Adding interior lights to a FWC

Krist003

I am going to add another light fixture in the over cab portion of my Hawk camper (inside on the ceiling).
I was wondering if anyone knows how the wires are routed to the the lights and fan in the ceiling. Do they run inside the framing or along side of it? Hoping I can cut a slit in the ceiling fabric and intercept the wires that go to the light over the stove/sink area. Then just use some tap connectors to add another light fixture.

Krist003 said:
I am going to add another light fixture in the over cab portion of my Hawk camper (inside on the ceiling).
I was wondering if anyone knows how the wires are routed to the the lights and fan in the ceiling. Do they run inside the framing or along side of it? Hoping I can cut a slit in the ceiling fabric and intercept the wires that go to the light over the stove/sink area. Then just use some tap connectors to add another light fixture.
Contact Stan at FWC,he would be the best source for that info.
Frank

I was able to add two additional ceiling lights to make a total of four lights. Just as you suggest, I cut a small slit in the ceiling fabric and snaked wire above the fabric from the existing light fixture to the added/new fixture location. Rather than trying to intercept the factory wire, I just I ran two new wires (pos/ground) straight forward from the existing light over the cooktop to a position over the bed area. Also, I ran wire on the other side of the camper from existing fixture back to a position near the rear of the camper. While adding the new fixtures, I repositioned the existing fixtures so the rear one is now directly over the cooktop (moved it rearward) for better lighting at the cooktop. I am really happy with this setup.

Once you unscrew/remove the existing fixture you will see that the factory wires are above the fabric next to the framing pieces. If I recall correctly, it is only possible to run new wire forward/rearward from existing fixtures (not across the camper) due to the frame pieces.

I was able to pick up power at the fan for another light with dimmer and power for a fan.

Attachments

• 20220919_110153_resized.jpg
    20220919_110153_resized.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 104
Great info. I will just run some new wires from the existing fixtures or the fan. That makes the most sense. Thank you both

Back
Top Bottom