Additional ?'s on ice chests

Silvertip47

The Chair Bandit
Do you drain the water out, does ice melt faster in just air or leaving it in the melted water?

Anyone use dry ice? Any tricks to it?

The water thing is tough cuz the ice DOES melt faster if the water is drained out, but having a lot of water in the cooler makes it very difficult to secure you food from water infiltration. If you were serious about getting maximum life out of your ice, the thing to do would be to have all your food in appropriate sized waterproof plastic containers, and to retain most of the water from the ice melt.

Coleman agrees with DD. Dry ice is tough to use with mixed foods. If you just to keep stuff frozen its great. Not that I know this personally, but dry ice and eggs don't get along.

The water thing is tough cuz the ice DOES melt faster if the water is drained out, but having a lot of water in the cooler makes it very difficult to secure you food from water infiltration. If you were serious about getting maximum life out of your ice, the thing to do would be to have all your food in appropriate sized waterproof plastic containers, and to retain most of the water from the ice melt.

We actually prepare a bunch of meals at home and vacuum seal them, then freeze them. That keeps the water out and adds frozen material (food) for more coldness. I think I could last a week on this system. I recall one person freezing some 1L water bottles and using that for ice- the melt won't ruin food and you can drink the cold water too.

While this doesn't answer your question as stated, it is another trick for keeping your cooler cold for as long as possible. It works great when you are near a source of water, and/or in a dry climate, and/or it is windy.

Use evaporative cooling (a.k.a a swamp cooler) to keep the outside of you cooler(s) as cold as possible. That is, put a sheet, blanket, or my favorite - a thin terry cloth towel, over and around your cooler(s), and keep that fabric wet. The reason I like a thin terry cloth towel is that it holds onto the water just long enough. Sheets dry off to fast, and have to be re-wetted more than is convenient, and thick terry cloth towels hold onto the water too well, hence they don't allow as much water to evaporate, which in turn, means less evaporative cooling.

What I was taught to do with food is to double zip-lock bag it. Leaving the water in means that all of the ice must first melt before the water/ice/food volume can raise it's temperature above ~32*f. Removing the water means that the air surrounding the food can easily be warmer than the remaining ice.

Another benefit of leaving the water in the cooler is that the water/ice solution acts as secondary suspension for the beer. Which results in rough roads not shaking up the beer nearly as much.

What I was taught to do with food is to double zip-lock bag it. Leaving the water in means that all of the ice must first melt before the water/ice/food volume can raise it's temperature above ~32*f. Removing the water means that the air surrounding the food can easily be warmer than the remaining ice.

Another benefit of leaving the water in the cooler is that the water/ice solution acts as secondary suspension for the beer. Which results in rough roads not shaking up the beer nearly as much.

Unfortunately zip lock bags really aren't up to the job of preventing water infiltration - especially over multiple days of off-road shaking.

Unfortunately zip lock bags really aren't up to the job of preventing water infiltration - especially over multiple days of off-road shaking.

Would something like Seal a Meal work better?

When I do my Alaska trip, we put hundreds of pounds of fresh sockeye Salmon into food saver bags and vacumn pack it using a Food Saver brand machine that sells for less than $100. Go with the quart bags or any appropriate sized bags and your vacumn failures will be minimized. Do not make your own bags. The bags can be expensive--so buy your bags in quanity on sale only in the winter time.

I suppose "seal a meal" is similar to Food Saver.

Best to ya.

Attachments

• Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 010.JPG
    Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 010.JPG
    483 KB · Views: 115

Using Food Saver/Seal a Meal has another added benefit: you can boil food right in the bag. On windy days when a fire isn't an option, I've boiled food in the bag. Also makes clean up SO much easier. "Dirty" meals aren't so dirty.

They seemed to hold up well to several days of pre-running the Baja 1000 in '02. You do need to be very exact about sealing them, can not do it casually and expect it to work. We were down in Baja for a week without wet food trouble. Some of them would have a little water inside of the first bag, but none had any water inside the second bag.
My fiance' buys a zip-lock type of bag that has two sets of locking ribs and the bags are a little heavier than usual. I would seek out what ever those are.

