Additional ?'s on ice chests

All of that worry about plastics and this and that and then ya put alcohol in your body?

Talk about being brainwashed by a society.

GOTT has always been the best ice chest I've found when it comes to off-the-shelf purchases. Still have one that is 20+ years old.

Probably why they don't make em anymore. LOL.

be safe all

mtn

Or y'all could go iceless as I have for the last decade or so. Well, I was, and perfectly happy to not need to worry about ice and coolers and what-not. Then I got a GF now fiance'. Funny how all of that changed.....
So then I tried to put the ARB fridge, that was payment for storing a car (long story), into play. She has been pretty resistant to that, too.

Agreed. The beef burger is rarity for me; we eat bison regularly. Have no idea where to find moose or elk though.

Deep fried is definitely bad. No argument there. I occasionally have fries with that very very infrequent beef burger. Maybe twice a year. Deep fried bad, but taste so good. mmmm...chicken fried steak...drooool

It's a good question indeed.

fish oil supplements!

We actually agree on quite a bit. I just don't think a couple dozen meals in plastic per year is something to worry about.

Yes we do have a lot of common practices.

I don't worry about heating food in plastic. I just don't do it--like french fries, I just don't eat them. Likewise I only grill in cast iron and steel--time tested.

I do drink up to 3 beers in a 24 hour period. If I go over 3 or lose count, which might happen once a year or everyother year, I don't drink again for 48 hours. A simple system that recognizes that small quantities of alcohol are healthy --anymore --not good.

As a retired health educator, I know that nutrition is not an exact science as it relates to human health. Politics and capitalism have provided a difficult filter for nutritional "fact".:D

Attachments

• Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 009.JPG
    Outfitter Caribou 8 in Colorado Mountains 009.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 120
Politics and capitalism have provided a difficult filter for nutritional "fact".:D

Indeed

We actually prepare a bunch of meals at home and vacuum seal them, then freeze them...
That is how my wife and i prepare the majority of our meals before a trip also. Though i do ponder 'what ifs' such as; if we go on an extended journey is this mode of meal preparation sustainable/duplicatable? If not, how would we modify meal-prep?

Oh, my wife and i are real healt-nuts. We've utilized some of the boil-in-bag meals but i believe they were in some sort of mylar?? not really plastic. We've thought of boiling meals in the seal-a-meal bags but i thought i saw some sort of warning on the bag-box for doing so?

more ramblin. cheers!
Thom

That is how my wife and i prepare the majority of our meals before a trip also. Though i do ponder 'what ifs' such as; if we go on an extended journey is this mode of meal preparation sustainable/duplicatable? If not, how would we modify meal-prep?

Oh, my wife and i are real healt-nuts. We've utilized some of the boil-in-bag meals but i believe they were in some sort of mylar?? not really plastic. We've thought of boiling meals in the seal-a-meal bags but i thought i saw some sort of warning on the bag-box for doing so?

more ramblin. cheers!
Thom

The seal-a-whatever brand I buy says it is safe to boil (I think they are even safe for microwaving). I'll take their word given I'm not ingesting food this way all the time.

On longer trips, we'll end up cooking traditionally once our pre-packaged meals run out- canned veggies, fresh fruit, salad-in-a-bag, pasta and grilled meats (of course!). Haven't been on the road longer than about 8 days, so it hasn't been a problem. We do keep a lot of sandwich and gallon zip locks handy. We found that keeping things extra sealed up prevents that question of "is everything contaminated with salmonella now that the chicken/sausage/whatever seams to have fallen off the ice and into the water"?

Back
Top Bottom