Add a furnace to 65 NCO

I am thinking on adding a furnace to a camper that never had one. Wondering where original would have been mounted in a 1965 NCO, type, etc. Its getting cold out here in Colorado...

I have an old catalytic heater. I installed it beneath my oven (which was installed after this picture was taken). It has a shut off valve behind the cabinet.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCN0449.JPG
    DSCN0449.JPG
    374.5 KB · Views: 196
Hi Colo here is a thread relating to the safety of unvented gas heaters thats current in the camping and gear section of WTW.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3699/

As to where to install a furnace. I think i have seen pictures showing a furnace under the left side seat with an outlet grill facing into the camper under the table. It depends on whether you have your water tank there and whether there is enough room on the front side of the tank. Or alternately put it on the other side under the other seat,this area is usually empty. You could "T" into your stove gas line and put a shut off valve before the furnace. Venting to the out side might be a problem from the furnace in these places because you would have to vent into the space in front of the wheel well and it might not be adequate. How about in the back right hand corner, then you can vent out the back of the camper in the bottom section. Then it does not matter whether the camper is raised or lowered.If you come up with a solution let me know.I want a furnace too. Cheers, Kevin.

I have an old catalytic heater. I installed it beneath my oven (which was installed after this picture was taken). It has a shut off valve behind the cabinet.

Hi Mike, how do you handle venting your catalytic heater.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Hi Mike, how do you handle venting your catalytic heater.

Cheers,

Kevin.

I simply keep at least 2 windows cracked even during the coldest days during Elk season. BTW, Everyone should install a Carbon Monoxide alarm. I think this a good idea even if you have an exterior vented heater. In addition, it's on my checklist to test it before I leave the driveway on a trip.

Mike

I simply keep at least 2 windows cracked even during the coldest days during Elk season. BTW, Everyone should install a Carbon Monoxide alarm. I think this a good idea even if you have an exterior vented heater. In addition, it's on my checklist to test it before I leave the driveway on a trip.

Mike

Your catalytic looks like would put out some Btu's but does it burn the ankles? The easiest and cheapest is an UN-vented propane heater, I'm thinking on running a supply hose in and mount a small round infrared heater that are so common, maybe on top of the tall cabinet with the mirror? Venting would be through cracked window as suggested or cracked roof vent. The low oxygen shutoff feature or a battery powered carbon monoxide sensor sounds like a must. Excuse my ignorance but does carbon monoxide replace oxygen as it is used up.

Your catalytic looks like would put out some Btu's but does it burn the ankles? The easiest and cheapest is an UN-vented propane heater, I'm thinking on running a supply hose in and mount a small round infrared heater that are so common, maybe on top of the tall cabinet with the mirror? Venting would be through cracked window as suggested or cracked roof vent. The low oxygen shutoff feature or a battery powered carbon monoxide sensor sounds like a must. Excuse my ignorance but does carbon monoxide replace oxygen as it is used up.

Yes, it does get a bit warm if you get too close to the heater. However, I use this feature to advantage. At night, I hang my damp socks opposite the heater and they are dry and toasty in the morning.

Positioning the heater in a high position will leave the floor cold as heat rises.

The carbon monoxide is a byproduct of the propane consuming the oxygen. Another byproduct of the combustion process is water. Cracking the windows will vent most of this moisture. That said, you will still get condensation on the metal parts of the window due to the temperature differential between the interior and exterior temperatures. Be sure to cover the small forward window in the lower unit as the condensation on the metal frame will soak a sleeping bag over night. Been there, done that. I cut a piece of door skin (1/8" plywood), stuck velcro to it and the window frame to hold it in place. End of problem.

Finally, as I previously posted, install a battery powered CO detector and check it before you leave the driveway.

Mike

Hi Colo here is a thread relating to the safety of unvented gas heaters thats current in the camping and gear section of WTW.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3699/

As to where to install a furnace. I think i have seen pictures showing a furnace under the left side seat with an outlet grill facing into the camper under the table. It depends on whether you have your water tank there and whether there is enough room on the front side of the tank. Or alternately put it on the other side under the other seat,this area is usually empty. You could "T" into your stove gas line and put a shut off valve before the furnace. Venting to the out side might be a problem from the furnace in these places because you would have to vent into the space in front of the wheel well and it might not be adequate. How about in the back right hand corner, then you can vent out the back of the camper in the bottom section. Then it does not matter whether the camper is raised or lowered.If you come up with a solution let me know.I want a furnace too. Cheers, Kevin.

Good advice. The lower part of the door maybe? Make it removable for storage? Just a thought. (Un-vented)

Good advice. The lower part of the door maybe? Make it removable for storage? Just a thought. (Un-vented)

I've seen it on the front of the lower cabinet door which covers the jacking location before..

I don't have a heater either....for the venting reason...more sweaters and jackets as needed.

Photos of my 65. F250 purchased to haul it. Thinking of mounting a small propane tank (11 lb) to a plate attached to unitstrut. Bolt holes were already there. I added the unistrut. Wonder what the original bolts at that location were used for?

Attachments

• SANY0014.JPG
    SANY0014.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 183
  • SANY0021.JPG
    SANY0021.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 177
  • unistrut.JPG
    unistrut.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 198
  • SANY0020.JPG
    SANY0020.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 175
Hi Colo, Great looking Alaskan and Truck.The camper looks very clean and in good condition as does the Truck. What year is the Truck? Did you fix your gutter problem.
I brought a Mr Heater Big Buddy catalytic heater today. I will try it out tonight,we had our first frost last night and will have one tonight as well. In Canada the buddy's are being advertised as for outside use only and they are not to be used over 7000 ft. The Elevation is not a problem for me, we have nothing over 2700 ft. I have to get a CO detector now as per Mike's suggestion. :)

Cheers,
Kevin.

Thanks Kevin. Trucks a 94 with a International diesel, and has an oversize turbo. It also has 170 k but seems to run well. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I put the old bent up gutter back on. That'l be down the road.
Your heater should work good. Watch out for blizzards closing up your vents. Advertised to heat the outdoors. That would take a lot of Canadian propane...

Back
Top Bottom