Using Food Saver/Seal a Meal has another added benefit: you can boil food right in the bag. On windy days when a fire isn't an option, I've boiled food in the bag. Also makes clean up SO much easier. "Dirty" meals aren't so dirty.

The practice of heating any food in plastic (either boiling or Microwaving) should be avoided until at least the year 2050. By then research will be clear about the lack of or abundance of carcinogenic effects of heating plastic with food.

Add years to your life and life to your years by focusing on healthful living. Remember our food supply is tainted in many ways. The purpose of selling food to us is to make money --not to keep us healthy.

Best to you all for many years.

Attachments

• Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 011.JPG
    Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 011.JPG
    481.2 KB · Views: 107
The practice of heating any food in plastic (either boiling or Microwaving) should be avoided until at least the year 2050. By then research will be clear about the lack of or abundance of carcinogenic effects of heating plastic with food.

Add years to your life and life to your years by focusing on healthful living. Remember our food supply is tainted in many ways. The purpose of selling food to us is to make money --not to keep us healthy.

Best to you all for many years.

I certainly appreciate your concerns and share them myself. However, I think you are over reacting. First, these plastics are designated as safe for cooking in by way government standards and approval. Second, not all plastics are the same (here's a quick read on it). Third, even if you don't trust the gov's standards or science, ALL "poisoning" is a matter of dose. A few meals a year isn't going to amount to hill a carcinogens (I use glass at home). Maybe by 2050 we'll know which is more significant: eating meat cooked over the flame, the fats and cholesterol in that meat, boiling a few meals in the bag, inhaling exhaust while on the highway or stress from worrying about everything we do.

By the way, for those who are really concerned about BPA and other stuff in your water bottles, please note that MOST stainless steel water bottles have a plastic coating on the inside. As far as I can tell, Kleen Kanteen is the only one that is pure stainless with no coating.

I certainly appreciate your concerns and share them myself. However, I think you are over reacting. First, these plastics are designated as safe for cooking in by way government standards and approval. Second, not all plastics are the same (here's a quick read on it). Third, even if you don't trust the gov's standards or science, ALL "poisoning" is a matter of dose. A few meals a year isn't going to amount to hill a carcinogens (I use glass at home). Maybe by 2050 we'll know which is more significant: eating meat cooked over the flame, the fats and cholesterol in that meat, boiling a few meals in the bag, inhaling exhaust while on the highway or stress from worrying about everything we do.

By the way, for those who are really concerned about BPA and other stuff in your water bottles, please note that MOST stainless steel water bottles have a plastic coating on the inside. As far as I can tell, Kleen Kanteen is the only one that is pure stainless with no coating.

I enjoyed the read. Here is a simple philosophy that I use. If I want to be a national champion, I study and train in the techniques, skills, and training patterns of previous national champions in my sport. This practice takes me far in the national rankings and gives me victories over many national champions. Applying this approach to health should provide excellent results. The longest living sub group in the USA is the Seventh Day Adventists living around Loma Linda, California.

So when I want to learn a health habit, I look to the national champions in longevity--their practices are time tested and get results that go down in history. Seventh Dayers recommend we do not heat any food in plastic anything.

Although I am not a Seventh Day Adventist, I strongly recommend you follow their dietary and health practices. The consequences of following a lesser standard can be permanent. Best to ya folks.

Attachments

• Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 012.JPG
    Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 012.JPG
    490.5 KB · Views: 111
I agree, whats up with this plastic stuff? Toss a big hunk of meat on the barbie, layer on the cheese, huge chunks of bacon, wash it down with a good beer and enjoy. You can even add lettuce and tomato if you want to be extra healthy :rolleyes:

I enjoyed the read. Here is a simple philosophy that I use. If I want to be a national champion, I study and train in the techniques, skills, and training patterns of previous national champions in my sport. This practice takes me far in the national rankings and gives me victories over many national champions. Applying this approach to health should provide excellent results. The longest living sub group in the USA is the Seventh Day Adventists living around Loma Linda, California.

