Adding a propane compartment, furnace to shell model

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric
Site Team
So, if a person was to have nearly clinched a deal on a bare shell model without a propane system, what are the steps/parts I would need to get to add propane and a heater?

I spotted these threads:

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/1285-well-i-chucked-the-ice-box/?hl=%20propane%20%20compartment

https://performancegearresearch.wordpress.com/2015/03/04/four-wheel-camper-eagle-shell-propex-heatsource-hs2000-furnace-install/

But can't find anything on actually adding in a propane compartment.

I also kind of like the idea of having the propane tank outside like the propex heater thread shows, but mounted to the camper vs taking up space inside.

Thoughts? Ideas and pictures are most welcome!

You can also buy the propane box kit from Four Wheel campers. The space on the back of the camper is already framed in. Just cut out the siding and install the exterior door. Ron

I ordered the 4wc box and door for my keystone shell. I had to cut it one if the interior welded bars, fab up a wood spacer for the screws to go into and then made spacers that kept the box the right height from the floor. Worked out well. I still need to plumb it but it shouldn't be a problem.

Here is where the propane compartment is mounted.

This shell is made for the older lay down style propane tank and door. I'm updating to the new removable double tank bottles and door.

To do this took a little engineering. First I had to remove the lower upper brace to make the new taller narrower door fit.
2989eb882e36adb2b5fd286a5b0970bb.jpg

The door test fitting.
8d087954ef74311207967bd7836e94e2.jpg

The wood is cut into a u shape. The bottom has a metal piece you can screw into but the other side's don't.

This is the new size door with the new size bottles so it doesn't fit perfectly. The old style lay down bottle and larger door was what this late 2000's camper was built for.

a9f94072ad829f49a5b3a077b8f29459.jpg

efbd6b51417a5290d481d8ec678a457b.jpg

Where the metal sheet is with the holes is the furnace exhaust. I tried to build it into a different spot but now I'm putting it back there. The furnace mounts on the face of your cabinet and the exhaust mounts to the outside where that plate is.

8b5eb9e44db803028ce8ad8f0a74fffc.jpg

This was the first version and I was going to put the furnace to the right of the big cabinet. I've now made a new cabinet that is 2 or 3 inches wider like the stock one to put the furnace in the stock location.
013052fa3412673ee3226d6b151ce87c.jpg

liftedlimo said:
Where the metal sheet is with the holes is the furnace exhaust. I tried to build it into a different spot but now I'm putting it back there. The furnace mounts on the face of your cabinet and the exhaust mounts to the outside where that plate is.

8b5eb9e44db803028ce8ad8f0a74fffc.jpg

This was the first version and I was going to put the furnace to the right of the big cabinet. I've now made a new cabinet that is 2 or 3 inches wider like the stock one to put the furnace in the stock location.
013052fa3412673ee3226d6b151ce87c.jpg
Great Work. If you don't mind me asking what did FWC want for the door and propane locker? I am in the process of doing the same thing to my falcon.

I think it was a couple hundred bucks for both parts. It's a little steep, but all the other options I researched were less storage and more hassle not to mention just as expensive.

Advocate said:
Even if they have a vent at the bottom of the box inside, as a safety measure to the main vent's blockage, the door venting could be better located towards the bottom. Propane is heavier than air, right?
Yes, but in reality no. This is a standard "RV" propane door with the louvers on top facing down that has more surface area then all of my other campers combined. If you take a trip to the camper store you will find many (if not most) campers dont use propane vented doors anymore probably because they are more expensive than normal baggage doors. FWC still does and I think it is a good idea to have door venting and also satisfies most RV laws. Im sure there is a law about how many square inches of venting a propane compartment must have. In my experience, most campers use a baggage door with a small plastic vent cut out on the inside. My FWC door had 3 times the venting then my buddy's brand new Lance slide in's plastic mounted vent. My other 2 pull behind campers have exterior bottles.

Yes, in theory, a second vent in case a large squirrel, groundhog or some animal of that size somehow managed blocked the door vents and ate through the propane lines at night without waking me up, another vent would helpful. The only feasible scenario for myself that I can see the door vent plugging up would be if I backed into a snowbank. But, I wouldn't be able to use the camper door if I did that. Have you ever plugged up a louvered vent that is around 1/2 square foot of surface area? Bee's nest plugging the door maybe?

That being said, I am adding a floor drain to my propane box to mitigate the squirrel death scenario, and add the ability to hose out the massive amounts of dust that accumulate on the back of vehicles on those long dusty northern haul roads I like to travel.

"If you don't mind me asking what did FWC want for the door and propane locker? I am in the process of doing the same thing to my falcon."

I just paid $65 for the box, $48 for the door.

Thanks for all the pics... will be doing this soon too!

Vic Harder said:
"If you don't mind me asking what did FWC want for the door and propane locker? I am in the process of doing the same thing to my falcon."

I just paid $65 for the box, $48 for the door.

Thanks for all the pics... will be doing this soon too!
Vic thanks for the reply. I will be ordering the door and locker from FWC on Tuesday.

I would like to add propane and a catalytic heater to my 2016 Fleet shell. Problem for me is that mine came with a battery box that is on floor rear driver side and from the pics it looks like that is where the propane cabinet would go. So where would I relocate the battery? Or is there an alternative spot for the propane cabinet?

If you go to my gallery there are photos of the interior.

Back
Top Bottom