ACCII 7" metal plaque

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member
Over a decade ago, I saw on the rear exterior of an old and very well used Alaskan Camper a round metal plaque signifying membership in the Alaskan Camper Club International, Inc. Boundless desire immediately arose. A few years ago I was blessed to purchase a minty Alaskan Camper Club Int'l Inc. round metal plaque that is 7-1/4 inches in diameter, along with a "The 49'ers" topper that presumably was from a California chapter. These had since been kept safely indoors to preserve their great condition. But they begged to be displayed on my 1966 8 foot NCO Alaskan.

Last week, while approaching my truck from the rear with a brand new DeLorme Wyoming Atlas and Gazetteer in hand, inspiration struck me like a bauxite thundernbolt. For years my Alaskan had a piece of cardboard duct-taped to the inside of the lower door window for privacy. Now it was time to upgrade.

I cut a piece of an old camper interior panel to size, centered the plaque and topper on it, then drilled the uneven mounting holes. The panel was sanded and coated with Amber Shellac. After drying, the plaque and topper were mounted with machine screws and acorn nuts on the inside so towels hanging from a vintage towel rack yet to be mounted across the top inside of the lower door would not catch on regular hex nuts or exposed threads.

The panel was mounted to the inside of the lower door using the four screws that held the metal window frame in place. Centering the wood panel on the interior window frame and lightly hammering each corner created four centerpunches for drilling the unevenly spaced mounting holes. I took out the four phillips screws in the interior window frame, placed the wood panel against it and screwed the panel to the door. Privacy returned.

The benefit of mounting the ACCII plaque and "The 49'ers" topper in this interior location is that they are readily visible from the outside yet remain protected from the weather and prying hands. They show up very well against the darker side of the old wood panel while the lighter side indoors blends in nicely with the Alaskan's interior wood. I'm very happy with this lovely display of Alaskan Camper history. :)

Attachments

• ACCI plaque on wood low res.jpg
    ACCI plaque on wood low res.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 238
  • ACCI plaque on door inside low res.jpg
    ACCI plaque on door inside low res.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 195
  • ACCI plaque on rear door outside view low res.jpg
    ACCI plaque on rear door outside view low res.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 160
Great, something else to keep an eye out for :)
I wasn't even aware that there was a club

Back
Top Bottom