So when I want to learn a health habit, I look to the national champions in longevity--their practices are time tested and get results that go down in history. Seventh Dayers recommend we do not heat any food in plastic anything.

Although I am not a Seventh Day Adventist, I strongly recommend you follow their dietary and health practices. The consequences of following a lesser standard can be permanent. Best to ya folks.

That's a good point. I'm pretty familiar with the SDA study. In fact, if you scrutinize the findings, they aren't sure whether it's their diet (there are other active vegetarian groups around the world who don't live as long, so what makes the SDA special?), their faith (reducing stress) or genetics (probably a fluky combination). Since they don't know the actual cause (correlation is not causation), then I'll wait until 2050. While waiting, I'm having a burger. To each his own. :D

We do know some things about what is good and bad for us, but that is all dwarfed by what we don't know. I have decided the motto "everything in moderation" is a decent standard. That even means excess, in moderation :D Of course none of this applies is you are pregnant, then stay away from all those nasty chemicals that can alter the developing neural system, not something to mess with.

That's a good point. I'm pretty familiar with the SDA study. In fact, if you scrutinize the findings, they aren't sure whether it's their diet (there are other active vegetarian groups around the world who don't live as long, so what makes the SDA special?), their faith (reducing stress) or genetics (probably a fluky combination). Since they don't know the actual cause (correlation is not causation), then I'll wait until 2050. While waiting, I'm having a burger. To each his own. :D

Actually there have been a multitude of studies on the 7th Dayers due to their extended life. I eat burgers--love them--favorite is Moose Burger, Bison Burger, and Elk Burger. Beef is a money crop and generally not designed for health--beef is designed to make money--big money--but there is healthy beef out their--harder to find--but doable.

I went over 30 years without eating deep fried food--Deep frying is in our culture because it is fast cooking and fast money. Small changes in human behavior can have major changes in health and longevity--more trips to Zion, Alaska, BC, Alberta, etc.

How is it our USA has the highest levels of Osteoporosis and the highest consumption of Dairy products? "Got Milk?" The Dairy Industry developed and placed the first "Food Pyramids" in our classrooms. Money drives the myths to extremes in America.

Beer-good. Out of beer-bad. :D Tip of the year: flood your body with omega 3 oils--reduce your omega 6 oils and you will be amazed at the results.

Attachments

• Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 020.JPG
    Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 020.JPG
    477 KB · Views: 98
Actually there have been a multitude of studies on the 7th Dayers due to their extended life. I eat burgers--love them--favorite is Moose Burger, Bison Burger, and Elk Burger. Beef is a money crop and generally not designed for health--beef is designed to make money--big money--but there is healthy beef out their--harder to find--but doable.
Agreed. The beef burger is rarity for me; we eat bison regularly. Have no idea where to find moose or elk though.

I went over 30 years without eating deep fried food--Deep frying is in our culture because it is fast cooking and fast money. Small changes in human behavior can have major changes in health and longevity--more trips to Zion, Alaska, BC, Alberta, etc.
Deep fried is definitely bad. No argument there. I occasionally have fries with that very very infrequent beef burger. Maybe twice a year. Deep fried bad, but taste so good. mmmm...chicken fried steak...drooool

How is it our USA has the highest levels of Osteoporosis and the highest consumption of Dairy products? "Got Milk?" The Dairy Industry developed and placed the first "Food Pyramids" in our classrooms. Money drives the myths to extremes in America.
It's a good question indeed.

Beer-good. Out of beer-bad. :D Tip of the year: flood your body with omega 3 oils--reduce your omega 6 oils and you will be amazed at the results.

fish oil supplements!

We actually agree on quite a bit. I just don't think a couple dozen meals in plastic per year is something to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom