Acadia National Park

You will be disappointed trying to hike with your pups because no pets are allowed past the tollgate at Baxter State Park.

Thanks for the Acadia photos and report.

Doug Stewart said:
You will be disappointed trying to hike with your pups because no pets are allowed past the tollgate at Baxter State Park.

Thanks for the Acadia photos and report.
Thanks a lot Stew, I just looked it up and am greatly disappointed. I do understand why, but at the same time I don't. It's hard for people that dogs are like a part of their family (and are better behaved than some human beings!). Oh well. I guess that's what we get having our dogs.

We are now looking up either some BLM dispersed or private campgrounds. Any suggestions (if you know the area outside of Baxter?)?

We share your pain. We travel with our dog rocky, who is way better behaved than many people we see. But we also see pets that are out of control. Like everything, a few bad apples spoil it for the rest of us.

Thanks for the report on Acadia. We hope to get there one day.

There is only a bit of National Forest land far to the west and no BLM land in Maine as far as I know. Most of the North Woods is privately owned by the logging industry. I know that camping (developed and dispersed) is allowed on much of this private land but don't know any details. Roxanne Quimby, of Burt's Bees fame, owns 120,000 acres near Baxter SP and I've read that she's closed some roads and may have limited camping, hunting, and fishing. Again I don't have the details. Quimby's ultimate plan is to give her huge tracks of land to the feds for a new national park.

I do know that there are a number of lodges and commercial campgrounds around Millinocket, the closest town to Baxter SP. A visit to a Millilocket outfitter or sporting shop will likely get you the info you need about dispersed camping on local private logging land, just don't mention you approve (if you do) of Baxter SP, the proposed national park, or Quimby. There are a number of resorts on lakes along the road to Baxter so I bet you can find a nice spot in a commercial CG, if needed.

Good luck!

Enjoyed the TR. Acadia looks great. I, too share your frustration about dogs on trails in the NPs. Some of the less visited parks allow dogs on some trails, like the Black Canyon of the Gunnison (unless it has changed since last year).

Doug Stewart said:
There is only a bit of National Forest land far to the west and no BLM land in Maine as far as I know. Most of the North Woods is privately owned by the logging industry. I know that camping (developed and dispersed) is allowed on much of this private land but don't know any details. Roxanne Quimby, of Burt's Bees fame, owns 120,000 acres near Baxter SP and I've read that she's closed some roads and may have limited camping, hunting, and fishing. Again I don't have the details. Quimby's ultimate plan is to give her huge tracks of land to the feds for a new national park.

I do know that there are a number of lodges and commercial campgrounds around Millinocket, the closest town to Baxter SP. A visit to a Millilocket outfitter or sporting shop will likely get you the info you need about dispersed camping on local private logging land, just don't mention you approve (if you do) of Baxter SP, the proposed national park, or Quimby. There are a number of resorts on lakes along the road to Baxter so I bet you can find a nice spot in a commercial CG, if needed.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot for all of your suggestions! We looked up some public reserved land right next to Debsconeag Wilderness area, called Nahmakanta. There's a campground there that appears to allow dogs and accommodate our truck. The Appalachian trail runs through it also. It's gated and has a day charge and from what I kind find, allows dogs. Wish us luck! Maybe we'll have a view of Mt. Katahdin.

Back
Top Bottom