and the male end plugs into shore power. Our 30-amp surge protector plugs into the shore power and the 30amp plugs into the surge protector. 20170421_172457_resized-2.jpg

longhorn1 said:
strayDog, our 30-amp cord is 30'. The female end that attaches to camper has a gray cap that screws onto the threads at the power access and the male end plugs into shore power. Our 30-amp surge protector plugs into the shore power and the 30amp plugs into the surge protector.
attachicon.gif
20170421_172457_resized-2.jpg
Thanks longhorn1, this will work!

Back
Top Bottom