Accessing the spare tire

Fernweh

Advanced Member
How do folks access their spare tire underneath the bed if you travel with a loaded camper and your camper extends out of the box. Our gate is down, and the access point to the extension to lower the spare down is blocked. Some people have suggested getting the extension set on the screw, and turning the extension with a pipe wrench underneath the truck. Slow going, but doable if you to.

We have a 2000 tundra, any suggestions are strategies would be great. We really don't want to carry the spare anywhere else if Wecan help it.

Do you need to have the rear gate?
If you can live without the tailgate then the spare tire isn't a problem.
I have an 02 Tundra with a Bobcat and can get to the access hole with out any issues.
Don't think I would want to crawl under the truck to use a pipe wrench on the lowering screw.

What camper do you have?
Frank

I have a Dodge 2500 shortbed and the camper will extend out over the tailgate. The first thing I checked before we ordered our Grandby is if I could lower the spare with the tailgate down. The jack handle will work through the winch hole just fine, just need to use one more section of it to clear the tailgate.

Why would they design a truck where you couldn't lower the tailgate and still access the spare?

Since my initial post I have been able to experiment with extensions to my lowering tool. I had a friend fashion a section that helped me extend out past the tailgate. It's a slow crank down, even slower crank up, but it seems to work. I'll try to post some pics if folks are interested. It's snowing today, so the pics will have to wait.

No access problems with my Dodge 2500. One would think it's part of the design criteria. After all as a work truck the tailgate is often lowered as an extension of the payload bed.

Take off the gate. I have a 2005 tundra doublecab with an 80's era Fleet and its what we (have to) do. Reduces weight! Looks better. Gate wasn't doing anything anyway. Provided a bit of a step off the back of the camper but is not missed.

Back
Top Bottom